01-01-2021, 09:19 PM   #211
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Latest ubuntu binaries can be downloaded here:

Install package graphics:darktable / darktable

The binaries are listed as xubuntu but they work for all ubuntus. Give the latest a try to see if it works better.

Jack
That is the same link as I did.
I tried again and still can't get the repository command to work.
But this time I managed to download the .deb and install via the "software installer".
So now I am at DT 3.4 and everything is working and colors are good.
I am surprised that the standard repository build is buggy.
Thanks for the input guys.

01-01-2021, 11:51 PM - 2 Likes   #212
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is a link to the dt v3.4 user manual. You will need this since there are deep changes in this version:

darktable 3.4 user manual - darktable 3.4

I find lots of useful additions such as the chroma only denoising (right click on the rightmost icon on the denoise profiled module). Note that you have two options to how you approach the raw processing in v3.4. Click on the "cog" icon on the top header in the lighttable and go to the processing section. If you select display-referred rather than scene-referred for the auto-apply pixel workflow defaults, you will be working with the old color science using the Lab color space. If you select display-referred, you should also set auto-apply chromatic adaptation to legacy. If you are working with the old color science, you should probably also enable "auto-apply per camera basecurve presets". If you want to work with the new color science using the more modern RGB color space then select scene-referred and modern and disable the basecurve presets. Some advocates of the old color science say they get better results when selecting "none" for the chromatic adaptation. You will need to play around a bit to get a feel for the changes and what you like best. I chose the scene-referred workflow and I like the colors I get.
01-02-2021, 01:09 AM   #213
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Here is a link to the dt v3.4 user manual. You will need this since there are deep changes in this version:

darktable 3.4 user manual - darktable 3.4

I find lots of useful additions such as the chroma only denoising (right click on the rightmost icon on the denoise profiled module). Note that you have two options to how you approach the raw processing in v3.4. Click on the "cog" icon on the top header in the lighttable and go to the processing section. If you select display-referred rather than scene-referred for the auto-apply pixel workflow defaults, you will be working with the old color science using the Lab color space. If you select display-referred, you should also set auto-apply chromatic adaptation to legacy. If you are working with the old color science, you should probably also enable "auto-apply per camera basecurve presets". If you want to work with the new color science using the more modern RGB color space then select scene-referred and modern and disable the basecurve presets. Some advocates of the old color science say they get better results when selecting "none" for the chromatic adaptation. You will need to play around a bit to get a feel for the changes and what you like best. I chose the scene-referred workflow and I like the colors I get.
Cool bananas
I was aware of the earlier discussion about moving to RGB and knew I had to go back and try and glean some information from the posts.
You have condensed it into the one well informed post. Thank you very much.
Just did a run through set up as per your display referred settings and can see I am going to like it.
Guess I have to read the manual at some point - I tend to use them as troubleshooting.
Thanks again.
01-21-2021, 05:34 PM   #214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

An example of an image for which I couldn't get a decent rendering before, due to its extreme dynamic range. Contra-lit trees are notoriously difficult to tame in a natural looking way, but I'm fairly happy with what I got from dt3.4 in the scene-related workflow - which I find hugely more robust than display-referred tools against artifacts. Feel free to point out any disturbing ones ...

I used more modules than usual. To deal with the dynamic range, mainly tone equalizer, graduated density, filmic rgb including reconstruction tuning, local contrast and vignetting. For details contrast equalizer (to sharpen) & local contrast, for colors I just cranked up saturation quite a bit, no other fine-tuning in color balance yet, the sky could use some color adjustment. A tiny bump in the RGB curve makes the trees a lot less flat, another to spacially distribute the various shades in the clouds better. Lens correction works well to get the curving water horizon (right side) addressed for the "wide" end of the 55-300mm PLM. A bit of a nuisance that it is in the lensfun DB, but not named in the EXIF panel and lighttable filters yet (unknown ID).

It's not that it now is such a great photo that I'd like to print it, but I have fond memories on that winter kayak day a year ago, just after Christmas, and I'm happy that at least it now reminds me of that day's mood. For anything more, I'd have to go into an image editor, e.g. for selective dodging and burning, but don't think the composition warrants that effort.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
01-21-2021, 06:47 PM   #215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, it is easier to work with a higher dynamic range image in the scene-referred workflow. I usually stick to Aurelien Pierre's suggestion to use the exposure (midtone exposure adjust) -> color calibration (for white balamce) -> filmic rgb (white and black point adjust, contrast) -> tone equalizer -> local contrast => color balance (for global saturation) workflow. On more well-exposed images only the first three steps are often all that is needed.
02-06-2021, 05:54 AM - 3 Likes   #216
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New Darktable version (3.4.1) is out.

It is mainly a correcting bugs release with some extra small improvements - for us, is of special interest in the new noise profiles the K-1 II being contemplated.

This new version (and detailed information about what is new /corrected) can be obtain directly from GitHub: Release darktable 3.4.1 released · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

Best regards,
02-07-2021, 04:18 PM - 3 Likes   #217
Pentaxian

New Darktable version (3.4.1) - important information!

If you are using Darktable in Windows 10, do not upgrade from Darktable 3.4.0 to 3.4.1.

Several users have reported (myself included) that in version 3.4.1, using the auto-picker option in any of the modules (color calibration, filmic, etc.) will crash Darktable, one of the discussions about this issue can be checked here: filmic rgb - win10 - DT 3.4.1 - bug? - darktable - discuss.pixls.us.

My advice is to wait for what the developers will do about it.

Best regards,

02-07-2021, 06:31 PM   #218
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've used the color picker in the split tone module and hasn't crashed on me. I haven't tried any other modules yet.
02-08-2021, 02:35 AM   #219
Pentaxian

This is happening in Darktable 3.4.1 running on Windows 10.
Is Windows 10 your operating system?

Best regards,
02-08-2021, 03:31 PM   #220
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ddharriman Quote
This is happening in Darktable 3.4.1 running on Windows 10.
Is Windows 10 your operating system?

Best regards,
I double checked, I'm still at DT rev 3.4.0. Yes on the WIN10.

Thanks for the heads up!
02-08-2021, 03:48 PM   #221
Pentaxian

You are welcome.
02-08-2021, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #222
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just something I stumbled across this evening. I figured if I type this out, it will help me remember it.

I was using the shadow module, and used the oval quick mask to apply the affect to a small area. I usually use the scroll wheel and shift or control to change the sizes. For some reason I held down shift and control then rolled the scroll wheel and the mask rotated (left or right with the scrolling) around 5° each detent of the mouse wheel.

That was neat and all, but I wasn't sure how to reset the oval mask to be vertical. I ended up reading that part of the manual, and found out that you left click a node on the mask, hold the ctrl key and drag the mouse left and right for a finer rotation control.
02-08-2021, 09:55 PM   #223
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ddharriman Quote
New Darktable version (3.4.1) - important information!

If you are using Darktable in Windows 10, do not upgrade from Darktable 3.4.0 to 3.4.1.

Several users have reported (myself included) that in version 3.4.1, using the auto-picker option in any of the modules (color calibration, filmic, etc.) will crash Darktable, one of the discussions about this issue can be checked here: filmic rgb - win10 - DT 3.4.1 - bug? - darktable - discuss.pixls.us.

My advice is to wait for what the developers will do about it.

Best regards,
Thanks for the heads up. I will hold on before upgrading.
02-09-2021, 06:19 AM - 3 Likes   #224
Pentaxian

New Darktable version (3.4.1.1)

The problem with version (3.4.1) is resolved, and there is now a new Windows version named “darktable-3.4.1.1-win64.exe” on the gitub download page: Release darktable 3.4.1 released · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

The messages relating to this can be read in here: [darktable-user] windows : darktable 3.4.1 broken and more or less immediately after here: [darktable-user] windows : darktable 3.4.1.1 ready

I have installed this new version, tested the problem and now darktable behaves as should (it does not crash).

Best regards,
03-31-2021, 01:32 PM   #225
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So after taking a break from DarkTable for a few months, because I thought the program was too unstable and the new RGB modules were not terribly useful yet, I am back in the fold...

I think Darktable still isn't as useful right out of the box, as RawTherapee. RawTherapee will give you good results with hardly any fussing around. Darktable will too if you have set up some styles that match your style and your camera. Then it can deliver great results.

Example: I opened up a picture of my fire pit. Turned off the base curve and turned on the Filmic module. Immediately, all yellows turned to red and my flame was now bright red.

I was about to give up again at that point but someone has posted a "Filmic 3.0+" style in dtstyles.net and I thought I'd apply that instead of trying to correct the colors manually. Thankfully, it worked and the natural colors were back. So I went and I created an Init style and just by applying that (after correcting exposure if needed) I can get some pretty great results easily. It does things such as changing the demosaic method to AMaZE and other basic settings that I like.

So I'm back in the DarkTable fold...

Darktable seems to handle luminance in a more natural way compared with other Raw converters that I have used.

These use Filmic and AMaZE in 3.4.1.1...

Last edited by ChristianRock; 04-01-2021 at 06:22 AM.