Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 68 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2018, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #76
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
But DxO, Capture One and Aftershot simply refuse to load the files as they appear to check the manufacturer and model in EXIF and ignore any files not on their supported camera lists.
I guess that's why DxO has to list the Samsung GX-20 separately (and provide specific modules for it). If it didn't, the software wouldn't recognize images from it, even though it's a clone of the Pentax K20D.

Your story about "Phocus" takes the prize Mike.

11-13-2018, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #77
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Your story about "Phocus" takes the prize Mike.
I thought you might like that Poor show for a re-bodied Sony A99 they expected to sell for $11,500, right? Of course, that included a $2k lens, a very nice carry case, a premium Italian leather strap and Lightroom 5... but still...

Just one of Hasselblad's major faux pas with the HV and its other Sony-partnership cameras
11-14-2018, 07:39 AM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I thought you might like that Poor show for a re-bodied Sony A99 they expected to sell for $11,500, right? Of course, that included a $2k lens, a very nice carry case, a premium Italian leather strap and Lightroom 5... but still...

Just one of Hasselblad's major faux pas with the HV and its other Sony-partnership cameras
I would be curious if the files could easily be edited to show the Sony a99 data and circumvent the software that recognizes an a99 but not the HV.
11-14-2018, 08:09 AM   #79
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I would be curious if the files could easily be edited to show the Sony a99 data and circumvent the software that recognizes an a99 but not the HV.
I seem to remember that I managed to do that for Aftershot, but if I recall the white balance and/or colour profile was all over the place. That could be a false memory, though... It was a while back...

11-14-2018, 11:01 AM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just updated to photoLab2

For some strange reason everyone seems to think DXO won't be around. They just released a nice update for PL a month or so ago and now they have released PL2 doesn't sound much like they plan to shut down any time soon. Plus, by buying the software it will continue to work on into the future. But feel free to continue with the Adobe fleece the flock model.
11-14-2018, 07:19 PM   #81
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
For some strange reason everyone seems to think DXO won't be around. They just released a nice update for PL a month or so ago and now they have released PL2 doesn't sound much like they plan to shut down any time soon. Plus, by buying the software it will continue to work on into the future. But feel free to continue with the Adobe fleece the flock model.
I recently purchased PL 2 and Film Pack, and purchased Nik several months ago, so I'm banking on DXO's survival. As for the Adobe "fleece" model, I am not happy with that situation, but I will admit to loving Lightroom, having used it since v.2. But for about the past year I've been looking into alternatives to see if there's a life outside of Adobe that I can adjust to. PL comes close, but there are issues, such as an almost complete lack of decent tutorial material. Fortunately I think PL is pretty intuitive, but there are areas such as implementation of control point technology from Nik that I'm still trying to fully grasp (they don't work quite the same as in the Nik plugins). And for now, Lightroom is the only software that is a viable host for the Nik plugins (I have Affinity Photo but Nik does not work properly with it). If DXO would integrate the Nik plugins, and Affinity Photo continues to mature (for the things that PL doesn't do) I could drop Adobe.
11-15-2018, 10:13 AM   #82
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My experience with DxO vs Adobe gives the win to Adobe in the Fleecing Olympics. DxO has been slow to support Pentax, and now wants to charge me to get limited K-1ii support. Lr/Ps was WAY ahead of them, as were other software providers. And Nik? nice idea, but even Adobe hasn't acquired free plugins and then turned around and charged for them with no meaningful changes in the software.

Not only that, but other than getting Pentax K-1ii support and some lenses, the PL1 to PL2 upgrade is meh.

Whether they'll be around, who knows. I liked PL1 and have owned their software for quite a while (version 5? can't remember). But others have caught up. And DxO's support for new cameras in general, and Pentax in particular maybe, is lacking. Maybe that's a result of their troubles, I dunno. So I won't be contributing to their continued success. Especially after they told me they wouldn't support DNGs from my K-1ii if I had added stuff like keywords. And I don't care about license models, who's bigger, etc, just about who supports my equipment and how quickly, and who gives me value for money. YMMV. If they did disappear that would leave a lot of image adjustments in the lurch. I converted mine to TIFF and/or exported them to Lr just in case.

11-15-2018, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barthovis Quote
I recently purchased PL 2 and Film Pack, and purchased Nik several months ago, so I'm banking on DXO's survival.
I trust that you bought the PL2 Elite version as it has the more bells and whistles for RAW development. The main reason I bought PL last year was for the Prime noise reduction and the NIK UPoint Technology they have incorporated.

As for the Adobe "fleece" model, I am not happy with that situation, but I will admit to loving Lightroom, having used it since v.2. But for about the past year I've been looking into alternatives to see if there's a life outside of Adobe that I can adjust to. PL comes close, but there are issues, such as an almost complete lack of decent tutorial material.
I tried to like Lightroom but just couldn't wrap my head around their asset management system and at my age I didn't see the point in learning about their system and continually having to pay for the programming updates. There are some pretty good online tutorials from DXO users. Their in house tutorials have been pretty scarce until 2018 Here are some recent PL/PL2 tutorials: Tutorials | DxO Blog

Fortunately I think PL is pretty intuitive, but there are areas such as implementation of control point technology from Nik that I'm still trying to fully grasp (they don't work quite the same as in the Nik plugins). And for now, Lightroom is the only software that is a viable host for the Nik plugins (I have Affinity Photo but Nik does not work properly with it). If DXO would integrate the Nik plugins, and Affinity Photo continues to mature (for the things that PL doesn't do) I could drop Adobe.
The local adjustments in PL2 are very close to what the NIK plugins do they are just implemented differently. For instance there is actually no real need for NIK Define as the DXO Prime Noise Reduction does a much better job. It would be nice, though, if they could integrate NIK Silver EFEX Pro2 into PL2 s it stands now you have to purchase DXO Film Pack to get close to Silver EFEX Pro2 and Analog EFEX Pro2.
11-15-2018, 11:05 AM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
My experience with DxO vs Adobe gives the win to Adobe in the Fleecing Olympics. DxO has been slow to support Pentax, and now wants to charge me to get limited K-1ii support. Lr/Ps was WAY ahead of them, as were other software providers. And Nik? nice idea, but even Adobe hasn't acquired free plugins and then turned around and charged for them with no meaningful changes in the software.

Not only that, but other than getting Pentax K-1ii support and some lenses, the PL1 to PL2 upgrade is meh.

Whether they'll be around, who knows. I liked PL1 and have owned their software for quite a while (version 5? can't remember). But others have caught up. And DxO's support for new cameras in general, and Pentax in particular maybe, is lacking. Maybe that's a result of their troubles, I dunno. So I won't be contributing to their continued success. Especially after they told me they wouldn't support DNGs from my K-1ii if I had added stuff like keywords. And I don't care about license models, who's bigger, etc, just about who supports my equipment and how quickly, and who gives me value for money. YMMV. If they did disappear that would leave a lot of image adjustments in the lurch. I converted mine to TIFF and/or exported them to Lr just in case.
Well enjoy your Adobe products.
11-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #85
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For some strange reason everyone seems to think DXO Pentax won't be around. They just released a nice update camera/lens… doesn't sound much like they plan to shut down any time soon. Plus, by buying the software camera/lens it will continue to work on into the future.
Variations on a theme.

There are some pretty good online tutorials from DXO users. Their in house tutorials have been pretty scarce until 2018 Here are some recent PL/PL2 tutorials: Tutorials | DxO Blog
See also https://www.dxo.com/dxo-academy/ This demonstration by Jochen Kohl is helpful: Workflow with DxO PhotoLab: from the camera to the export - DxO But I'd like to see more.

Last edited by Des; 11-15-2018 at 01:35 PM.
11-15-2018, 01:34 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Variations on a theme.
Strange how that works!
11-15-2018, 08:16 PM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well enjoy your Adobe products.
Thanks; I do. I wish they had motion correction and handheld pixel shift support for my K-1ii, but only Pentax and Rawtherapee has that (the former anyway). But at least they support regular pixel shift. I forgot to test whether DxO supported that before I uninstalled it.
11-16-2018, 08:38 AM - 3 Likes   #88
Forum Member

I trust that you bought the PL2 Elite version as it has the more bells and whistles for RAW development. The main reason I bought PL last year was for the Prime noise reduction and the NIK UPoint Technology they have incorporated.

I tried to like Lightroom but just couldn't wrap my head around their asset management system and at my age I didn't see the point in learning about their system and continually having to pay for the programming updates. There are some pretty good online tutorials from DXO users. Their in house tutorials have been pretty scarce until 2018 Here are some recent PL/PL2 tutorials: Tutorials | DxO Blog

The local adjustments in PL2 are very close to what the NIK plugins do they are just implemented differently. For instance there is actually no real need for NIK Define as the DXO Prime Noise Reduction does a much better job. It would be nice, though, if they could integrate NIK Silver EFEX Pro2 into PL2 s it stands now you have to purchase DXO Film Pack to get close to Silver EFEX Pro2 and Analog EFEX Pro2.
I did buy the Elite version (both PL and Filmpack). It's always the Elite version that has the features I want...

I only minimally utilize Lightroom's asset management features. I think for pros who manage hundreds of thousands of images it's a good system, but I don't need it. I've only had PL a few weeks and haven't spent any time yet on figuring out their Library feature, but I think it will do what I need.

The control points in PL work somewhat differently than in the Nik plugins, and I'm still getting a handle on masking out areas where the adjustment is not wanted. There is an online help file explaining it (somewhat), but an in depth video would be very helpful.

---------- Post added 11-16-18 at 09:50 AM ----------

Variations on a theme.

See also DxO Academy - DxO This demonstration by Jochen Kohl is helpful: Workflow with DxO PhotoLab: from the camera to the export - DxO But I'd like to see more.
I have watched the Kohl videos, but it would be nice if there were actual courses on DXO products, going into more depth. I have access to Lynda, which has dozens of in depth courses on Photoshop and Lightroom, and even a few on Affinity Photo and Nik plugins. I'd really like to see something like that with PhotoLab and FilmPack.

As for the "theme", I've only been a Pentax owner for a few months, and DXO user for a few weeks (after many years of using Nikon and Adobe products), so what have I got myself into

Last edited by barthovis; 11-16-2018 at 03:32 PM.
11-16-2018, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #89
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have watched the Kohl videos, but it would be nice if there were actual courses on DXO products, going into more depth. I have access to Lynda, which has dozens of in depth courses on Photoshop and Lightroom, and even a few on Affinity Photo and Nik plugins. I'd really like to see something like that with PhotoLab and FilmPack.
For sure. Kohl's video on PL was good, but I wanted to ask, for example, why he used a brush rather than a control point or automask for the buildings on the right, when he said he didn't need to be very precise. The user guide is clear enough but too sparse - and it's no substitute for a hands-on "how-to" guide.
As for the "theme", I've only been a Pentax owner for a few months, and DXO user for a few weeks (after many years of using Nikon and Adobe products), so what have I got myself into
This is where you finish up when you leave the herd! There's bunch of us strays here on a lonely mountainside.
11-16-2018, 01:31 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did buy the Elite version (both PL and Filmpack). It's always the Elite version that has the features I want...

I only minimally utilize Lightroom's assessment management features. I think for pros who manage hundreds of thousands of images it's a good system, but I don't need it. I've only had PL a few weeks and haven't spent any time yet on figuring out their Library feature, but I think it will do what I need.

The control points in PL work somewhat differently than in the Nik plugins, and I'm still getting a handle on masking out areas where the adjustment is not wanted. There is an online help file explaining it (somewhat), but an in depth video would be very helpful.

---------- Post added 11-16-18 at 09:50 AM ----------

You might want to look at this blog it has a bit of insight about "negative" adjustments which have to be implements first in the adjustments workflow. The Colors of Autumn | DxO Blog