Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2018, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Don`t know if your motherboard supports one but if it does, give it a consideration.
OS support is crucial too, Windows 7 does not work with M.2 drives. Only current Operating systems can take full advantage of M.2 drives.

10-04-2018, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The computer has a 240gb ssd; a 4 gb video card memory; 16 gb RAM; and 2 TB hard disc
The basic specification seems fine for PS and LR although the SSD may be a little small if you have a lot of applications. If this is the case then consider loading some applications on your 2TB spinner (be aware that some applications will still take some SSD space) to leave room for the heavier duty applications.

Ideally keep at least 25% free space on SSD - they too will/can experience slow down when near full.

As stated earlier PS will use as much RAM as you have, or rather allow it to make use of. Make changes in Preferences depending on your system. 16GB should be plenty for most users even running concurrent applications (video editing excluded!). Set up your scratch disk in this case to use your SSD as this is the fastest at data transfer if needed and also a secondary target of your HDD.

Key to PS running and memory requirements, keep an eye on the Efficiency indicator. PS slowdowns will occur if the system running out of RAM as the program will need to read from the scratch disk. If you find that it is constantly dropping and staying below 90% (and you get a noticeable slow down) then the indications are that the system would benefit from either allocating more memory or increasing the physical RAM. Note PS will write to scratch disk regardless of RAM amount, this will not slow performance, but having to read data back from scratch is the slow down culprit.
10-04-2018, 09:04 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I am getting a new computer with Win10 OS (new to me), a SSD (new to me) and a traditional hard drive.

i won't be storing photographs on the SSD as I don't want to fill it up, but is there an advantage in installing programs such as Adobe Photoshop on the SSD rather than the hard drive ?
Use the SSD as the primary swap drive for Photoshop. You will be amazed at how much faster things are once you run out of RAM.
10-04-2018, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the help everyone.

Installing everything right now !!

10-04-2018, 04:48 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
OS support is crucial too, Windows 7 does not work with M.2 drives. Only current Operating systems can take full advantage of M.2 drives.
This is from WIN 10 slave
10-04-2018, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
This is from WIN 10 slave
I'm still using Windows 7 - A lot of the audio recording hardware interfaces I use only work with windows 7, i'm not breaking my computer just to be part of the "IN' Crowd*.

I also work extensively with Linux.

* I'm in the process of building a water cooled Mini ITX PC based upon this design:
However i'm using Borosilicate glass pipes rather than chromed Brass, and instead of heavily purified water i'm going to experiment with using 98% deuterium oxide.
10-04-2018, 08:01 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

However i'm using Borosilicate glass pipes rather than chromed Brass, and instead of heavily purified water i'm going to experiment with using 98% deuterium oxide.
Fancy, now ain't we? Good deal!

10-04-2018, 10:48 PM   #23
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

and instead of heavily purified water i'm going to experiment with using 98% deuterium oxide

I guess that puts paid to brewing a cup of tea with it!!
10-05-2018, 12:53 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I guess that puts paid to brewing a cup of tea with it!!
D2O isn't directly toxic, but it messes up enzyme functions and cellular metabolic pathways. I wouldn't recommend drinking it in large quantities.

The reasons why i'm trying D2O is:

1] Being 10% denser than water, will that equal greater thermal efficiency?
2] It Shouldn't require corrosion inhibitors as it is chemically more inert than water.
3] There shouldn't be any problems with algae and biofilm build up due to it's general incompatibility with organisms.

..and if the coolant pump fails, will that result in me getting my own private Chernobyl?
10-05-2018, 01:24 AM   #25
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

1] Being 10% denser than water, will that equal greater thermal efficiency?

There would be two aspects to this wouldn't there?
A) the ability to store heat
B) the ability to transmit heat (like copper)
10-15-2018, 07:09 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just built a similar small setup with old/new spare parts I had, it only has 8GB of ram, and mainly using LR when ever I do use it; how do I set it so that the photos are stored on the 2nd hard "regular" drive while the actual program is on the SSD?