Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-28-2018, 08:20 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A Gimp trick, is this just a long way to do a simple adjustment?

I bumped into this while doing some editing. It seems to have different qualities to just changing contrast or saturation.
Take an image , duplicate it , color white to alpha and paste onto original.

The original whites seem to darken a little and the colours boost but don't seem to try and flood the channel.
Could be a nice tonal treatment in B&W
Can anyone point me to an article about the trick?
Same image one colour before and after, one b&w before and after.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
10-28-2018, 08:27 PM   #2
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
And ; (yes a little heavy handed here but look at the translucency)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
10-28-2018, 09:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In Gimp, setting alpha to white means you make all pixels in that layer opaque. Does this result in an overall darkening when you paste the duplicated image onto the original? This seems to be the case judging by your posted images. Perhaps studying here would be worthwhile:

Chapter*8.*Combining Images

Jack
10-28-2018, 09:56 PM   #4
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
In Gimp, setting alpha to white means you make all pixels in that layer opaque. Does this result in an overall darkening when you paste the duplicated image onto the original? This seems to be the case judging by your posted images. Perhaps studying here would be worthwhile:

Chapter*8.*Combining Images

Jack
Thanks for that link - it is going to take more than a quick skim to absorb it though.
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
In Gimp, setting alpha to white means you make all pixels in that layer opaque
Na what I did was color (white) to alpha in the color menu. And the result is a little darker but I wouldn't call it an overall darkening - more like a contrast boost with a bit of added saturation chucked in. I suspect it is something like (in 8 bit units) say a pixel at 70 60 50 becomes 20 10 0 with colour to alpha and because of the transparency the result becomes 90 70 50 when pasted. Does that make sense?

10-29-2018, 12:07 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ah, sorry, I misread the original post. This link provides some clues to the result you see, I think:

How to make a color transparent in Gimp | alvinalexander.com

Jack
10-29-2018, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #6

You can try changing the threshold from pure white to "near" white when converting to ALpha, so the high lights are not darkened.

10-29-2018, 02:02 AM   #7
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am using 2.10 and I think what you mean may be the opacity threshold. I pulled it back about 10% for the last image and still got a boost but much more subtle. This night shot is an archive one I had edited as best I could. applied this trick to it and just amazed at the boost - especially in the flowerbed.

Attached Images

10-29-2018, 02:03 AM   #8
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EdoNork Quote
You can try changing the threshold from pure white to "near" white when converting to ALpha, so the high lights are not darkened.
Does that mean you use this technique?