Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2018, 02:11 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DxO PhotoLab 2 ... ? I thought DxO had been out !

I've just received this via email:
Online Store - DxO

and I thought DxO had been going bankrupt. (according to this thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/...ankruptcy.html

Would this be a good buy? I already use Photoshop CS5 and wonder if that would be better?
Cheers!

10-24-2018, 02:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They restructured the business and are now solvent again apparently.

Whether or not their product is a good buy would depend on whether it does what you need it to do and whether you think the asking price is worth it.
10-24-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
They restructured the business and are now solvent again apparently.

Whether or not their product is a good buy would depend on whether it does what you need it to do and whether you think the asking price is worth it.
... and whether you have confidence in the re-structuring. Time will tell. Personally, I hope the re-structuring is viable and successful. The software products were and still are undoubtedly excellent...
10-24-2018, 02:47 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure of the timeline... but DXO the testing org and DXO the photo processing app - are no longer connected together. It is unclear to me which of the two was the dead weight or if there were other factors. I love DXO Photolab 1 - and I will most assuredly upgrade (again!). Those whining about Adobe should look at what I have had to outlay for DXO over the past few years.

10-24-2018, 03:15 PM   #5
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
It is unclear to me which of the two was the dead weight or if there were other factors.
The dead weight might have been their venture into hardware with the DxO One - a camera that plugged into an iPhone. It has now been dropped: https://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/dxo-one-discontinued/. But amidst a lot of rumour and speculation it's hard to find the true story.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I love DXO Photolab 1 - and I will most assuredly upgrade (again!). Those whining about Adobe should look at what I have had to outlay for DXO over the past few years.
Same for me. I've just shelled out $US69.99 for the upgrade for the PhotoLab 2 Elite edition.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Personally, I hope the re-structuring is viable and successful. The software products were and still are undoubtedly excellent...
My sentiments exactly. The U-point tech in PhotoLab is really good. I hope they integrate the Nik Collection into PhotoLab next - even though it will mean another payout!

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Would this be a good buy? I already use Photoshop CS5 and wonder if that would be better?
The best way to find out is to download PhotoLab 2 and give it a free 30 day trial. Download - DxO

Last edited by Des; 10-24-2018 at 03:32 PM.
10-24-2018, 06:49 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

and I thought DxO had been going bankrupt. (according to this thread: Would you purchase DXO software now after their bankruptcy? - PentaxForums.com
DxO has gone banckrupt, like DSLRs are dead, and like Pentax is doomed T.M.
10-24-2018, 07:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
DxO has gone banckrupt, like DSLRs are dead, and like Pentax is doomed T.M.
Yes, of course!

10-25-2018, 12:38 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

People are pretty susceptible to FUD.

Others (not from this forum) even take pleasure in the failure of perceived "enemies". You should have seen the glee about DxO's supposedly-imminent demise in the comment section over at DPReview at the time.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 10-25-2018 at 12:46 AM.
10-25-2018, 01:31 AM   #9

DxO recently solved it's financial problems.

PhotoLab 2 gets a few ameliorations... and a big one for us, Pentaxians : the support of the K1 II , plus the support of the couple K1 II + Sigma 35mm Art but not of the tandem K1 first generation and Sigma35 mm Art . DxO PhotoLab is real great for "hard" pictures such as High iso, lenses and perspective corrections ...
have a good day, frédo
10-25-2018, 03:41 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You may want to consider a very basic difference: DxO PhotoLab is a raw conversion software whereas Adobe Photoshop CS5 is a raster graphics editor that can do almost anything you may ever want to an image file.

Whether you actually need or at least want these depths of possibility (and, well, complexity) is something only you can explore and decide.

Personally, I have rarely felt the need or wish to do more to a file than I could do in Lightroom or PhotoLab.
11-02-2018, 12:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
You may want to consider a very basic difference: DxO PhotoLab is a raw conversion software whereas Adobe Photoshop CS5 is a raster graphics editor that can do almost anything you may ever want to an image file.

Whether you actually need or at least want these depths of possibility (and, well, complexity) is something only you can explore and decide.

Personally, I have rarely felt the need or wish to do more to a file than I could do in Lightroom or PhotoLab.
2nd this one. DxO Photolab isn't really a Photoshop replacement. But, if you can do what you need with it, it isn't bad. I work 99% of the time in DxO and the other 1% in other software (i.e. Affinity Photo, which is more like Photoshop or Photoshop CS6). By the way, CS6 is still a great software, and I don't think there was a huge difference from 5, so I wouldn't put urgency on an upgrade unless you are missing RAW file support.
11-04-2018, 08:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I've just received this via email:
Online Store - DxO

and I thought DxO had been going bankrupt. (according to this thread: Would you purchase DXO software now after their bankruptcy? - PentaxForums.com

Cheers!
I think DxO will be fine. They make great software at a good price. Even if they did go under, someone would buy the software and continue to develop it. It has potential to compete with LR and C1.
11-06-2018, 06:25 PM   #13
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fredo Quote
DxO recently solved it's financial problems.

PhotoLab 2 gets a few ameliorations... and a big one for us, Pentaxians : the support of the K1 II , plus the support of the couple K1 II + Sigma 35mm Art but not of the tandem K1 first generation and Sigma35 mm Art . DxO PhotoLab is real great for "hard" pictures such as High iso, lenses and perspective corrections ...
have a good day, frédo
Where did you read this? According to their website it only supports the K01, K30, K50 and K500 (whatever that is).

Is there a screenshot of the UI anywhere?
11-06-2018, 08:04 PM   #14
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
According to their website it only supports the K01, K30, K50 and K500 (whatever that is).
This is so bizarre I had to check the DxO website myself (Supported Cameras - DxO) to see whether it was a quirk of the search tool or something. And yes, you are right, these are indeed the only Pentax model cameras listed.

The only reliable way to check now seems to be from within the software itself. In PhotoLab, I click on the menu "DxO Optics Modules" | "Download additional DxO Optics Modules ..." and it brings up a box headed "DxO Module installer". Selecting "Pentax" from the "Brand" drop down box, it tells me that there are 25 cameras supported: 645D, 645Z, MX1 (a compact model), the mirrorless K01, and 21 K-model DSLRs - the whole set from the K10D to the K-1ii.

Selecting the camera body brings up a list of lens modules for that body. For the K-1 or K-1ii, most DA and DFA lenses are supported (there isn't a module for the new DFA 50 f1.4 yet, nor for the DA 55-300 f4.5-6.3 PLM), plus five FA lenses (the Limiteds plus the 35 f2 and 50 f1.4) and some third party lenses (19 Sigmas, 6 Tamrons, 2 Samyangs and one Irix).
QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
Is there a screenshot of the UI anywhere?
See this section of the online user guide: General interface

This tutorial by Jochen Kohl is a good introduction to the program: Workflow with DxO PhotoLab: from the camera to the export - DxO
(He mentions that he did a version in German too.)

Last edited by Des; 11-06-2018 at 08:59 PM.
11-07-2018, 02:23 AM   #15
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, that looks a lot better.