Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2018, 03:30 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
SSD drive and Photoshop

I am getting a new computer with Win10 OS (new to me), a SSD (new to me) and a traditional hard drive.

i won't be storing photographs on the SSD as I don't want to fill it up, but is there an advantage in installing programs such as Adobe Photoshop on the SSD rather than the hard drive ?

10-03-2018, 03:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
SSD works in the same way from the front end, but is considerably faster than traditional drives. Ideally, it would all be on SSD...but if you have a small SSD and a large traditional drive, the manufacturer intended that the OS and programs would be on the SSD and the other drive used for file storage. This is fine and you'll see a massive difference in responsiveness.
10-03-2018, 03:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've done the SSD upgrade on my Win 7 system and there was a significant improvement in Photoshop performance partly from general OS improvement but also from the faster loading of PS program modules.
10-03-2018, 03:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes, installing the system and Photoshop on the SSD makes it significantly faster.

10-03-2018, 05:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the SSD is in fact an M.2 drive* Photoshop will indeed be start up fast.

*which have on average, 3gb/s read speeds.
10-03-2018, 06:52 AM   #6

After I switched to a SSD on my iMac, I can't say I noticed Photoshop RUNNING a lot faster. But then I do most of my work in Lightroom, with only occasional Photoshop use.

What I did notice is Photoshop (and all other aps) now LOAD much faster. I have my Mac set to open JPEGs in Photoshop by default, and I sometimes accidently double click a JPEG when all I want to do is just select it - so it's not uncommon for me to accidentally launch Photoshop. That used to be a major annoyance because it took so long to launch, but now it's only mildly irritating.
10-03-2018, 07:22 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found if you use your extra drive for your scratch disk in Photoshop it speeds things up also.

10-03-2018, 08:25 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the help folks
10-03-2018, 09:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Since you have both SSD and regular hard drive, I suggest that you install the OS (system) and programs (applications) such as Photoshop on the SSD drive to speed up the process while working in Photoshop. I would keep the regular hard drive to store and keep data only.
10-03-2018, 10:59 AM   #10

I made this upgrade a 4 years ago.. I have been very satisfied with the result since... I've had a lot of trouble with regular drives failing over the years.
10-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #11
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The programs will indeed open faster but they won't process images any faster unless you have very limited RAM and your processor is utilising swap space on the SSD drive.
10-03-2018, 02:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

How much RAM does your machine have? Can you expand it?
Maybe put the money into RAM instead of an SSD. It will help tremendously for working on large files.
PS will use all the memory it can before going to disk. If you don't need to hit anything but RAM, you can use TAPE for all it cares and you won't notice a slowdown (until you quit and reload the program) :-)

But if you are sick and tired of the time it takes for all of your programs to load, SSD will help a bit.
Just the overall beginning of project to end of project, that time savings is probably pretty minimal.
10-03-2018, 04:38 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your SSD will be a treat. I was impressed with the performance gain when I went that route.
Enter m.2 NVMe, it is roughly 4X faster than my Samsung 850 evo SSD.
Don`t know if your motherboard supports one but if it does, give it a consideration.
10-03-2018, 05:08 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The computer has a 240gb ssd; a 4 gb video card memory; 16 gb RAM; and 2 TB hard disc
10-03-2018, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

16GB should be fine, although if you do use LR & PS at the same type and tend to work on larger projects, 16GB is gonna be on the small side.
I have 64GB, but struggle to make the computer use more than 32GB even with PS and Lightroom running at the same time... except on my larger projects.

If you are not running out of RAM, an SSD won't make much of a difference other than initial loading.