Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2021, 02:00 PM   #226
Pentaxian

^ Nice images.

I still can't seem to grasp a lot of the modules in darktable. I can get some very usable ISO 12800 photos from my K-50 RAW files in RawTherapee & PDCU5 with very minimal ease, but I can't anything remotely good from darktable at that ISO. I really do wish that someone would take their time to make some Pentax specific presets that would make darktable easier to use, like I've done with the PP3 files for RawTherapee. I've seen & have gone through some d.styles online, but none of them make the higher ISO photos usable. It's more of how they look, versus how to control noise. I'm pretty sure that darktable is quite capable, but I do have a very hard time with it.

*Le sigh....*

03-31-2021, 03:02 PM   #227
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ Nice images.

I still can't seem to grasp a lot of the modules in darktable. I can get some very usable ISO 12800 photos from my K-50 RAW files in RawTherapee & PDCU5 with very minimal ease, but I can't anything remotely good from darktable at that ISO. I really do wish that someone would take their time to make some Pentax specific presets that would make darktable easier to use, like I've done with the PP3 files for RawTherapee. I've seen & have gone through some d.styles online, but none of them make the higher ISO photos usable. It's more of how they look, versus how to control noise. I'm pretty sure that darktable is quite capable, but I do have a very hard time with it.

*Le sigh....*
Have you used the "denoised (profiled)" module? I have been using some noise reduction profiles made for the K-S1 with good results. But my files were ISO 1600...

Now I'm processing some K-3 files but haven't had to use denoise yet.

Here is an image from the K-3. ISO 2500, no noise reduction.

I'm using a trick I learned here at the forum... setting the sharpness to Extra Sharpness and then setting the sharpness to -4 (no sharpness at all). According to other users, this causes no noise reduction to be "baked into the RAW file". And AMaZE then does a great job when demosaic'ing the image. My ISO 3200 files look just as good with no noise reduction.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 03-31-2021 at 03:15 PM.
03-31-2021, 03:13 PM   #228
Pentaxian

^ Yeah. I've used it, but it still seems to obliterate all fine detail. I've even tried modifying some module parameters after that, but it all ends up going down the drain. I think I just suck at it. Haha!
03-31-2021, 08:05 PM   #229
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ Yeah. I've used it, but it still seems to obliterate all fine detail. I've even tried modifying some module parameters after that, but it all ends up going down the drain. I think I just suck at it. Haha!
No, I think that, to be honest, I have just had better results from RawTherapee as well.

I read that the secret to darktable is to have multiple instances of the noise reduction running on top of each other (you can run as many instances of a module as you want), each at a lower setting that doesn't kill the details as much. But since I never go beyond ISO 3200 I haven't had to do that yet....

03-31-2021, 11:48 PM   #230
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always using the Profiled Denoise with the Chroma Only option enabled for my photos and it takes care of most of the ugly noise. I may use a touch of non-local means in an additional profiled denoise with a high ISO image above 3200.
04-01-2021, 02:30 AM   #231
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Profiled denoise has significantly been enhanced recently - I think in 3.4. It's not necessary to have multiple instances anymore in most cases, you can adjust color and value denoising separately in a single instance. I find the non-local means defaults for luminance too heavy-handled, the wavelet ones rather too light, but overall I seem to be able to get good results from it now, whereas I struggled earlier.
04-01-2021, 07:23 AM - 2 Likes   #232
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hello

The “new” way(s) of doing noise reduction in Darktable appeared in version 3.0 (24th December 2019).

Here it’s explained by one of the main developers (I think the main one):
and
Changes in noise reduction for darktable 2.7/3.0 - darktable - discuss.pixls.us
[the following discussion after the first explanatory post can (maybe) help to clarify further doubts].

Best regards,

04-01-2021, 07:28 AM   #233
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ddharriman Quote
Hello

The “new” way(s) of doing noise reduction in Darktable appeared in version 3.0 (24th December 2019).

Here it’s explained by one of the main developers (I think the main one):
Noise reduction with darktable 3.0 - YouTube
and
Changes in noise reduction for darktable 2.7/3.0 - darktable - discuss.pixls.us
[the following discussion after the first explanatory post can (maybe) help to clarify further doubts].

Best regards,
Thanks for posting this - I've been using Darktable a while now, and have been meaning to figure out NR a bit more. I'll give this a watch
04-01-2021, 09:06 AM   #234
Pentaxian

You are welcome.

Best regards,
04-27-2021, 11:13 PM   #235
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everybody should check the new version of darktable. (version 3.4.1) The program has improved a lot.
04-28-2021, 02:28 AM   #236
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure what your baseline is, but 3.4 released in Dec 2020, has seen some important fixes in 3.4.1 in early February. For me, 3.4 made the scene referred workflow (filmicRGB) interactively much more usable, because a lot of the CPU implementations in that flow now have a corresponding OpenCL version. It is much more responsive now with a halfway decent graphics card/engine.
06-08-2021, 02:57 PM - 3 Likes   #237
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a tip about using the latest DT which I am sure many people have worked out by now on their own.
I had been used to the ability of customising the module groups in the older DT. But in the new one you have to look around the various groups for the specific modules you use. For instance the Tone Curves is not in the same grouping as the base curves and exposure.
The trick is to open a previously unopened image and open all the modules you customarily use but set their values at a neutral setting. ie exposure 0 EV.
Now save your style.
Apply the style to newly opened images and all the modules you usually use are now in the left hand grouping.
06-08-2021, 03:58 PM   #238
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Data for Denoise (profiled) for the K-3 Mark III has now been included in release-3.5.0-2494-gdb7e87231 of darktable.
If you build your own version from the git master then you can get denoise support for your K-3 Mark III right now.

Cheers,
Terry
06-09-2021, 02:42 PM   #239
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Just a tip about using the latest DT which I am sure many people have worked out by now on their own.
I had been used to the ability of customising the module groups in the older DT. But in the new one you have to look around the various groups for the specific modules you use. For instance the Tone Curves is not in the same grouping as the base curves and exposure.
The trick is to open a previously unopened image and open all the modules you customarily use but set their values at a neutral setting. ie exposure 0 EV.
Now save your style.
Apply the style to newly opened images and all the modules you usually use are now in the left hand grouping.
Thanks for the tip!
06-18-2021, 01:33 AM   #240
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Thanks for the tip!
Naaa it doesn't keep working - for some reason the settings get corrupted.
The raw black/white point seems to be the culprit and the colours go astray at that point in the history stack.
Is there any way to customise the other module groups?