Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2018, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #1

Pentax Digital Camera Utility - installation

So you have purchased a new-to-you Pentax DSLR and would like to have the Pentax software installed. Problem is that you don't have the CD that came with the camera. You can go to the Pentax site and download the software but it's called an update and won't install without the original software or CD... Well, seems that you don't need the original CD or the software installed on your computer to be able to install the software.

1) Download the software here, you can download the version 4 or 5 (your preference), the 64bit version 5 would be the better software if your computer can handle it: Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

2) Get a SD card or USB drive and insert into the computer.
3) Rename the card or drive S-SW90 for use with version 4
4) Rename the card or drive S-SW140 for use with version 5

Nothing has to be on the card or drive, they just have to be renamed.

Run the updater software that you downloaded above and just choose the defaults as it installs.

09-25-2018, 06:31 PM   #2

Thanks for the helpful tips, I hope we will so much more from you. And Welcome to Pentax Forums.

This has been well documented in the following threads (there are more):
How to install the PPL Upgrade when you don't have the orginal disk or PPL installed - PentaxForums.com
Installing Digital Camera Utility with no CD drive - PentaxForums.com
Pentax Digital Camera Utility (DCU) - How to install it on a Mac - PentaxForums.com

Note: On Windows 8 and 10 you can just continue (do not cancel) after the installation program complains of no CD or previous version. It will continue with the installation as long as you do not cancel.
09-26-2018, 08:23 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Thanks for the helpful tips, I hope we will so much more from you. And Welcome to Pentax Forums.

This has been well documented in the following threads (there are more):
How to install the PPL Upgrade when you don't have the orginal disk or PPL installed - PentaxForums.com
Installing Digital Camera Utility with no CD drive - PentaxForums.com
Pentax Digital Camera Utility (DCU) - How to install it on a Mac - PentaxForums.com

Note: On Windows 8 and 10 you can just continue (do not cancel) after the installation program complains of no CD or previous version. It will continue with the installation as long as you do not cancel.
Okay.. sorry but I did a search before I posted and didn't find anything. I've only installed on Windows 10 machines so far and did have to use the SD/USB drive trick.
Closed Thread