Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2018, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Capture One for Fuji Medium Format

Capture One will now support a competitor to the PhaseOne system, namely the Fuji GFX. It is the first rival medium format camera system to be supported - Pentax 645 has always been sidelined. Perhaps this is an opportunity to get the software for the 645Z too - it would be a real bonus.
Apologies if this has already been posted before - I did not find it in that case.

09-27-2018, 07:16 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder if Phase One are beginning to realise there's money to be made from other folks in the medium format world?

It'll be interesting to see if Capture One remains a perpetual license product or, like Adobe, goes to a subscription model eventually...
09-27-2018, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I wonder if Phase One are beginning to realise there's money to be made from other folks in the medium format world?

It'll be interesting to see if Capture One remains a perpetual license product or, like Adobe, goes to a subscription model eventually...

CaptureOne have both types of product, Subscription and one payment model, as they usually release a new version every year, its kinda the same, if you upgrade your software is cheaper than one year subscription but the initial invest its more than the year, maybe one thing even the other, and as CaptureOne is not as popular as Adobe PS+LR, maybe they dont need to change the way they work (and i hope remains the same)
09-27-2018, 08:01 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
CaptureOne have both types of product, Subscription and one payment model, as they usually release a new version every year, its kinda the same, if you upgrade your software is cheaper than one year subscription but the initial invest its more than the year, maybe one thing even the other, and as CaptureOne is not as popular as Adobe PS+LR, maybe they dont need to change the way they work (and i hope remains the same)
Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that they already used both models...

09-27-2018, 09:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Capture One will now support a competitor to the PhaseOne system, namely the Fuji GFX. It is the first rival medium format camera system to be supported - Pentax 645 has always been sidelined. Perhaps this is an opportunity to get the software for the 645Z too - it would be a real bonus.
Apologies if this has already been posted before - I did not find it in that case.
I'm sure Fuji and Phase One exchanged some big $$$ for the partnership. Each hopes the partnership will result in more future sales without needing to cannibalize current sales. The partnership also positions Capture One as a targeted, high product. Adding too many partners here could dilute the product. Capture One would start becoming a general purpose package then.

Don't get me wrong here. I think it would be awesome if Phase One stopped excluding the 645Z. It's not like excluding the 645Z lead to an increase of sales in their Phase One branded hardware.

I think I read unsubstantiated rumors here or elsewhere that Ricoh or Hoya seriously upset the folks at Phase One with something. Phase One doesn't just say "no" to adding the 645Z. They say, "NNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! "
09-27-2018, 03:53 PM   #6
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I'm sure Fuji and Phase One exchanged some big $$$ for the partnership. Each hopes the partnership will result in more future sales without needing to cannibalize current sales. The partnership also positions Capture One as a targeted, high product. Adding too many partners here could dilute the product. Capture One would start becoming a general purpose package then.

Don't get me wrong here. I think it would be awesome if Phase One stopped excluding the 645Z. It's not like excluding the 645Z lead to an increase of sales in their Phase One branded hardware.

I think I read unsubstantiated rumors here or elsewhere that Ricoh or Hoya seriously upset the folks at Phase One with something. Phase One doesn't just say "no" to adding the 645Z. They say, "NNNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! "
Lets get real here.
Something in Pentax's past (Pentax/Hoya - Ricoh is an afterthought) got under Phase One's skin. Phase One does not recognize:
  1. Pentax lens metadata.
  2. Pentax camera serial number.
  3. Pentax tether capabilities.
  4. Pentax Pixel shift - or any manufactures version of pixel shift - if this gets into Capture One - it will be Sony only.
  5. Pentax 645Z - without ExifTool changing the metadata to Phase One.
  6. Pentax "modern" lens profiles.
Some of us have been sending requests into Phase One to have Capture One provide better support for Pentax (as they call them) 35mm cameras. I have for nearly the last twelve years. (started with v3) The don't, they won't they do not see why they should.

Sorry to break it to you, but your dream is just that. Our only hope is that Ricoh decides that the Pentax brand is worthless and sells it to Phase One for patents and other things. Then Phase One would cover it, however grungily.
Phase One has stated explicitly that they will not support the 645Z just like they said that they will not support Hasselblad.
09-28-2018, 07:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Lets get real here.
Something in Pentax's past (Pentax/Hoya - Ricoh is an afterthought) got under Phase One's skin. Phase One does not recognize:
  1. Pentax lens metadata.
  2. Pentax camera serial number.
  3. Pentax tether capabilities.
  4. Pentax Pixel shift - or any manufactures version of pixel shift - if this gets into Capture One - it will be Sony only.
  5. Pentax 645Z - without ExifTool changing the metadata to Phase One.
  6. Pentax "modern" lens profiles.
Some of us have been sending requests into Phase One to have Capture One provide better support for Pentax (as they call them) 35mm cameras. I have for nearly the last twelve years. (started with v3) The don't, they won't they do not see why they should.

Sorry to break it to you, but your dream is just that. Our only hope is that Ricoh decides that the Pentax brand is worthless and sells it to Phase One for patents and other things. Then Phase One would cover it, however grungily.
Phase One has stated explicitly that they will not support the 645Z just like they said that they will not support Hasselblad.
Agree!

I have read about 645Z users using the EXIF tool to strip off a lot of the Pentax specific info to import their images. Sounds kind of cumbersome. Also, I think I read user successfully importing unprocessed TIFF files into C1 somehow. That may be easier? I don’t know.

I always thought someone like Sony would buy C1 but it turns out the platform has grown enough on its own to stand solid. Good for them!

10-22-2018, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I think I read unsubstantiated rumors here or elsewhere that Ricoh or Hoya seriously upset the folks at Phase One with something.
I don't believe there is any substance to such rumours.

I believe Phase One just focuses on the big brands due to economical reasons. There is just not a lot of money to be made by supporting Pentax, and fixing problems or creating new functionality is not possible without some investment. For instance, Phase One does not use vendor-supplied software when supporting tethering (which may be one of the reasons why their tethering solution is much better than Adobe's). Hence, they would have to develop Pentax tethering support from scratch with a doubtful prospect of recovering the cost of development.

I'm not saying that every Phase One decision makes sense -- for instance basic support for the 645Z would cost next to nothing -- but I have difficulty believing that they deny proper Pentax support out of spite.