Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2019, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
New styles

I know a lot of people here like to process their images in an individual fashion, after selecting their keepers...

...while others like me like to apply a baseline and then just adjust if needed. With Darktable being non-destructive, it's what some of us like to do.

So I uploaded a few new styles to dtstyle.net - two for portraits, one for landscapes and one for general photography:

General use: Init-Pop w_Filmic, Amaze, Vibrance
Landscape: Init-Sunny Day Pop w_Bright Pastel Colors
Portrait 1: Init-Portrait Pop with Filmic, Amaze, Split Toning
Portrait 2: Init-Portrait with Amaze, Split Toning

Some examples...

Direct raw conversion (no base curve). This was my youngest boy taken with the K-50 and DA 16-45mm.

Init-Portrait Pop with Filmic, Amaze, Split Toning
This is a more film-like approach without being too film-y (you can add a film emulation on top of it if necessary). The filmic module doesn't try to emulate any specific film but just the behavior of film, I guess negative film in this case because it gives lower contrast and saturation than base curves typically give. I did add a bit more clarity and added back some contrast and saturation, but didn't mess too much with filmic itself - as I stated above, I can't really master it yet.
The use of the tone splitting module is very subtle and is basically to give healthy skin tones while also contributing to a more film-like look very slightly.

Init-Portrait with Amaze, Split Toning
I seem to get better results still with the base curve, and I have the Pentax base curve selected as my default.
This also uses the tone splitting module for better skin tones and to tame the greens a little bit.

Feel free to comment or criticize. Next the I'll post the other two styles...

12-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #107
Pentaxian

Original Poster
For the other two styles, I used an image made with the K10D and M 28 3.5.

Here is the image converted directly from RAW.

Init-Pop w_Filmic, Amaze, Vibrance
This uses Filmic for what I think are more subtle tone changes, and adds color and contrast and a dash of vibrance. The vignette is very subtle and can be easily be turned off.
If the end result is too bright, it's probably the exposure module's fault, just turn it off or turn the exposure down a bit. Pentax cameras underexpose more often than not, so my use of exposure is to compensate for that.

Init-Sunny Day Pop w_Bright Pastel Colors
This has a graduated filter so the top half's exposure is down a bit while the bottom half will have its brightness raised. Easy to turn off the graduated filter module if needed.
I've created this setting for fall colors but it is useful whenever bold colors with a tendency towards pastel tones is desired. I have another "Sunny Day Pop" module that I uploaded a while back to dtstyles, and that one has more neutral colors.

Comments and criticism is very welcome
12-04-2019, 01:28 PM - 2 Likes   #108
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok so this is that last picture with the older "Landscape Sunny Day Pop" style.

12-04-2019, 06:34 PM   #109
Pentaxian

I've been using the levels module for brightness and contrast and finding it quite good.

12-05-2019, 12:19 PM   #110
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations and thank you very much for the styles contribution into dtstyle.net.

From these new 4, I like the "Init-Pop w_Filmic, Amaze, Vibrance" a lot.

Best regards,
12-24-2019, 02:07 AM - 2 Likes   #111
Pentaxian

New Darktable version (3.0) is out

Here we have it - and as expected a Christmas present!!! -, the full release of Darktable 3.0.

This new version (an detailed information about what is new /corrected) can be obtain directly from GitHub: Release darktable 3.0.0 released · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

Last edited by ddharriman; 12-24-2019 at 02:36 AM.
12-24-2019, 10:43 AM   #112
Pentaxian

Even more detailed info about this new version can be found here: darktable 3.0 - darktable - discuss.pixls.us

Best regards,

12-24-2019, 05:00 PM   #113
Pentaxian

For ubuntu users, the old ppa doesn't have it but I found a new one that does darktable release : Panda Jim
But before finding this I decided to build it from source. Works fine, looks slightly different, I'll now go see what's new
12-26-2019, 09:17 AM   #114
Pentaxian

Original Poster
They replaced the filmic module with a new "filmic RGB", which means that presets that use filmic won't work properly anymore, including the ones I uploaded to the dtstyles website.

There should be a way for someone to take down the styles they uploaded to that site... but I guess they can be replaced, so I'll work on that after I play with 3.0.
12-27-2019, 09:47 AM   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm waiting for a 3.0 flatpack version. Loading is still at ver. 2.6.3.
12-27-2019, 01:14 PM   #116
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
They replaced the filmic module with a new "filmic RGB", which means that presets that use filmic won't work properly anymore, including the ones I uploaded to the dtstyles website.

There should be a way for someone to take down the styles they uploaded to that site... but I guess they can be replaced, so I'll work on that after I play with 3.0.
Have they removed the old filmic? They had two filmic modules in parallel for a while.
12-27-2019, 02:28 PM   #117

Heads up... on 3.0.0 version

I don’t know if this forum is the right place to describe issues... but here is what I saw.

I just installed the 3.0 version (over 2.6) and have an (opened) issue with them.

All my “portrait” images were all flipped upside down (180 degrees, heads down).
I am waiting for their reply and see what they say...

Information
As I described them, my camera configuration in “no automatic rotation”, images taken with battery grip (90° counterclockwise rotation).

Edit
This is a known issue. Apparently, there was a “problem” with the previous versions (and 3.0 is THE correct one).

Last edited by mhoule418; 12-27-2019 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Information update
12-27-2019, 02:31 PM   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@house As I understand it, the old filmic module is still there but will only show up if an old image that used it is loaded.
12-27-2019, 04:38 PM   #119
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
@house As I understand it, the old filmic module is still there but will only show up if an old image that used it is loaded.
Yes that is what it says in the release notes. The old filmic will stay behind the scenes so that previously edited pictures will not be broken, but for new edits, you have to use the new filmic RGB.
12-27-2019, 10:40 PM   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The new filmic RGB lacks the too-warm color shift of the old module so in that respect alone is better than the previous version.