Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2020, 06:33 AM   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I used to get very natural colors right out of the base curve set to the Pentax curve. The Leica curve was very very similar - just a tad less contrast. Filmic always took a bit more work but it was actually basically ok from the start, at least the colors wouldn't be way off.

Even in your example, after your base curve and initial adjustments, the maple leaves still look dry and the color is still quite a bit off. I think it would take a bit of work to get them looking right - something that I didn't have to do in previous versions.

04-07-2020, 07:53 AM   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which is why you need to experiment with the modules to see what works for you. Then you make a preset which you can apply to an image automatically on import.
04-07-2020, 08:43 AM   #168
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Which is why you need to experiment with the modules to see what works for you. Then you make a preset which you can apply to an image automatically on import.
My experience is that what works on one image isn't going to necessarily work on another image when this much tweaking is required.

When you go around changing hues and things like that, it's quite different from just developing a base curve you like.
04-07-2020, 09:00 AM   #169
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have noticed that when I open .dng files in Linux, the base curve is set to preserve colors = none (drop down option under the curve), and when I open the same file in Windows10, the preserve colors = luminance.

The preserve color = luminance looks more muted, while the =none option is more vibrant.

I play more with the levels, than the base curve.If I understood the base curve more (more practice), I'd probably use that more.

I should be using my time off work, and deep diving into each slider that I play around with in Darktable.

04-07-2020, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #170
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
I have noticed that when I open .dng files in Linux, the base curve is set to preserve colors = none (drop down option under the curve), and when I open the same file in Windows10, the preserve colors = luminance.

The preserve color = luminance looks more muted, while the =none option is more vibrant.

I play more with the levels, than the base curve.If I understood the base curve more (more practice), I'd probably use that more.

I should be using my time off work, and deep diving into each slider that I play around with in Darktable.
That actually helped a bit, Riggomatic.

With the preserve color = none, I am closer to where I want to be... but I'll have to redo all my styles since they're all starting with preserve colors=luminance...

(yes your comment made me reinstall 3.0.1...)

Edit: now after having edited a few pictures, all other modules seem to behave properly again, now that the "preserve color" setting was set back to none. I'm happy with DarkTable again

Last edited by ChristianRock; 04-07-2020 at 02:04 PM.
04-07-2020, 02:06 PM   #171
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
That actually helped a bit, Riggomatic.

With the preserve color = none, I am closer to where I want to be... but I'll have to redo all my styles since they're all starting with preserve colors=luminance...

(yes your comment made me reinstall 3.0.1...)
Glad to have helped.

I'm also checking some of the presets on the curve: the Pentax Like vs the Pentax K-5 (my camera).
When I do the snap shot, and compare the images with the slider, the Pentax Like curve is brighter (with the preserve color = none)

I think I need my base curve set to Pentax Like with preserve color = none. That looks more like the .jpg from the camera to me.
04-07-2020, 03:01 PM   #172
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok so after playing around with FilmicRGB a bit more, I'm definitely not going back to 2.6 There are a lot of good possibilities with this and it really is much better than anything I was able to achieve with the base curve, even after solving my color issues.

I'm glad you guys didn't let me give up

Edit: for some reason this looks brighter in Darktable but after exporting, it got darker... hmmm.

04-17-2020, 11:22 AM - 3 Likes   #173
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just wanted to say thank you to ChristianRock and Riggomatic as a lurker on this thread, but very much a DarkTable user.

I recently bought a K3-II to upgrade from a K30 and that switch coincided with my installation of 3.0.1. With the K3-II and 3.0.1 combination, my pictures were starting so greyish and dark in the darkroom that I was getting concerned about whether it was camera or software. I found a few modules that I hadn't had to use in earlier versions and was able to play around and get things looking okay, but the final images still came out a bit blueish. Lots of googling didn't give me nearly as much help as this thread. Now I guess I'm going to re-process a bunch of pictures.

Thanks all.
04-17-2020, 03:19 PM - 2 Likes   #174
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New Darktable version (3.0.2) is out

This new version (an detailed information about what is new /corrected) can be obtain directly from GitHub: Release darktable 3.0.2 released · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

Best regards,
05-08-2020, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just to say I'll be joining this coterie. I've been working on as pared down a setup on Darktable as I can get. Working on MX Linux for fun these days.

Enjoying the Equalizer a lot. Effortless with the GR as it is already so sharp.

Glade trees
by Aaron, on Flickr
05-08-2020, 11:01 PM   #176
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have just done a build of MX Linux - been using it for a few months. But I miss Gnome3 too much and am probably going back to Ubuntu. What have you been using up to now Clarkey?
05-09-2020, 06:55 AM   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I have just done a build of MX Linux - been using it for a few months. But I miss Gnome3 too much and am probably going back to Ubuntu. What have you been using up to now Clarkey?
Hi, Gub. I have MX on 3 devices in the house now. Windows on the way out as I am done with the spyware and update processes. I had a built of mint/cinnamon going for a while, but Deb based stuff seems to work for me and MX is a nice balance. I've not tried Manjaro yet. The only downside I have encountered is having to deal with CUPs for printing, which is a linux issue.
05-09-2020, 02:54 PM   #178
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
The only downside I have encountered is having to deal with CUPs for printing, which is a linux issue.
Yeah I have a virtual XP guest that I use as a printing app for photos. Having said that the Ubuntu is now at least printing a text document.
Trying to define what I don't like about the MX linux. The applications directory is hard work but I think it is because I am not used to the MX names. And I really miss the gnome 3 ability with the displayed windows.
05-12-2020, 03:09 PM   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Yeah I have a virtual XP guest that I use as a printing app for photos. Having said that the Ubuntu is now at least printing a text document.
Trying to define what I don't like about the MX linux. The applications directory is hard work but I think it is because I am not used to the MX names. And I really miss the gnome 3 ability with the displayed windows.
For me, I am used to the windows structure of folders and the file manager is close enough. Maybe that's the issue - too close to Windows!
05-15-2020, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #180
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Opeongo memories
by Aaron, on Flickr