Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2019, 09:25 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have to say I haven't really come to terms with filmic (rgb or otherwise). It does highlights well but tend to crush the blacks in my scenes. It also requires quite a few roundtrips in the tabs (filmic RGB) before it looks good.

For some shots that are quite good to start with and have a 'normal' exposure and distribution of light it does really well.

12-28-2019, 10:00 AM   #122
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have they included good pixelshift support in this release?
12-28-2019, 10:38 AM   #123
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
No, you have to use Rawtherapee for pixelshift. I also use it for everything else but regularly checking darktable out.
12-28-2019, 10:49 AM   #124
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
AFAIK, there's no pixelshift support in darktable. Pretty sure you have to use RawTherapee > 16-bit TIFF > darktable. That said, I'm still waiting for 3.0 to hit my repo so I can try the new version, so I'd love to be incorrect!

12-28-2019, 10:53 AM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ashurbanipal Quote
AFAIK, there's no pixelshift support in darktable. Pretty sure you have to use RawTherapee > 16-bit TIFF > darktable. That said, I'm still waiting for 3.0 to hit my repo so I can try the new version, so I'd love to be incorrect!
If you are set of darktable for all your non pixelshift photography needs your suggestion makes sense. I've switched to Rawtherapee instead. I find I get better detail in RT but it's not as smooth when processing lots of photos.
12-28-2019, 11:18 AM   #126
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
If you are set of darktable for all your non pixelshift photography needs your suggestion makes sense. I've switched to Rawtherapee instead. I find I get better detail in RT but it's not as smooth when processing lots of photos.
You've described me perfectly--I really like the workflow with dt, and I don't do much pixelshift. I like RT, but it seems like I'm always fighting the interface when I use it. A large part of that is simply lack of familiarity, I'm sure, but for some reason RT and I have never really "clicked". I'm very happy to have both dt & RT available, though, and can't stress enough how grateful I am to the developers that make that possible!
12-28-2019, 02:56 PM   #127
Pentaxian

Just downloaded the 3.0 version and tested the equalizer. It's really revolutionised my ability to get something useful from photos with high dynamic range! I've really struggled with those, and never really understood how I could fix them, but with the equalizer it's a piece of cake.

Last edited by deus ursus; 12-28-2019 at 03:52 PM.
12-28-2019, 03:37 PM   #128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Just downloaded the 3.0 version and tested the equalizer. It's really revolutionised my ability to get something useful from photos with high dynamic range! I've really struggled with those, and never really understood how I could fix them, but with the equalizer it's a piece og cake.
Yep the equaliser is nice. Very intuitive.
01-07-2020, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For Debian, compiling it from the recent 'experimental' 3.0.0 source as a private backport to buster went smooth and has been stable for me so far.

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Just downloaded the 3.0 version and tested the equalizer. It's really revolutionised my ability to get something useful from photos with high dynamic range! I've really struggled with those, and never really understood how I could fix them, but with the equalizer it's a piece of cake.
Thanks for pointing this out. From the "simple" interface, it looked like a different way to construct a tone curve, but taking a closer look, it reveals its local vs. global contrast parameters in "advanced". For pictures with high dynamic range, I normally l struggle in darktable, because both "global tonemap" and "tone mapping" tend to quickly introduce artifacts.

My favorite are the changes and new defaults in 'denoise (profiled)' - just excellent. They were plain unseless as-is in 2.6. No more fiddling with multiple modules, blend modes etc. for most pictures in 3.0. An example of a 100% crop @6400 ISO with a K-P, using the defaults in profiled denoise:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
01-07-2020, 02:17 PM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The developer of the filmicRGB module says that if using filmic, one must disable basecurve. As well the only other modules you should use are tone equalizer and color balance. Using any of the other level adjusting modules will destroy proper filmic results. I have no problem adjusting the blacks in filmic using these modules.
01-12-2020, 01:32 PM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More practicing in the last two nights, after having watched Aurélien PIERRE Photo's video series on filmic-rgb and the tone equalizer, skipping over most of the math/physics, which I'm rather familiar with and playing at 1.5x speed. I really like his style of developing the presentation while he talks, everything is very well presented. Best talks in my "physics years" were all developing their material with chalk and blackboard, not just showing pre-made diagrams etc.

Among my landscape shots, I have a lot of DNGs with a very high dynamic range. The workflow using filmic to construct a "base curve equivalent" - with proper de-saturation of both ends, is very different from using a fixed base curve first and later doing adjustments around it, as is the case both for DT 2.6 and Rawtherapee.. There is a lot of good advice on when to use it in which way. Using both is a somewhat iterative process, because filmic-rgb needs to come after the tone equalizer in the pipeline, and you can visually make sense of the result of the tone equalizer only after passing through filmic, and the optimal filmic settings in turn are dependent on you tone equalizer settings. So I find myself going back and forth between both a few times, in turn circling between filmic's scene and presentation tabs several times usually.

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
The developer of the filmicRGB module says that if using filmic, one must disable basecurve. As well the only other modules you should use are tone equalizer and color balance. Using any of the other level adjusting modules will destroy proper filmic results. I have no problem adjusting the blacks in filmic using these modules.
I did in a few instances use thing like a graduated filter or even vignette (brightness only) in the pipeline before the tone equalizer, which brought the required adjustments in the tone equalizer into much more of a sane range, making it a lot less extreme and more useful. And of course, there are other modules, which affect the tones, that - used sensibly - do make sense to be used in conjunction with filmic, after it in the pipeline, such as 'color zones'. What you want to ensure is, that you don't carelessly move values in/out of the de-saturation ranges that filmic produced, so you mostly stay within the 'latitude range, otherwise you'd really destroy some of the filmic work.

Below is an example output from last night, a photograph taken in 2013 which I have struggled with to process earlier. I do have a reasonable Rawtherapee version, but wasn't really happy. With DT3.0/tone equalizer/filmic I still struggle with a color version, but the I'm fairly happy with the B&W one, reaching a nice separation from the trees in the background as intended:

My main concern was that the tone equalizer still generated a hint of a bright zone around the tree, especially visible when attempting split toning. I have avoided most of it above by tweaking the mask parameters, but there is still some on the right side of the tree.
01-18-2020, 11:33 PM   #132
Pentaxian

This is about darktable 3.0.
With this release, I see my raw files (both PEF/DNG) with colours washed out. I had to increase the saturation a lot to get to the image of in camera JPEG (used RAW+ shooting to compare)
I didn't have this problem with darktable 2.x version.
Any one else have this issue? Should I file a bug in DT?
01-19-2020, 02:29 PM   #133
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
This is about darktable 3.0.
With this release, I see my raw files (both PEF/DNG) with colours washed out. I had to increase the saturation a lot to get to the image of in camera JPEG (used RAW+ shooting to compare)
I didn't have this problem with darktable 2.x version.
Any one else have this issue? Should I file a bug in DT?
No signs here of the issue you describe.
Have you checked if your dt is applying the Pentax basecurve?

Cheers,
Terry
01-20-2020, 01:55 AM   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tduell Quote
No signs here of the issue you describe.
Have you checked if your dt is applying the Pentax basecurve?

Cheers,
Terry
Yes. Pentax like base curve is turned on by default.
Another of my friend also felt the difference. So we are planning to downgrade the DT to 2.x

The DCU and also RawTherapee is showing the colours as close to the JPEG. Only with DT 3.0, I am seeing this newly
01-20-2020, 02:00 AM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
Yes. Pentax like base curve is turned on by default.
Another of my friend also felt the difference. So we are planning to downgrade the DT to 2.x

The DCU and also RawTherapee is showing the colours as close to the JPEG. Only with DT 3.0, I am seeing this newly
I can't say i have the same experience. I can't say either I have any idea what's causing your issue.