Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2019, 07:57 AM   #61

The Mac and Win versions are now available. See above post for link.

03-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #62

Photos: Gallery
It's a pity that they dropped Windows zipped version.
06-10-2019, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Not much going on in this thread lately?

I just want to say that I have been pretty impressed with the (now not-so) new filmic module... and with the retouch module as well. But filmic is giving me an easier way to accomplish the look that I want on a lot of pictures.
06-10-2019, 10:35 AM - 1 Like   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The filmic module lives up to its name and delivers a less saturated look. It also is the best way to tame highlights. However, it is not for all images. Anything with saturated yellows such as buttercups will look better using a basecurve - Jack

06-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am also using filmic more often than not, default settings, really liking it for "normal" photos.

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
However, it is not for all images.
yep

A few examples with a range of subjects.

---------- Post added 06-10-19 at 10:26 PM ----------

Also wanted to add that, unsurprisingly since it shoots dng, darktable works perfectly with the gr iii
06-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here is my first attempt to test Darktable by actually doing something. And what it (and I) did using the filmic module following the Ep. 26 Darktable video of Bruce Williams may be seen comparing the following three pictures, all from an image taken last summer of a Catasetum "Dragonstooth" [orchid] female flower cluster. The conditions were direct sunlight with the 645Z aimed semi-upwards into the flower cluster.

The upper picture is a Darktable generated JPEG file taken directly from a TIFF file generated using Raw Therapee to convert from the PEF file. (At the time of conversion last summer, Darktable could not import PEF files.) Whatever was automatic or nominal or default was used for this purpose in RT. (At that time, RT used the PEF embedded JPEG file to infer white balance.) The middle picture is a JPEG file generated using Darktable after post-processing the PEF file using the steps in Bruce Williams video. The bottom picture is a Darktable generated JPEG taken directly from the PEF file without any post-processing other than whatever is default in DT.

Relative to the upper RT-converted image, the DT images seem to have been subjected to a weather change. But beyond that, the filmic version (middle picture) is only subtly different than the relatively unprocessed lower (pre-filmic) picture. Perhaps that is to be expected. Or perhaps some aspects of filmic and other modules were engaged without me knowing.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
09-25-2019, 08:46 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A quick post not about what Darktable and RawTherapee can do, but what I can do with either one of them and one button click.

First, Darktable. It's so easy to create presets (called styles), so mine is stacked up with some modules and their basic settings, including standard sharpening, CA and fringe removal, lens correction (if applicable), Amaze demosaic, the filmic module, some contrast applied and the haze removal default setting (similar to clarity in other software I guess). Darktable guessed the temperature as 4137K.

Then RawTherapee. I have a couple of default presets for it (called profiles) but they never seem to work well out of the box. I usually have more luck with Auto Levels than my own profiles, so I just used that instead (doesn't work every time either). RawTherapee guessed the temperature as 4152 - close enough, I guess.

I find it interesting how much more pleasing DarkTable is right out of the box. I have an older init style that I also tried to apply, which does not have filmic and some other modules, and uses the standard demosaic that is not as good as Amaze. But the results are still pretty similar, though not as good as with filmic.

With RawTherapee, I'd have to try to mess with the color balance. The first thing I did was to try to adjust the WB a bit to match what I had with Darktable, but then everything started getting a bit too greenish on top of being too yellowish. So I gave up.

The point is, Darktable makes RAW make sense because for the most part, even a one-click conversion/style(preset) can make it look better than the JPEG engine usually does, by quite a lot. For my boys soccer, I run that preset as a batch, and it has the advantage of killing 90% of the purple fringing from the white uniforms out in the bright sun. If I'm doing just one picture at a time, adjusting highlights and shadows if needed is a breeze with the extra dynamic range from RAW.

Not knocking RawTherapee at all. On some occasions I've used one of the "Pop" default profiles and got great results from it, just had to adjust the exposure and the vignetting a bit as it's usually over-exaggerated. I've even made my own "Pop" styles in Darktable.

What's your experience? Is Darktable pretty easy to get good results in a pinch for you?

09-25-2019, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My use of darktable differs from yours. I never look for a one-click result using styles. I always work with the modules to obtain the best result. It may take a little more time, but I am more satisfied with the result.
09-25-2019, 08:12 PM   #69
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My use of darktable differs from yours. I never look for a one-click result using styles. I always work with the modules to obtain the best result. It may take a little more time, but I am more satisfied with the result.
Plus one for that.
A bit of a question about the Base curve and the Tone curve. I am doing some tricky night scenes with highlights and it involves doing some very intricate work on the left hand side of the tone curve to get some light in the shadows. I have discovered a trick whereas I default the base curve to a straight line and use it in conjunction with the Tone curve -- ie working two curves tools like I think you can do in RT. It makes the adjustments needed a lot less intricate.
Is this a valid approach to using the two curves?
09-25-2019, 10:36 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anything that gets you the results you are looking for is fair game! I would have probably tried to use parametric masks to restrict changes to the dark tones. Parametric masks are dt's not-so-secret weapon.
09-26-2019, 02:11 AM   #71
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Anything that gets you the results you are looking for is fair game! I would have probably tried to use parametric masks to restrict changes to the dark tones. Parametric masks are dt's not-so-secret weapon.
The P masks are something I have never been able to create a credible image from - probably from not persevering enough. But you made me have a go here and I think I have got enough onboard now to get better from. Thing is I think they work well on top of using the two curves tools. So I set a mask over "Exposure" and one over my modified Base Curve but left the Tone curve unmasked to keep some overall control. The subject matter is a Parade in the local city utilising LED lighting on cycles etc. If I use flash I destroy the led colour casts on the people and if that is not bad enough I have chosen to stay at base iso to try and maximise dynamic range ans so keep some colour in the light sources. Ie utilising iso invariance. It was a really challenging environment for photography. I used the K1, a Revuenon 55mm f1.2 wide open @ 1/30 so I knew sharpness wasn't going to be the defining point of the images so colour was important. Screenshot is of the excamera image and utilising the above setup.
Attached Images

09-26-2019, 05:36 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remember that you can play with the blending modes (normal, difference, overlay, etc) to see if that helps the image.
09-26-2019, 10:56 AM   #73
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well I'm talking about having a baseline with the right color balances. It's annoying when the colors don't look right and then you have to spend time fixing it - and sometimes fixing one color brokes another... so I like how Darktable seems to give me a good baseline where if I'm shooting something that is a detail or a basic scene, I'm basically done with one click (I do have several styles that I use for different kinds of shots).

For my style of photography, I don't need to do a lot of post processing, but if I am doing a landscape shot or a portrait, even though I'm not selling anything nor getting paid, i'll spend time fine tuning the image and adding modules if needed. To me, the more natural and true to the scene a picture looks, the better.
09-26-2019, 01:17 PM   #74
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Remember that you can play with the blending modes (normal, difference, overlay, etc) to see if that helps the image.
That is what makes the parametric masks so difficult to get started with -- there is so many variables!!
09-26-2019, 01:55 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
What's your experience? Is Darktable pretty easy to get good results in a pinch for you?
I mostly use RawTherapee and Darktable for photographs that (a) are on the edge of what the camera can handle, or (b) I couldn't convince the camera to render the way I wanted them, or (c) I want to print in large formats. For everything else, I'm using the out-of-camera JPGs.

I have a much longer history with RawTherapee than with Darktable, I edited several thousands of pictures with it, so I'm much quicker than with Darktable. Often I get by with just a few clicks and I know how to squeeze out the last bit of detail when I want to.

I'm sure I can get there with DT, but it will take a lot of practice. I'm determined, bought a graphics card with Linux OpenCL support and have been practicing for 2 years now. Even after studying tools, documentation and tutorials, I still struggle with noise reduction in DT more than in RT. The huge advantage of DT over RT are multiple tool instances and masks, for now.

I usually don't have any trouble with white-balance in RT, in your case I used the pipette on the background, showing how skewed (far from Planck) the WB is:
Temperature: 6111K
Tint: 0.886
(based on correcting your RT-developed JPEG)

After this, it looks much better than the DT version to me.

I don't like RT's automated match to the preview via the first tone curve, mainly because of its bad interaction with EV shifts. Otherwise, The Squirrel Mafia's new & improved RawTherapee thread! - PentaxForums.com provides a high degree of automation with very good results.