Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 140 Likes Search this Thread
01-31-2023, 02:43 PM - 2 Likes   #316
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Now I have a question: My Linux distro version has stopped at DT 3.8. Do I upgrade it for Ver 4.2? I'm interested in colour. I tried it on Windows, but there are some other issues there.

Edit: I know I can use a flatpak or add another repository, but have already had too much fun with that...
Which distro are you using? I'm on Manjaro which lags slightly behind Arch but I got version 4.2 within a few weeks of its release through the regular Pamac software update.

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Seems like I am on my own. But a question to the converted - do you feel like you are enhancing Pentax colour chemistry or have you broken out into your own world.
My photography is mostly in the natural world and I have little need for more than tonal control and occasionally a colour temperature shift.
Of course highlight reconstruction and profile denoise.
I rarely look at my KP's jpegs anymore so I'm really rolling my own TBH. But I can still get very close to Pentax if I'd be willing to try - usually I'm happier with my own sauce. The newer Sigmoid module is a fabulous addition and is making me ditch Filmic.

[

02-22-2023, 01:32 PM   #317
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just saw yesterday's announcement that a bugfix release has been created. Time for another custom Debian package version for my aging buster installation. I hope I can just replace the sources in my prior Debian sid backport. I did apparently run into some OpenCL issue, one module crashed (not sure which, something I rarely use) and one image was missing parts in the preview, but exported fine. I didn't have time to diagnose, but it may be the memory transfer related one.

Does somebody have a good reference for the 'modern' color management workflow, using color balance in tandem with camera reference in white balance? Somehow the color picker (area) method in color calibration, applied to a neutral grey area, doesn't seem to do what the documentation says, but for manual corrections, I find it easier to use than the classic white balance.
02-22-2023, 11:09 PM - 1 Like   #318
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Camera Reference + Color Calibration modules in my default style for color photos. I am compiling darktable master from git and I find I rarely need to tweak color balance unless I purposely want to move it off correct white balance.

Jack
04-21-2023, 07:54 PM   #319
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, one dual boot Beelink mini pc later (pretty insanely fast for what it is), Sigmoid is working well and everything is going swimmingly except for two small things.
It appears with 4.2 on scene referred, that using a medium standard tone curve (gamma 2.2) is a recipe to trigger Filmic, even when you have Sigmoid on, and requires manual deselection.
Also, my Olympus E-M1II seems to have disappeared from the lens fun database.

Anyone experience either of these things or know a way to fix them?

05-22-2023, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #320
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also, my Olympus E-M1II seems to have disappeared from the lens fun database.
Assuming that you are on a BSD or Linux computer (due to your mention of "dual boot"): Did you try "lensfun-update-data"?
Please keep in mind that certain Linux distributions (eg. Ubuntu and derivates) may use "snap" or similar installation methods beside the native package management which can affect the installation of darktable and other software. Calm down, Ecky.
On my Linux installation (Garuda Linux, a fairly user friendly Arch Linux derivate) the E-M1II is in /usr/share/lensfun/version_1/mil-olympus.xml which was installed via the package manager, so no manual customisation. I just verified that the "lens correction" module works properly on a photograph taken with the E-M1II. But I have darktable 4.2.1 here, not 4.2 like you.
Lensfun has a suggestion for a workaround (just edit mil-olympus.xml): Lensfun
Hope that helps.

Yesterday I tried to activate the "hot pixels" module for RAW files from my K-5IIm. darktable doesn't "recognise" neither a DNG nor a PEF as a RAW file and refuses the hot pixels correction.
The search on discuss.pixls.us - Free Software Photography and Issues · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub didn't help.
The closest match seems to be that one: sRaws / DNG LinearRaws get assigned JPEG (non-raw) workflow · Issue #14558 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

Have you experienced such behaviour of darktable?

E.
05-24-2023, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #321
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bofh Quote
Assuming that you are on a BSD or Linux computer (due to your mention of "dual boot"): Did you try "lensfun-update-data"?
Please keep in mind that certain Linux distributions (eg. Ubuntu and derivates) may use "snap" or similar installation methods beside the native package management which can affect the installation of darktable and other software. Calm down, Ecky.
On my Linux installation (Garuda Linux, a fairly user friendly Arch Linux derivate) the E-M1II is in /usr/share/lensfun/version_1/mil-olympus.xml which was installed via the package manager, so no manual customisation. I just verified that the "lens correction" module works properly on a photograph taken with the E-M1II. But I have darktable 4.2.1 here, not 4.2 like you.
Hope that helps.

Yesterday I tried to activate the "hot pixels" module for RAW files from my K-5IIm. darktable doesn't "recognise" neither a DNG nor a PEF as a RAW file and refuses the hot pixels correction.
The search on discuss.pixls.us - Free Software Photography and Issues · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub didn't help.
The closest match seems to be that one: sRaws / DNG LinearRaws get assigned JPEG (non-raw) workflow · Issue #14558 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

E.
Clarkey - I finally took the route of going with no default workflow and defining my own styles. That way I only get the modules I want for whatever picture type I am working with. Agree that Sigmoid is a nice addition.
05-31-2023, 12:14 AM   #322
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tried to activate the "hot pixels" module for RAW files from my K-5IIm. darktable doesn't "recognise" neither a DNG nor a PEF as a RAW file and refuses the hot pixels correction.
The discussion on discuss.pixls.us - Free Software Photography showed that it is not a Pentax issue. It's simply no code for handling hot pixels in monochrome images in darktable at the moment. Therefore darktable disables the "hot pixels" module for monochrome RAW images.

Fortunately ART and RawTherapee work fine. So my solution at the moment is: post process monochrome images from the K-5IIm with ART or RawTherapee.

E.

06-01-2023, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #323
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pleasing news: the developers plan to add the "hot pixels" functionality of monochrome images for darktable 4.6.

I suggested to add more matching criteria like the camera serial number for automatic application of presets (eg. for demosaicing or white balance). Reason for that is: If you've got a K-5II with CFA and one without ("K-5IIm") then currently darktable can match only the camera model correctly.
There is a "detect monochrome previews" in the darktable settings but that helps not much because there is all the colour information still in the RAW file from the unmodified K-5II. The files from the K-5II need demosaicing and not just "passthrough" as the K-5IIm, even if the image tone is set in camera to "Monochrome".
Perhaps the effort for that isn't that much and they will implement it soon. That would be great. But they're working on darktable in their spare time and don't get paid for that. So my part is at least to be patient.

E.

Last edited by bofh; 06-04-2023 at 12:03 AM. Reason: added "monochrome images" in the first sentence for clarification
06-03-2023, 04:45 PM   #324
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hope that helps.

E.
A belated thank you! This was indeed the solution. I was able to redo my stock preset, and all is well.
I have MX Linux as the primary and windows in the back end for some games only.

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Clarkey - I finally took the route of going with no default workflow and defining my own styles. That way I only get the modules I want for whatever picture type I am working with. Agree that Sigmoid is a nice addition.
Many thanks. I've now gotten my preset set up and made the default. It would be nice to have DT do it by default, based on read metadata of the camera used (e.g., Fuji demosaic settings different), a future feature maybe.

My next challenge is print matching, which I still have been chickening out with and doing on Windows due to canon not making linux drivers for the Pro-100 series. I may have another crack at creating a Winebottle for the Canon application, but I think that CUPs is going to freak out. Which leaves USB and should be OK.
06-21-2023, 02:50 PM - 3 Likes   #325
Pentaxian

New Darktable version (4.4.0) is out!

Its’ that time of the year (again!)

Here we have it, the full release of Darktable 4.4.0

This new version (an detailed information about what is new / corrected) can be obtain directly from GitHub: Release darktable 4.4.0 released · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub
07-30-2023, 08:13 AM   #326
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was not liking the new version of DT. The colors seem very muted again. Fortunately/Unfortunately I had a power outage with DT open, and now the software won't load. I get the database lock warning, but it won't reset or delete like it did on other versions (for windows 10).

I'll circle back around to this software eventually.
07-30-2023, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #327
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
I was not liking the new version of DT. The colors seem very muted again. Fortunately/Unfortunately I had a power outage with DT open, and now the software won't load. I get the database lock warning, but it won't reset or delete like it did on other versions (for windows 10).

I'll circle back around to this software eventually.
My distro hasn't gotten there yet, but so far all is well.
Bummer on the database lock. Take a backup first if needed. Check out the following DT forum log (old, but principles are the same).

Then reboot, you should have removed the lock.
07-30-2023, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #328
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The colors seem very muted again.
Probably you are using RAW files. As far as I know these muted colours are intentionally. The reason is to have a "linear" image to start with.
Imho the new "sigmoid" module can be a reasonable start to get popping colours.

Unfortunately I had a power outage with DT open, and now the software won't load. I get the database lock warning, but it won't reset or delete like it did on other versions (for windows 10).
Try to delete the database lock file manually.
I don't use darktable on Windows, so please take my statement cum grano salis.
According to this post: Darktable doesn't start on Windows 10 - Darktable Forum you'll find the lock file in the directory C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\darktable with the file name "data.db.lock".
Please make sure that no darktable process is running which can lock the lock file.

Hope this helps,

E.
07-30-2023, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #329
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Linux Mint also doesn't have this latest release. But I'm liking DT more and more. RT has been my go-to raw developer for some time, but it only works intermittently with my old *ist D files. I find that I prefer the muted, plain initial settings, and its easy to juice them up as needed. I'm liking this software more as I familiarize myself with it.
07-30-2023, 11:17 AM   #330
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Probably you are using RAW files. As far as I know these muted colours are intentionally. The reason is to have a "linear" image to start with.
Imho the new "sigmoid" module can be a reasonable start to get popping colours.

Try to delete the database lock file manually.
I don't use darktable on Windows, so please take my statement cum grano salis.
According to this post: Darktable doesn't start on Windows 10 - Darktable Forum you'll find the lock file in the directory C:\Users\<yourusername>\AppData\Local\darktable with the file name "data.db.lock".
Please make sure that no darktable process is running which can lock the lock file.

Hope this helps,

E.
My distro hasn't gotten there yet, but so far all is well.
Bummer on the database lock. Take a backup first if needed. Check out the following DT forum log (old, but principles are the same).

Then reboot, you should have removed the lock.
I'll check out the links. Thank you.

I had my import from raw configured nicely, but lost that in the update. I'll dial that back in eventually.