Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 140 Likes Search this Thread
03-09-2020, 03:30 PM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Darktable 3.0.1 has been released: darktable 3.0.1 released | darktable

It's actually got quite a bit packed up for what is a 0.1 patch: a new color assessment model*, focus peaking*, resizing of right and left hand panels, and a YOUOVO mode* in the wavelet denoise profile. A few UI tweaks and other changes, and bug fixes.

*I have to admit I don't know what I'd use those for....

03-10-2020, 01:59 AM   #152
Pentaxian

What's a YOUOVO mode?
03-10-2020, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
What's a YOUOVO mode?
What i can say, is that it changes the way color is handled and is spelled Y0U0V0 (as in YUV with zeros appended). It's a choice when switching profiled denoise to 'wavelets' and supposed to address luma (Y0) and chroma (U0V0) seperately within one module instance.
03-11-2020, 07:45 PM   #154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been playing with the Y0U0V0 mode today. It does not wipe out noise as easily as the RGB mode but as a result it leaves more definition in the image due to the split mode.

04-05-2020, 08:56 PM   #155
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok, I'm not sure how to say this but I'm having difficulties with Darktable 3.0... now 3.0.1.

In 2.6, I got the colors I liked right out of an init file that applied the "Pentax" curve for the basic curve. Anything I did after that was the cherry on top - the files were already perfect 99% of the time - great colors and a very natural feel.

Now with 3.0... the colors just look wrong - no matter if I use that same base curve, or filmic RGB or whatever.

Today I took some pictures at a gardens not far from our house that it still open during this stay-at-home period (it's deemed an exercise/health resource so it has a licence to remain open as long as you have a prepaid ticket or annual pass). I took quite a few pictures in the japanese garden where they have a ton of japanese maples - when they are growing new leaves they have this typical reddish color that is not quite as vivid as in the fall, but still quite beautiful.

With Rawtherapee, the files look really great without much effort - the light was very pleasing this afternoon. With Corel Aftershot Pro 3 (which I re-acquired recently at a great price, basically to use Perfectly Clear on my JPEGs), it looks typically great as long as you don't pixel peep (their demosaic'ing isn't very good for the K-S1). I also tried processing the JPEG on ASP3 and it was good but not at the same level of the RAW from RawTherapee - but the colors were still very pleasing.

With DarkTable 3.0.1, like I said with both the base curve or the filmic module, the japanese maple leaves look... brown. And the colors in general just look a bit off, but the japanese maples really make it obvious. It requires a LOT of work just to get the colors somewhere near what they look like in real life, and then other colors look even more off than they did when I started.

I must be doing something wrong? This week I think I'll uninstall 3.0 and go back to 2.6 and stay there for a while... or just move my RAW work back to RawTherapee for a while.
04-05-2020, 09:39 PM   #156
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I must be doing something wrong? This week I think I'll uninstall 3.0 and go back to 2.6 and stay there for a while... or just move my RAW work back to RawTherapee for a while.
Sounds like something is amiss.
I've been regularly building darktable from the git repository, and not seen any effects like you describe.
It might be worth spending a little time going through your preferences just to be sure that there some unintended changes haven't crept in, such as changed colour space for instance.

Cheers,
Terry
04-06-2020, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #157
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hello ChristianRock

Have you tested Aurélian Pierre’s “basic semi-automated style”?
For me it works great and has speeded up my processing too.

In his own words it’s «a basic darktable style to apply to get a “lightroom-like” (in the spirit, not in the result) base look with a generic filmic setting that mimics the original OCIO filmic (which is a pre-computed LUT, not a parametric tool)».

One can get the style in: Basic semi-automated style for darktable 3.0/filmic - darktable - discuss.pixls.us

And also follow a more then 2 hour youtub film where he demonstrates how to use it with practical examples (interpolated with technical explanations when needed), in:

Best regards,

04-06-2020, 01:22 PM   #158
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ddharriman Quote
Hello ChristianRock

Have you tested Aurélian Pierre’s “basic semi-automated style”?
For me it works great and has speeded up my processing too.

In his own words it’s «a basic darktable style to apply to get a “lightroom-like” (in the spirit, not in the result) base look with a generic filmic setting that mimics the original OCIO filmic (which is a pre-computed LUT, not a parametric tool)».

One can get the style in: Basic semi-automated style for darktable 3.0/filmic - darktable - discuss.pixls.us

And also follow a more then 2 hour youtub film where he demonstrates how to use it with practical examples (interpolated with technical explanations when needed), in: [EN] darktable 3.0 live - fast workflow for pros/time-constrained photographers - YouTube

Best regards,
Thanks for the reference. I did try some dtstyles, even some that were made for 3.0.

My issue isn't only filmicRGB, it's with the base curve as well. Something is off - I've even uninstalled and started again from scratch but that hasn't helped.

To be honest, in the linked page, I see some of that weird color cast in the picture examples as well.
04-06-2020, 01:48 PM   #159

I had a similar problem with 3.0 and I've decided to just use 2.6 on a semi-permanent basis. There's something not quite right with 3.0.
04-06-2020, 02:32 PM   #160
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by selfnoise Quote
I had a similar problem with 3.0 and I've decided to just use 2.6 on a semi-permanent basis. There's something not quite right with 3.0.
Thank you, so it's not just me...

I just tried to install 2.6.3. Installed and uninstalled a couple times (from their 2.6.3 release page), re-downloaded and then re-installed again... and I'm getting this: the program crashes upon launching and just quits. No error or anything, it just shows the Windows command screen (with nothing on it, sometimes for a fraction of a second, sometimes for several seconds) and fails. Yes I did download the Win64 version for my Win10 computer...

I know DarkTable is a serious software made by serious people but I think it is in a transition phase right now where it's basically being rewritten for no-loss processing, and with big changes comes big potential for something going wrong.. I'll check it out again in the future but for now I'm kind of done fighting with it.
04-06-2020, 02:34 PM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Filing a bug report and providing examples for the devs is the only way to get this investigated. I am running the git code and there is no such off-color there.
04-06-2020, 02:51 PM   #162
Pentaxian

Can you show a screen capture of the color cast you are getting(?) and / or original raw file so one can check if it happens on another computer 3.0.1 installation?

Best regards,
04-06-2020, 03:49 PM   #163

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Thank you, so it's not just me...

I just tried to install 2.6.3. Installed and uninstalled a couple times (from their 2.6.3 release page), re-downloaded and then re-installed again... and I'm getting this: the program crashes upon launching and just quits. No error or anything, it just shows the Windows command screen (with nothing on it, sometimes for a fraction of a second, sometimes for several seconds) and fails. Yes I did download the Win64 version for my Win10 computer...

I know DarkTable is a serious software made by serious people but I think it is in a transition phase right now where it's basically being rewritten for no-loss processing, and with big changes comes big potential for something going wrong.. I'll check it out again in the future but for now I'm kind of done fighting with it.
You might try to use a program like Revo Uninstaller to ensure that any versions of the software are completely uninstalled from your machine.

---------- Post added 04-06-2020 at 03:52 PM ----------

Anyway, I didn't find the new features in 3.0 to be worth it either way... Both the Filmic and Color Zones modules were altered in such a way that I couldn't get them to produce the effects I wanted any longer.
04-06-2020, 07:46 PM   #164
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ddharriman Quote
Can you show a screen capture of the color cast you are getting(?) and / or original raw file so one can check if it happens on another computer 3.0.1 installation?

Best regards,
For the most part it's subtle... just an overall "this doesn't loo quite right but I can't tell what's wrong" until the RawTherapee file looks better - but it was obvious in the case of the japanese maple leaves.
And up to 2.6 I used to brag about getting better rendering and colors and especially a better sense of depth from DarkTable, I think even in this thread here.

I should have exported the picture before uninstalling 3.0. I'll try to install it again soon and post the results.

What I can do today is to post the RawTherapee outtput and a link to the Raw file.
The RawTherapee edit was about 30 seconds, I haven't really started processing these files yet... and this one probably won't make the cut anyway, but it does show the trees I"m talking about:

(if you right click the file you get the full image)

Raw link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1X6xfWkETi1uQA6T2Yx_gF1wRclj91QO9

If you apply just the base curve with the Pentax setting, what do you get? Can I see? I got leaves that very different, quite more brown, and the greens were duller, and the whole image lacked the depth that I'm used to from Darktable 2.6.
04-06-2020, 08:33 PM   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You cannot just apply the basecurve or filmic modules and expect to see a finished product in darktable. For example, here is your image after initial adjustment in filmic. No clipping on either end and midtones adjusted to 18.45% A totally blah image that needs some TLC. This is what the filmic author describes as "an image ready for adjustments".

And here is your image using basecurve AND further tweaking using the basic adjustment module. Much closer to the RT output:

I think you just need more time exploring the new modules and coming up with what works for you. The tools are all there.

Jack