Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nelson B.C.
Posts: 3,763
Been using Darktable for quite a few years. I build from source, a habit from early on when necessary features wouldn't be in the releases yet.

For testing a K1 Mark II noise profile, GitHub - derekkite/k1mark2darktable

You need to run a build for this to work.

For a denoise style that I like, it isn't aggressive. https://dtstyle.net/download.php/367/Denoise.dtstyle

I really like this series of tutorials. audio2u - YouTube

Make sure you get the video processor set up, it increases the speed substantially.

What I've been working on is parametric and drawn masks. I typically shoot wildlife and want to separate the subject from the background and apply different noise, saturation and sharpening levels to either one. I haven't yet mastered it for when there isn't a clear separation.

A couple iso 16000 K1 Mark II shots with the noise profile. The second one illustrates the luminance noise that I want to clean up in the background.






Last edited by derekkite; 10-18-2018 at 10:37 AM.
10-18-2018, 10:06 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,101
@kaseki - If your 645z can save images in DNG, then darktable will be able to handle them.. It is only the manufacturer;s proprietary formats such as PEF that need explicit support coded into darktable. And a PEF from one camera model is often too different (usually the file header changes) from the others' PEF to load. - Jack

---------- Post added 10-18-18 at 10:13 PM ----------

Derek - I don't think the background noise is too bad in your woodpecker shot (great shot, btw) given the high ISO. The temptation for me would be to protect the foreground with a parametric mask and then soften the background with a Gaussian filter of the Soften module. - Jack

Last edited by jbinpg; 10-18-2018 at 10:24 PM.
10-19-2018, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian
ChristianRock's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Woodstock, GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,492
Original Poster
For those interested in checking out Jo„o Almeida's t3mujinpack, here's his web page on it.

t3mujinpack - film emulation presets for Darktable

Very highly recommended, even if just to be amazed at the work he does with nothing but tone curves.
10-19-2018, 08:45 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,496
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
The Darktable Users Coterie
Thanks for this, CR. I'm primarily an RT user, but I will be following this thread, too!

10-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
twilhelm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,355
I’ll be following this thread as I use Rawtherapee for digital and Darktable primarily for my film scans.

Thanks to Mike, some time back I discovered the equalizer and now have several presets I’ve created and use for different emulsions. Plus, I like the spot removal and find it on-par with Lightroom, which I used for many years.
10-19-2018, 09:47 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Pentaxian
ChristianRock's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Woodstock, GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,492
Original Poster
So one of the things I have tried to do is to use the tone splitting tool (instead of tone curves) to simulate the look and feel of film. I didn't do a lot of photography back in the film days - I had an Olympus point and shoot camera that I used with Kodak Gold and that was it. So I won't be creating any specific film presets anytime soon. I wish I could, but I think one has to have experience with how a film behaves to emulate that specific look.

So here's an example of my "generic Film look" using split toning.



I used the same look here, but a bit more sparingly:
10-19-2018, 10:29 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nelson B.C.
Posts: 3,763
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
@kaseki - If your 645z can save images in DNG, then darktable will be able to handle them.. It is only the manufacturer;s proprietary formats such as PEF that need explicit support coded into darktable. And a PEF from one camera model is often too different (usually the file header changes) from the others' PEF to load. - Jack

---------- Post added 10-18-18 at 10:13 PM ----------

Derek - I don't think the background noise is too bad in your woodpecker shot (great shot, btw) given the high ISO. The temptation for me would be to protect the foreground with a parametric mask and then soften the background with a Gaussian filter of the Soften module. - Jack
Agreed. Getting the mask to work is the challenge, and I'm still learning how to use it.
10-19-2018, 01:09 PM   #23
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,624
Can that program convert a catalog from Lightroom, and can it be used as a cataloging tool? I do editing on Lightroom, but also all my sorting and archiving.

Thanks.

10-19-2018, 04:31 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 15,504
QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
Once you get Mint 19 up and a compatible Darktable installed, would you mind checking the following:
  • Can it read PEF files, not just the embedded JPGs included in the PEF files? (my earlier DT version won't)
  • Can it do this for cameras for which an explicit camera calibration is not in the data base? (I wonder if the 645Z is supported yet)
  • Otherwise, can it deal with TIF files? (I can make TIF files from PEF files using Raw Therapee)
Thanks
Unfortunately, having taken delivery of my new super-duper laptop and worked on it for almost two days, I'm fast reaching the conclusion that it's going to be a nightmare to get Linux Mint 19 running on it and have all the hardware features enabled... it's a Clevo-based machine, and there's one problem I'm having that I just can't seem to fix (even with the help of some pretty sharp Linux experts): adjusting screen brightness. That's essential for me in image editing, of course, so - reluctantly - it looks like I'll have to install Windoze 10 instead. Which isn't such a hardship, I guess, as I can still run digiKam, Darktable and GIMP for cataloguing and editing, plus LibreOffice and Firefox for my day-to-day computing.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-19-2018 at 04:37 PM.
10-19-2018, 04:58 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member
RAART's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oakville, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,095
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Unfortunately, having taken delivery of my new super-duper laptop and worked on it for almost two days, I'm fast reaching the conclusion that it's going to be a nightmare to get Linux Mint 19 running on it and have all the hardware features enabled... it's a Clevo-based machine, and there's one problem I'm having that I just can't seem to fix (even with the help of some pretty sharp Linux experts): adjusting screen brightness. That's essential for me in image editing, of course, so - reluctantly - it looks like I'll have to install Windoze 10 instead. Which isn't such a hardship, I guess, as I can still run digiKam, Darktable and GIMP for cataloguing and editing, plus LibreOffice and Firefox for my day-to-day computing.
I had similar issues with Mint or Ubuntu that it was fixed with forum support however after some time I got another update and all went down hill... I decided to change the distro and since I switched to Solus never had a hick-up, It is running very stable but the software is a bit limited however since I joined the Solus a lot has changed and the Solus distro from nowhere went into top 5 Linux distros. I strongly suggest that you try it. They have few flavors and you really have to pick up one you like. They have amazing and fast forum support and all software you mention is supported.

Also they are maker of Mate or Budgie (not sure which one) that has been adapted to other distros...
10-19-2018, 06:06 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
twilhelm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,355
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Unfortunately, having taken delivery of my new super-duper laptop and worked on it for almost two days, I'm fast reaching the conclusion that it's going to be a nightmare to get Linux Mint 19 running on it and have all the hardware features enabled... it's a Clevo-based machine, and there's one problem I'm having that I just can't seem to fix (even with the help of some pretty sharp Linux experts): adjusting screen brightness. That's essential for me in image editing, of course, so - reluctantly - it looks like I'll have to install Windoze 10 instead. Which isn't such a hardship, I guess, as I can still run digiKam, Darktable and GIMP for cataloguing and editing, plus LibreOffice and Firefox for my day-to-day computing.
Iíve been holding off on the Mint 19 update. I did some reading on the forums, and it seems they are also having an issue with printer support. I do a lot of printing and it took me some time to get my printing up to what I was doing with Lightroom.
10-19-2018, 08:37 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,101
I just upgraded to the new Ubuntu 18.10. Flawless after I figured out a stupid error of my own making.

Ikey Doherty is the man who thought up the Solus distro. He also produced the Budgie desktop. A well regarded distro.
10-19-2018, 09:47 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Ontario, Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 680
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
A couple iso 16000 K1 Mark II shots with the noise profile. The second one illustrates the luminance noise that I want to clean up in the background.
Not sure if you tried this but you could try creating a parametric mask for the colour green (or perhaps a parametric mask for luminosity values). Out of focus green is good at showing noise. If you can get the background selected with the mask in the equalizer module, you can use the bottom part of the equalizer curve to smooth the background more effectively than some of the denoise modules.

Also, as for the otter-like creature (is that an otter?), you can use the colour zones module to darken the green a small amount. Sometimes when you boost exposure or lift shadows, green can get too light and you can counteract that with the colour zones-> lightness feature.

---------- Post added 10-19-18 at 09:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Can that program convert a catalog from Lightroom, and can it be used as a cataloging tool? I do editing on Lightroom, but also all my sorting and archiving.

Thanks.
No, not in the same way as Lightroom. Darktable has limited asset management compared to Lightroom. Darktable can search through all the shots you've opened with it based on focal length, camera type, aperture, etc. but it quite different than Lightroom. It is mainly a Raw editor.


With darktable, you need to use a separate organizing program like Digikam or something else and it helps if you keep your pictures nicely organized with a good folder structure.
10-20-2018, 01:56 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 15,504
QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
I had similar issues with Mint or Ubuntu that it was fixed with forum support however after some time I got another update and all went down hill... I decided to change the distro and since I switched to Solus never had a hick-up, It is running very stable but the software is a bit limited however since I joined the Solus a lot has changed and the Solus distro from nowhere went into top 5 Linux distros. I strongly suggest that you try it. They have few flavors and you really have to pick up one you like. They have amazing and fast forum support and all software you mention is supported.

Also they are maker of Mate or Budgie (not sure which one) that has been adapted to other distros...
Thanks for this... I'm downloading Solus now, and I'll try installing it later today

I'm also going to try installing Mint 18.3, as I've been using that on my old HP laptop and low-spec desktop machine for some time with very few issues.

The joys of Linux
10-20-2018, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 15,504
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Can that program convert a catalog from Lightroom, and can it be used as a cataloging tool? I do editing on Lightroom, but also all my sorting and archiving.

Thanks.
As @automorphism says, Darktable has limited cataloguing capabilities. I use digiKam for that aspect, and it covers everything I ever used to do with Lightroom's "Library" module. I use Darktable for raw development, as with Lightroom's "Develop" module. And I use GIMP in the same way you might use Photoshop, for the heavier image editing aspects. It sounds like a messy solution, but in fact it all integrates very well. I'm so used to it by now, that I don't even notice I'm using three different apps...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adrian, background, colour, darktable, film, flickr, jpegs, k1 mark ii, lightroom, mask, noise, page, pef, photography, photoshop, pictures, program, shot, software, styles
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Denoise in Darktable is not as good as I hoped Tranzistors Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 16 08-12-2018 01:12 PM
RAW files. What should I use to develop them RawTherapee, Darktable or ......? jonthechippy Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 33 01-16-2018 02:26 PM
Darktable for windows - recommendation as LR replacement beholder3 Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 4 11-26-2017 12:48 AM
Question for Darktable (under Linux) users BigMackCam Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 10 11-05-2017 12:52 PM
Darktable with Pixel Shift ThatSummer Pentax K-1 15 05-07-2017 01:08 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:11 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top