Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 140 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2018, 05:13 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Rapid Photo Downloader Rapid Photo Downloader is really handy as well. Quick, can rename files, etc.

10-20-2018, 05:58 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
As @automorphism says, Darktable has limited cataloguing capabilities. I use digiKam for that aspect, and it covers everything I ever used to do with Lightroom's "Library" module. I use Darktable for raw development, as with Lightroom's "Develop" module. And I use GIMP in the same way you might use Photoshop, for the heavier image editing aspects. It sounds like a messy solution, but in fact it all integrates very well. I'm so used to it by now, that I don't even notice I'm using three different apps...
That's more or less how I go about using all of the tools. I still adhere to the minimalistic approach of using every tool only for the purpose it does best at. Ever since Gimp 2.10.x started using DT as its raw import plugin I have ditched (n)ufraw for good. Digikam is for cataloging, rating and batch edits to do f.i. autolevels. Gimp is for individual images, especially when I need heavy lifting by GMIC. RT gets used very occasionally when I take a stab at pixelshift and decide it's still not worth my while yet again.
10-20-2018, 08:31 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for this... I'm downloading Solus now, and I'll try installing it later todayI'm also going to try installing Mint 18.3, as I've been using that on my old HP laptop and low-spec desktop machine for some time with very few issues.The joys of Linux
Let us know how you get on with Solus. I'm still running Mint 17.3 on my primary desktop pc - but I think that version is nearing EOL. My seldom-used laptop is running Mint 18.3, but it seems less responsive even though it's a slightly higher-spec machine. Longer boot times, longer app loading times, etc. I've been a happy Mint user for many years, but I'm open to trying new things. I might give the LMDE Debian-based release a try when the time is right.
10-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #34
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Let us know how you get on with Solus. I'm still running Mint 17.3 on my primary desktop pc - but I think that version is nearing EOL. My seldom-used laptop is running Mint 18.3, but it seems less responsive even though it's a slightly higher-spec machine. Longer boot times, longer app loading times, etc. I've been a happy Mint user for many years, but I'm open to trying new things. I might give the LMDE Debian-based release a try when the time is right.
I tried Solus and, unfortunately, ran into exactly the same problems as I had with Mint 19.

I think the issue is my specific laptop architecture rather than the operating system. Clevo laptops (which are very popular in the gaming community) come with a lot of Windows-only drivers and proprietary software to get everything singing perfectly.

I've just tried installing Windows 10 and the Clevo drivers and utilities, and it's all running exactly as it should. I'd prefer to run Linux, but the operating system is secondary to the software I want to run. Thankfully, all of that software - digiKam, Darktable, GIMP, LibreOffice, Firefox - is available for Windows too. So, for the time being, I'll run Windows. I'm sure the Linux community will catch up with Clevo's architecture in time, and if it does, I'll install Mint 19 further down the road. But for now, I have no appetite for spending the next few days, weeks or even months trying to find solutions and workarounds. I want to get on and make use of the machine

10-20-2018, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

I tried Solus and, unfortunately, ran into exactly the same problems as I had with Mint 19.

I think the issue is my specific laptop architecture rather than the operating system. Clevo laptops (which are very popular in the gaming community) come with a lot of Windows-only drivers and proprietary software to get everything singing perfectly.

I've just tried installing Windows 10 and the Clevo drivers and utilities, and it's all running exactly as it should. I'd prefer to run Linux, but the operating system is secondary to the software I want to run. Thankfully, all of that software - digiKam, Darktable, GIMP, LibreOffice, Firefox - is available for Windows too. So, for the time being, I'll run Windows. I'm sure the Linux community will catch up with Clevo's architecture in time, and if it does, I'll install Mint 19 further down the road. But for now, I have no appetite for spending the next few days, weeks or even months trying to find solutions and workarounds. I want to get on and make use of the machine
There is probably proprietary driver for your graphic card... It is probably Nvidia based card and for those you have to install specific driver even under linux... Can you be more specific with your hardware or which model is your video card?

EDIT: Probably Nvidia GTX 1050Ti for laptops... if it is this one then look here: https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/138959

Last edited by RAART; 10-20-2018 at 10:50 AM.
10-20-2018, 11:47 AM   #36
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RAART Quote
There is probably proprietary driver for your graphic card... It is probably Nvidia based card and for those you have to install specific driver even under linux... Can you be more specific with your hardware or which model is your video card?

EDIT: Probably Nvidia GTX 1050Ti for laptops... if it is this one then look here: Drivers | GeForce
Thanks Honestly, I believe I'm fine with the graphics drivers and using the correct ones for both GPUs (so far as I'm aware).

With both Solus and Linux Mint 19, I have to install with "acpi=off" in the grub, otherwise it hangs at various points.

I have the correct Intel and Nvidia drivers loaded; both integrated Intel and discrete GTX 1050Ti work fine. But brightness can't be controlled. It's off completely at the lowest setting, and at full brightness on anything above minimum. I've tried different acpi_backlight and acpi_osi settings, scripts, and a whole bunch of other stuff suggested by those with far more detailed Linux, system building and laptop architecture knowledge than I have. But I'm stuck at that point. There are a few other issues too, including the backlit keyboard which remains "on", though I could live with that if necessary. But the brightness control is a deal-breaker for me until I know of a sure-fire solution

I don't want to derail the OP's thread any further, but I'm happy to discuss at greater length either by PM or in another thread
10-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Thanks Honestly, I believe I'm fine with the graphics drivers and using the correct ones for both GPUs (so far as I'm aware).

With both Solus and Linux Mint 19, I have to install with "acpi=off" in the grub, otherwise it hangs at various points.

I have the correct Intel and Nvidia drivers loaded; both integrated Intel and discrete GTX 1050Ti work fine. But brightness can't be controlled. It's off completely at the lowest setting, and at full brightness on anything above minimum. I've tried different acpi_backlight and acpi_osi settings, scripts, and a whole bunch of other stuff suggested by those with far more detailed Linux, system building and laptop architecture knowledge than I have. But I'm stuck at that point. There are a few other issues too, including the backlit keyboard which remains "on", though I could live with that if necessary. But the brightness control is a deal-breaker for me until I know of a sure-fire solution

I don't want to derail the OP's thread any further, but I'm happy to discuss at greater length either by PM or in another thread
Hey no problem... I am using Adobe CC and have multiple PC's (2 x win 10pro + 1x Solus Gnome). I do have running on Solus Darktable + Gimp and also some other software but while I am paying for CC I use my windows PC for pictures. Though I didn't run into those issues with Solus but my Lenovo laptop does not use nvidia and was running perfect until recently my 8 year old crashed the screen but I am also running Solus on my day to day PC (Lenovo M93p Tiny) which is like laptop in small case and external display. Had display issues though with Mint/Ubuntu on Lenovo laptop.

10-24-2018, 04:56 AM   #38

I'm not sure if this is a Darktable question or note... but. I'd like my lens metadata to be picked up by Flickr when I upload so it shows on the photo information page. I know Darktable knows what lens I'm using because it ends up in the "lens correction" module, but then when I upload it's not there. Does anyone know what I need to do to make it appear? My camera is showing, just not the lens.
10-24-2018, 03:35 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by selfnoise Quote
I'm not sure if this is a Darktable question or note... but. I'd like my lens metadata to be picked up by Flickr when I upload so it shows on the photo information page. I know Darktable knows what lens I'm using because it ends up in the "lens correction" module, but then when I upload it's not there. Does anyone know what I need to do to make it appear? My camera is showing, just not the lens.
That's weird. Did you try looking at the EXIF information of the JPEG? I just tried that and the lens info is definitely recorded in the EXIF of the darktable export. I don't have a Flicker account so I can't try and upload it.

Is it possible that you're using a manual lens that doesn't record the relevant data and that darktable is just recognizing a preset?
10-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is nothing wrong with your images. Instead, Flickr has decided that it will only show a certain subset of the EXIF data available. They used to show everything but this was pared down in one of the many facelifts over the past couple of years. For instance, any lat/long data will be translated onto a map image rather than be listed out in the EXIF. Whether this was by request of users or a (misguided) way of saving disk space by Flickr is unknown. - Jack
10-27-2018, 06:32 AM   #41

So, I figured this EXIF issue out. The K-50 seems to save the lens information in the "MakerTools" metadata, but not in EXIF, and Flickr doesn't read the former. So I used ExifToolGUI to copy the data from the MakerTools field to the appropriate EXIF field. Problem solved!

I'm not sure I want to do that every time, but I'll figure something out.
10-27-2018, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by selfnoise Quote
I'm not sure I want to do that every time, but I'll figure something out.
The command line "exiftool" can copy values from "MakerTools" to EXIF. See "COPYING EXAMPLES" in the man page.

Code:
 exiftool -tagsFromFile @ '-MakerNotes:LensType>EXIF:LensMake' FILE.DNG
Does the job as well and can be scripted.
10-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #43

Thanks! I'll try to decipher that eventually.
11-05-2018, 10:02 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
For a denoise style that I like, it isn't aggressive. https://dtstyle.net/download.php/367/Denoise.dtstyle
Ah! Now we're on to something! This is what I was referring to when I said if there was something like a PP3 file for RawTherapee. So it's basically a .dstyle file in darktable that we can apply at the beginning to start with some basic settings. I just tried this .dstyle file & for the first time ever, I kind of got something decent from an ISO 12800 RAW file. Hmmm.... I need to figure out how to use the NR settings some more.

It would be nice if someone could start a set of .dstyles for each ISO to make post processing a bit easier. This way they can be applied at the beginning to reduce the time spent on post processing.
11-05-2018, 06:17 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Ah! Now we're on to something! This is what I was referring to when I said if there was something like a PP3 file for RawTherapee. So it's basically a .dstyle file in darktable that we can apply at the beginning to start with some basic settings. I just tried this .dstyle file & for the first time ever, I kind of got something decent from an ISO 12800 RAW file. Hmmm.... I need to figure out how to use the NR settings some more.

It would be nice if someone could start a set of .dstyles for each ISO to make post processing a bit easier. This way they can be applied at the beginning to reduce the time spent on post processing.
The profiled denoise should adjust for the different iso levels. I apply this to iso 400 file and it doesn't ruin it.