Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-05-2018, 11:10 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Using Exiftool and Excel to analyse my images

I was looking for a newer alternative to 'Exposureplot' to graphically display a breakdown of my images. 'Exposureplot' has not been updated in several years and can only handle JPG.

I have nearly 70,000 images stored, and a lot of them are RAW images. So I decided to see what I could come up with.

I use the excellent 'ExifTool' to extract the metadata from my images, and write it to a CSV file.

I then copy and paste that data into an Excel spreadsheet and use pivot tables and charts to display the metadata.

I've attached a zip file containing three files:

1) exif_data.bat - calls 'Exiftool' to get the metadata
2) EXIF.fmt - formats the 'ExifTool' output
3) DSLRPlot.xlsx - the Excel spreadsheet

Edit the 'bat' file and modify the input and output filepaths as required, and run it.

Then cut and paste that data into the 'EXIF' worksheet in the spreadsheet.

You will need to refresh the pivot table after pasting in the new EXIF data. Go to one of the pivot tables, select a row in it, then go to 'Analyse/Refresh All', and hopefully your data will now appear.

I've added separate worksheets for the camera used, lens used, shutter speed, aperture, ISO, count by month, and count by year.

Its very much a work in progress and very much hands on, requiring some manual effort, but the price is right Hopefully some of you will find it useful.

Depending upon your needs it should be easy for you to add other fields to analyse.

I'm sure there are other, and better, ways of doing this but this seems to be working for me. Enjoy.

Fred.

---------- Post added 10-05-18 at 02:36 PM ----------

Already found an issue. When pasting in the new data you need to go to 'Analyze/Change Data Source' to reflect the size of the new data. I didn't which is why 'blanks' were showing up in the two examples.

Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip DSLRplot.zip (491.7 KB, 52 views)
10-05-2018, 01:58 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice work! I have ExifTool installed; will have to give this a try some time.
10-05-2018, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Pretty cool!

While it may not be as powerful, have you tried adobe bridge (it's free)? It might be faster if all you need is a quick overview of different stats. It also lets you filter easily.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-05-2018, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pretty cool!

While it may not be as powerful, have you tried adobe bridge (it's free)? It might be faster if all you need is a quick overview of different stats. It also lets you filter easily.
And the Metadata filter of the Grid View in the Lightroom Library Module permits similar analyses very quickly. You can use your whole data set ("All Photographs") or limit it based on dates, keywords, lens, camera, etc.

10-06-2018, 12:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
And the Metadata filter of the Grid View in the Lightroom Library Module permits similar analyses very quickly. You can use your whole data set ("All Photographs") or limit it based on dates, keywords, lens, camera, etc.
That is what I use - a lot!

I like it because it doesn't simply provide the numbers. It displays a grid of the photos concerned.
10-06-2018, 04:13 AM   #6

Excellent work, I'm sure many will find this useful.