Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2022, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #286
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I'm only a partial dt user and currently down with covid so my brain capacity is somewhat reduced...

I can't remeber if dt use icc, dcp or a settings file for matrixes.
Thanks for the idea of importing a profile. I was able to extract one from a scan and put into the ~/.config/darktable/color/in directory. In the meantime, I have been working on my workflow and am getting better results. Take care of yourself, and hope you're better soon.

02-10-2022, 06:28 AM - 2 Likes   #287
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just wanted to highlight the "Color Calibration" module as a means to get colours closer to the manufacturer settings (in my case, Panasonic).
I use the "colorfulness" and add 0.085 to R, 0.06 to G, and 0.01 to B, then lighten the red channel a small amount. To my eyes, looks great!
Also there are some global B&W presets in this filter. I am fairly happy with the Ilford delta 100 one:

Onto the train
by Aaron, on Flickr
02-11-2022, 05:06 PM   #288
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Just wanted to highlight the "Color Calibration" module as a means to get colours closer to the manufacturer settings (in my case, Panasonic).
I use the "colorfulness" and add 0.085 to R, 0.06 to G, and 0.01 to B, then lighten the red channel a small amount. To my eyes, looks great!
Also there are some global B&W presets in this filter. I am fairly happy with the Ilford delta 100 one:

Onto the train
by Aaron, on Flickr
I didn't know about the B&W presets. Thanks for the heads up!
02-12-2022, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #289
Pentaxian

New Darktable version (3.8.1) is out

New features and (mainly) bug fixes.
Also, and important, info of suspended support on several cameras - in Pentax world it's the K200D, K2000 and Q10 -, and what to do to revert that.

This new version (an detailed information about what is new /corrected) can be obtain directly from GitHub: Release darktable 3.8.1 released · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

Best regards,

02-13-2022, 07:01 PM - 1 Like   #290
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ddharriman Quote
New Darktable version (3.8.1) is out

New features and (mainly) bug fixes.
Also, and important, info of suspended support on several cameras - in Pentax world it's the K200D, K2000 and Q10 -, and what to do to revert that.

This new version (an detailed information about what is new /corrected) can be obtain directly from GitHub: Release darktable 3.8.1 released · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

Best regards,
The problem I had two weeks ago (i.e., "'Epson Perfection4870' color matrix not found!") is no longer an issue with version 3.8.1. Nice!
02-13-2022, 08:10 PM   #291
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dmckinnon Quote
The problem I had two weeks ago (i.e., "'Epson Perfection4870' color matrix not found!") is no longer an issue with version 3.8.1. Nice!
That's great - thank you for posting. I'll have to give the DNG another go from VueScan.
02-13-2022, 10:47 PM   #292
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Note that the dropping of the old Pentax camera profiles only matters if you are still using the older display-referred workflow which uses the base curves. If you are using the scene-referred workflow which does not use camera profiles per se, then you need not worry.

02-19-2022, 09:17 PM   #293
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Anyone here been using darktable to post-process K-3 Mark III raw images?

I don't think results from the 'denoise (profiled) non local means' are as clean as I typically get from K-1 images at the same ISO setting.
I should add that my images are typically in the range of 400-1600 ISO, and that I find 'denoise (profiled) non local means' gives cleaner results than the wavelets options.
I provided the noise profile files for the K-3 Mark III to the darktable project.
I spent a lot of time and effort generating those profiles, so I suspect another similar effort by me would more than likely produce similar results.

Anyone interested in having a try at generating a set of noise profiles for this camera?

There are instructions at <https://pixls.us/articles/how-to-create-camera-noise-profiles-for-darktable/> and you need to use the darktable-tools-noise, which is probably included in most distributions.
It isn't necessary to have the new profiles included in a build of darktable to test them, as you can start darktable from a console/terminal window as per... 'darktable --noiseprofiles <noiseprofile json file>' to run darktable with the test profile file.

Please let's know if you have a view on how well 'denoise (profiled) non local means' is working for you with the K-3 Mark III.

Cheers,
Terry
02-28-2022, 03:58 PM   #294
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Note that the dropping of the old Pentax camera profiles only matters if you are still using the older display-referred workflow which uses the base curves. If you are using the scene-referred workflow which does not use camera profiles per se, then you need not worry.
I've done some watching and playing with the scene referred workflow. I am still having a hard time getting my head around filmic setup (especially together with the tone equalizer).
More importantly, which module(s) now manage the custom colour matrix?
02-28-2022, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #295
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The scene-referred workflow for color images starts with the assumption that there are camera white bulb reference settings built-in to every digital camera. For most cameras, this would be the D65 reference. Thus, you would set the white bulb to "camera reference" and use the "color calibration" module to tune the illuminant to your liking. The "filmic" module basically compresses the highlights, and to a lesser extent the shadows, to fit into the photo's measured dynamic range (thus the scene-referred expression). You can use the filmic settings to adjust the curve in filmic for contrast, etc.

Going forward, darktable intends to convert all modules from a Lab color workflow to all RGB so it would be a good idea to start using the newer RGB modules to get used to what they offer in the scene-referred workflow. I have made separate presets for color and black and white work which are applied on import to dt. So the most I have to do is tweak orientation, retouch, black and white point, etc. to get to a final product.

It can be heavy slogging but Aurelien Pierre's youtube videos on his filmic and color calibration modules explain the theory and their use and are recommended for a clearer understanding. - Jack
03-01-2022, 05:52 AM   #296
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have made separate presets for color and black and white work which are applied on import to dt
Would it be possible to share this. Thanks
03-01-2022, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #297
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I could share my settings but I think it would be preferable for you to work with darktable to develop your own approach. You would become more fluent with the app and get to know its limits more easily. There are two "automation" approaches in dt: 1) presets - enabled using the right hamburger menu of a module; and 2) styles - enabled using a left click on the history module. Styles are basically a compendium of presets that can be applied with one click via the middle icon below the bottom left of the image in darkroom view.

I started with presets that I wanted to have enabled at import which I use for my digital colour images. Then once I had those figured out, I made a couple of styles, one for colour and another for b&w which I use for my home-developed images.

Give it a shot. Should not take long to get the hang of it.

- Jack

Last edited by jbinpg; 03-02-2022 at 05:37 PM.
04-10-2022, 04:07 PM   #298
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The scene-referred workflow for color images starts with the assumption that there are camera white bulb reference settings built-in to every digital camera. For most cameras, this would be the D65 reference. Thus, you would set the white bulb to "camera reference" and use the "color calibration" module to tune the illuminant to your liking. The "filmic" module basically compresses the highlights, and to a lesser extent the shadows, to fit into the photo's measured dynamic range (thus the scene-referred expression). You can use the filmic settings to adjust the curve in filmic for contrast, etc.

Going forward, darktable intends to convert all modules from a Lab color workflow to all RGB so it would be a good idea to start using the newer RGB modules to get used to what they offer in the scene-referred workflow. I have made separate presets for color and black and white work which are applied on import to dt. So the most I have to do is tweak orientation, retouch, black and white point, etc. to get to a final product.

It can be heavy slogging but Aurelien Pierre's youtube videos on his filmic and color calibration modules explain the theory and their use and are recommended for a clearer understanding. - Jack
A belated thanks for this!
I've had a chance to play today and really get my head into it.
The key thing for me is not the "filmic RGB" but is the "Color calibration" as you indicate. This replaces the white balance control (which I had duplicated and couldn't figure out). For me, this was the part that wasn't making sense. The other piece that I personally found important was "Color balance". The luminance/ brilliance controls make things very easy to develop a signature colour look, and together with the tone equalizer and local control, great for setting the tone.

Very happy with the outcomes so far (some shots from 2016 in Japan with the GR):

Over the river
by Aaron, on Flickr

Forest bliss
by Aaron, on Flickr
04-14-2022, 08:11 PM   #299
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple more shots from the same trip (the Ricoh GR is awesome for this work) - cross post:

Morning hills
by Aaron, on Flickr

Hike across the river
by Aaron, on Flickr
04-14-2022, 11:18 PM - 1 Like   #300
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, very nice. Save your favorite settings as styles and you are set!