Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PEF & Lightroom - HELP

I had a few settings issues on holiday and didn't have the manual or regular internet access to help me sort it out. I'm not sure how but the RAW file format on my K3II changed from DNG to PEF.

I use Lightroom 4. I haven't upgraded as I don't want to be held to ransom by Adobe. When I started loading the memory cards a few hundred photos show up as PEF and Lightroom 4 doesn't seem to support them.

Any advice would be appreciated

Also the map for the gps tagging is now inaccessible. It reads as offline.

10-04-2018, 10:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Use the Adobe DNG converter to convert the PEF files to DNG. Then import them into Lightroom. Might want to remove them from LR first if they were already imported.

Digital Negative (DNG), Adobe DNG Converter | Adobe Photoshop CC
10-04-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Use the Adobe DNG converter to convert the PEF files to DNG.
This ^ ^ ^

QuoteOriginally posted by JimD Quote
I use Lightroom 4. I haven't upgraded as I don't want to be held to ransom by Adobe.
It may be too late, but Adobe was still selling the perpetual license for LR v6. It is a substantial upgrade from v4. and may be worth doing.

Steve
10-05-2018, 12:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It may be too late, but Adobe was still selling the perpetual license for LR v6. It is a substantial upgrade from v4. and may be worth doing.
It isn't too late!

Download and install Lightroom 6 (Single App license)

"Last Published: June 27, 2018"

10-05-2018, 02:29 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I'll try the DNG converter when I get a bit of free time.

Does Lightroom 6 recognise PEF files?
10-05-2018, 03:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks guys. I'll try the DNG converter when I get a bit of free time.

It will recognise PEFs for cameras released until Adobe stopped updating Lightroom 6.

PEFs have an overall consistent specification, but have detailed differences from one camera to another.

The specification for DNG rarely changes, because of its large amount of metadata which can cater for a huge range of detailed differences. Lightroom 6 recognises DNGs from all current Pentax cameras, and in fact recognises even later versions of DNG that haven't been used by Pentax cameras yet. (With the qualification that it hasn't caught up with pixel-shift technology yet).
10-05-2018, 07:29 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The question is whether LR 6 recognizes PEF from your camera. The answer is yes, LR 6 has full support for the K-3II. The equates to both file support and import profile support as well as recognition of the camera by name for display purposes.

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
PEFs have an overall consistent specification, but have detailed differences from one camera to another.
Yep, the PEF spec has not changed in pretty much forever. The differences are the camera model codes in the EXIF and model-specific hints regarding RAW processing. Adobe products barf on manufacturer RAW files for camera models they don't know about even if the files are data-equivalent to supported models. One of these days I may attempt editing the camera code in an unsupported PEF to see if I can fool LR.

To expand on DNG from unsupported cameras, Adobe products can open such, but without the full profile support extended to supported models (embedded camera profile only). Adobe provides limited ongoing support for DNG files from new models through the DNG converter; updates to that tool include updated camera profiles* accessible to Lightroom and ACR. For the K-3II that means Adobe Standard as well as several profiles equivalent to in-camera custom image modes (bright, landscape, natural, portrait, and vibrant).

Steve

* DNG camera profiles (.dcp files) are not the same as ICC color profiles. They are potentially much more complex and allow variations of rendering based on brightness. The Ricoh-supplied embedded profile for Pentax cameras is adequate, but different in behavior from even Adobe Standard.