Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 140 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2020, 12:42 PM - 4 Likes   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New Darktable version (3.2.1) is out

They have done it again!
This time, and for the first time we are getting two major upgrades in one year – this one, 3.2 (in this case 3.2.1) and 3.4 around Christmas (the normal big upgrade moment)

This new version (an detailed information about what is new /corrected) can be obtain directly from GitHub: Release darktable 3.2.1 released · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

Best regards,

09-10-2020, 09:29 AM   #182
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any experience? I'm struggling with some of my KP images - colors look strange, image has a black border (thicker on the left side), one rendered totally weird. Both with and without OpenCL. K-1 images seem to be fine.
09-10-2020, 01:42 PM   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What version are you using, Jens? Release or master? My standard way to see if any bugs have been worked out is to download a copy of the latest master and play with it for a bit. Binaries for various linux distros here:

Install package graphics:darktable:master / darktable

No such luck if you are on Windows.
09-10-2020, 04:37 PM   #184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm using 3.2.1 - using a private 'backport', just recompiling from source, from Debian bullseye (testing) to buster (stable). I'll give the master branch a try in a sandbox.

09-13-2020, 09:42 AM   #185

I use Darktable for my all image editing except spot removal which I do on GIMP. Why? Because I find spot removal tool on Darktable to be much harder to use compared to "Heal" tool on GIMP, I really wish DT devs would add us an option to use similar settings with it as default settings are on "Heal" tool on GIMP. The issues with history ( I can't undo an single step while using spot removal tool, I have to undo all of them ) tools weird behavior with selection and how complicated it is for me compared to simplicity of GIMP heal tool. Otherwise, it satisfies my all needs with RAW editing, great tool overall.
09-13-2020, 01:07 PM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the retouch module rather than spot removal. But you should really post a feature request to darktable's github to register your complaints. Link is here:

Issues · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

It is the only way to get changes done in darktable unless you do it yourself.
09-13-2020, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #187
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hvz448 Quote
I use Darktable for my all image editing except spot removal which I do on GIMP. Why? Because I find spot removal tool on Darktable to be much harder to use compared to "Heal" tool on GIMP, I really wish DT devs would add us an option to use similar settings with it as default settings are on "Heal" tool on GIMP. The issues with history ( I can't undo an single step while using spot removal tool, I have to undo all of them ) tools weird behavior with selection and how complicated it is for me compared to simplicity of GIMP heal tool. Otherwise, it satisfies my all needs with RAW editing, great tool overall.

I'm not familiar with Gimp, but maybe I could help with Darktable.

If you are using the spot removal tool in Darktable you can adjust the blend by hovering over the stroke/path you added, holding down the shift key and using the scroll wheel on the mouse to increase or decrease the blend area.

Increase the size of the stroke/path by holding down the ALT key and using the scroll wheel on the mouse.

Remove individual strokes/paths by right clicking on them with the mouse.

09-28-2020, 03:57 AM   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
What version are you using, Jens? Release or master? My standard way to see if any bugs have been worked out is to download a copy of the latest master and play with it for a bit. Binaries for various linux distros here:

Install package graphics:darktable:master / darktable

No such luck if you are on Windows.
I didn't need to redeploy. Some of the weirdness originated by an inconsistent set of presets/defaults getting applied, not helped by the fact that I switched from base-curve to the scene-referred (flimicRGB) workflow. Discarding history and starting over on the affected pictures cleared up the border issue and some other oddities.

I'm still struggling with colors on some pictures, but it seems related to the fact that the B&W High-Transmission polarizers don't match well with the KP color filter + embedded matrix profile. Not as neutral as the 'classic' polarizers. I don't have a way to create custom profiles, I have no color checker target or such. But maybe I'll finally invest into one. I really like the idea to extend my reach of color control further to the front.
10-03-2020, 05:53 PM   #189

I'm also struggling with colors in Darktable (on Windows 10) with KP DNGs. The last pre 3.0 build still works great for me and produces lovely images, but starting with 3.0 to the current build I get this weirdly off skin tone and... just a look that makes everyone look vaguely ill. I guess I can just use the old build forever, but I'd love any suggestions about what to do here.
10-24-2020, 08:33 AM - 2 Likes   #190
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very happy with the latest version of DT, which has made it's way to MX Linux, and which now has some (!) support for the ZS200/TZ200.
I am also struggling somewhat with the basic curve/filmic path - the basic curve roll off is awful with a "panasonic like" curve applied. However a combination of the velvia and filmic seems to work pretty well (I am getting a weird shift to pink in the shadows, sometimes, think this is velvia in concert with shadows/highlights).

Question, as anyone used the print module? I now have a Canon Pro-100 and am considering paying for linux support of the Canon drivers and using DT, rather than going back into my old copy of Lightroom each time.

Also, has anyone paid for the lens correction profiling service under lensfun? My camera is not supported, but I would consider paying for the correction and giving back to community.

Yellow and Blue
by Aaron, on Flickr

Yellow and Brown
by Aaron, on Flickr
10-24-2020, 10:15 PM - 2 Likes   #191
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pink highlights can usually be tamed with the Highlight Reconstruction module in darktable. Try the Reconstruct with Lch option. You may have to decrease the clipping level as well but watch you don't start clipping wanted values.
10-25-2020, 11:29 AM   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pink highlights can usually be tamed with the Highlight Reconstruction module in darktable. Try the Reconstruct with Lch option. You may have to decrease the clipping level as well but watch you don't start clipping wanted values.
Truly excellent. Simple. I had been using Highlights and Shadows, but this works really well.
11-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #193
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Recently I have been finding that my printed images have the colours a bit over-pumped. This is despite the fact my K-1 is set to natural and my processing is restricted to perhaps a colour temperature shift and exposure and tone curve tweaks.
My workflow is to open DT via Gimp as a plugin. I have noticed there is a small shift in saturation / tone when I close DT and it opens in Gimp.
I have managed to record it in these images by reopening the DNG directly in DT and screenshooting the two images beside each other. DT on the left. There appears to be a slight rightward shift in the histogram.
Could it be a colour space thing? I am in sRGB via camera.
It is not a big shift and not consistent but it seems to be exaggerated by printing.
Attached Images

11-09-2020, 04:59 PM   #194
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are shooting raw (you mention DNG) then custom image settings on the camera have no effect, they will only affect the in-camera jpg processing.
Differences between the displayed image and the printed image is a perennial problem, and can be quite complex involving screen settings, printer settings and the printer paper used.
I see small differences here in an image displayed in darktable, GIMP and the GNOME Image Viewer, not sure if one can hope for all to be exactly the same.
Others may have more definite help.

Cheers,
Terry
11-09-2020, 05:32 PM   #195
Veteran Member

Sweet, I’ll have to try that too.