Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2018, 09:12 AM - 4 Likes   #46

Two usability issues i had with darktable and a solution for it.

1. Font is too small and doesn't follow system theme font.
  2. Scrollbars are too thin, especially in the side panels.

Solution:

Code:
$ cp /usr/share/darktable/darktable.css ~/.config/darktable/darktable.css

$ edit ~/.config/darktable/darktable.css
Change

Code:
* {
font: 8pt Sans;
}
to
Code:
* {
font-size: 10pt;
}
and
Code:
#lib-plugin-ui scrollbar slider,                                                
#iop-plugin-ui scrollbar slider,
scrollbar slider
{
border-color: transparent;
background-color: @selected_bg_color;
}
to
Code:
#lib-plugin-ui scrollbar slider,                                                
#iop-plugin-ui scrollbar slider,
scrollbar slider
{
min-width: 10pt;
border-color: transparent;
background-color: @selected_bg_color;
}

Last edited by K1N8; 11-24-2018 at 09:47 AM.
01-05-2019, 08:40 AM - 2 Likes   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just recently installed Darktable on my aging pc. I finally got around to processing an image ( minimal tweaks, but made it through from dng to jpg)

(X-posted in the Sunsets thread)

I'm stumbling my way through, with YouTube tutorials, and the click and see method.

A question for the thread:

Is there a way to reorder the items in the favorites module? I usually do a white balance first, then crop...for my work flow. I've added the items to my favorites module, but I'd like it to match how I go about processing.

Not a deal breaker by any means. None of my current software has this ability either.

Fyi, I am running the windows version on win 7.

Thanks
01-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
It would be nice if someone could start a set of .dstyles for each ISO to make post processing a bit easier. This way they can be applied at the beginning to reduce the time spent on post processing.
dtstyle.net - a darktable styles repository

Would be good to share mature Pentax styles at the above site.

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
A question for the thread:

Is there a way to reorder the items in the favorites module? I usually do a white balance first, then crop...for my work flow. I've added the items to my favorites module, but I'd like it to match how I go about processing.

Not a deal breaker by any means. None of my current software has this ability either.

Fyi, I am running the windows version on win 7.

Thanks
You can't change the order of the modules. The order shows how the modules are applied in the darktable pipeline.
01-05-2019, 10:41 AM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
dtstyle.net - a darktable styles repository

Would be good to share mature Pentax styles at the above site.

You can't change the order of the modules. The order shows how the modules are applied in the darktable pipeline.
Thank you.

01-05-2019, 10:16 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually, the re-ordering modules per person rather than pipeline order has been discussed very recently on the dt email lists. It seems some are ready to code up something that will allow it but it would likely have to wait for the next full point release around Christmas 2019 to be incorporated as part of the base code.

Jack
01-07-2019, 01:00 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Then there's also the parametric masks, a great feature that I haven't used much yet but is one of the main reasons I moved to Darktable:
Not to poop on the presenter's video but he is making his life much harder than necessary.

There is no need to draw a mask covering the phone booth so exactly in the second (brightness adjusting) example.
What he wants is an intersection of the parametric (colour range defined) and the hand-drawn masks.
In the second example he is not exploiting the ability to select by colour at all.

I'm unfamiliar with Darktable's interface, so I think what he wanted could have been achieved with the means he presented (just in a different manner) but in any event, here's a video that shows how one can nicely achieve the intersection of masks (or other forms of combination, for that matter):

P.S.: Use
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpcPiL9A60c&t=173
and the video will start at the point (2:53) where I intended it to start. For some reason, the embedded video does not respect the time parameter.

Last edited by Class A; 01-07-2019 at 01:08 AM.
01-15-2019, 05:52 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been test driving this software for over a week now, and I'm hooked.

The downside I've found is now I'm going back to my past favorite pictures and starting over. A lot of work ahead of me.

03-07-2019, 03:08 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New Darktable version (2.6.1) is out

The announcement can be read here: [darktable-user] darktable 2.6.1 released

This new version (an detailed information about what is new /corrected) can be obtain directly from GitHub: Release darktable 2.6.1 released · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

I use the Windows version, have installed it and everything looks ok.

Note: the “normal” direct connection for downloading the Windows and MacOS version in the Darktable website (install | darktable) is not yet updated – still points to the 2.6.0 version. Probably will be updated to the new version in a day or two.

Last edited by ddharriman; 03-07-2019 at 03:19 PM.
03-07-2019, 05:37 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As well as yesterday's v2.6.1 release, a developer has just committed a change to the dt git unstable code that allows reordering of most modules in your favorites. You won't see this in a general release until all the bugs have been worked out but it is something to look forward to. - Jack
03-07-2019, 06:06 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That looks promising.
03-07-2019, 06:09 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the 2.6.1.notice, it looks like I need to finally a compile a version myself - running Debian stable (Stretch) with the 2.4.4 backport currently, made reasonably fluent by an AMD RX 480, which I bought just for image processing (opencl).

It's my second attempt on moving from Rawtherapee to Dartable - this time more successfully. I'll likely be running both side-by side for some time longer, with Rawtherapee for more specialized things like pixel shift or for recovering noisy images. Even though i went through some articles and noise handling, I feel more confident with Rawtherapee. I need to put Noise reduction in Darktable - Tomas Sobek Photography on my reading list for 2.6.

The main features drawing me to Darktable are masks & multiple instances of modules. Here's a recent example, cross-posted from Fisheye Fever Club -- Flaunt your fisheye photos! - PentaxForums.com. Noise-wise, I used the bi-lateral median filter masked to the sky and non-local means, chroma only. Otherwise, I hope this picture doesn't nearly look as heavily processed as it is:

Using, besides the basic ones, 3x color zones (hue by hue - masked, lightness by saturation, saturation by hue), global tonemap, graduated density (masked), lens correction (manual), vignetting. Even with good hardware support, this gets slow - several seconds on each change for the preview update.
03-07-2019, 10:43 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having a beefy CPU plus an opencl-capable GPU really helps with graphics programs that do a lot of compute-intensive calculations. Modules such as profiled denoise in dt are very calculation heavy.
03-08-2019, 02:04 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd consider my Xeon E3-1235 (4 physical cores + HT, so 8 Linux 'CPUs') plus AMD RX 480, while not the absolute newest, still rather beefy. Some modules may still have limited parallel processing and GPU capabilities.

Out of curiosity I started darktable with darktable -d opencl -d perf (see 10.2.7.*OpenCL performance optimization | usermanual | darktable), and changes a value in the raw black/white point at the bottom of the pixel pipeline. Indeed it is the noise reduction taking the majority of the time. Out of
Code:
[dev_process_image] pixel pipeline processing took 3,723 secs (17,806 CPU)
it shows
Code:
[dev_pixelpipe] took 2,310 secs (11,795 CPU) processed `denoise (bilateral filter)' on CPU, blended on CPU [full]
everything else being much faster. 2nd is `output color profile' on CPU, blended on CPU - another non-GPU implementation. The only other non-GPU pipeline part is 'gamma', but it is quick (30ms). All the GPU pipeline steps are indeed much faster. Even disabling opencl, the whole pipeline finishes in 4,010 secs (23,189 CPU) - still denoise (bilateral filter) heavily dominates the total time. Non-local means is relatively quick in comparison, 0,132 secs (0,982 CPU) without opencl.

So in conclusion, for better responsiveness, it's worthwhile to keep the bilateral filter set up but switched off until you're ready to export.
03-08-2019, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

For noise reduction I have found that this youtube movie:
to be quite informative / impressing about the possibilities of denoising in Darktable (specially relating to high iso denoising).

Relating to speeding Darktable I also have found that turning off all denoising modules used in a photo and just activating them before outputting the final image I get the fastest responding Darktable.
Still, for processing my K-S2 files, I have to use this tip just once in 200 photos or so (2016 generation i5 laptop with 6 gigs of ram and 1 terabyte of HD), so Darktable 2.6.1 is fast enough for me as it is.

Last edited by ddharriman; 03-08-2019 at 10:57 AM.
03-20-2019, 02:41 AM   #60
Pentaxian

New Darktable version (2.6.2) is out

The announcement can be read here: [darktable-user] darktable 2.6.2 released

This new version (an detailed information about what is new /corrected) can be obtain directly from GitHub: Release darktable 2.6.2 released · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

Note: no Windows and MacOS versions yet, but they should be expected in a day or two.