Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2019, 08:38 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Once you load the image, PDCU5 will already have it set to pixel shift. There are more options in the main menu under:

Image > Pixel Shift Resolution >
Camera Setting / Off / On (Motion Correction Off) / On (Motion Correction On)

The thing is that they require much less NR than regular images. If you apply one of the parameter files for lets say an ISO 6400 image, it's going to come out all mushed up with a lack of any detail. You'll kind of have to play with the NR settings yourself.

01-02-2019, 08:44 AM   #17
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great idea and thanks for the effort.
We've had some discussions on the K-1 II vs K-1 accelerator processing differences, and they agree with your findings also, which means we have to approach the RAW processing differently between the models. Look forward to your input on the Pixel Shift image profiles.
01-02-2019, 03:43 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On my Mac in PDCU5, there is no mention of pixel shift in any of the menus, nothing in the Help menu either... only EXIF data shows that pixel shift it is on...
Attached Images

01-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Hmmm...... Do you have the latest version?

Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Macintosh : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

I have the latest version on Windows, but I believe that the Mac version should have the same thing. I could be wrong though.

02-26-2019, 08:10 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It looks like PDCU5 has received a small update.

You can download the latest version for Windows or Mac.

If you're wondering, it's still laggy as always, but it does put out nice images if you can deal with the lag.
04-23-2019, 08:25 AM - 3 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've attached some simplified parameters to use.

The only NR setting is the Spurious color signal reduction. You will get a bit more grain as the ISO climbs, but the images still look outstanding. You can batch all the photos you want quickly & swiftly as long as they're within the ISO range shown for each file. Just download it & unzip it. The folders have files for different cameras. You'll see what I mean.

On another note, Ricoh recently updated PDCU5 to version 5.8.3. If you haven't got it yet, you can get the Windows version by clicking HERE or you can get the Mac version by clicking HERE.

For those wondering, it's still slow & buggy. Hahaha! But yeah! The colors man! The colors.......
Attached Files
File Type: zip PDCU5 Simple Parameters.zip (24.2 KB, 55 views)
04-26-2019, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just discovered this thread as I've started including PDCU as a first step in my work flow to leverage the strength of in Pentax core processing. Thank you for taking the time to develop these parameters. It will save lots of time for me.

04-26-2019, 07:47 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ You're welcome. Out of all the editors that I have used, PDCU5 has the best colors & everything else hands down. I also like that it has the same color profiles like Natural, Bright, Landscape, Portrait, & so forth & so on as the camera. My main gripe with PDCU5 is that it's super buggy & slow. It will freeze up my machine for a few seconds at times.

I shoot RAW on my K-50 & have the auto ISO set from 100 to 12800 when I'm too lazy or too rushed to manually set everything to take the photo. When I get home, I download the photos to a folder & then I open up PDCU5. I'll go to the folder, highlight all the photos, open up the laboratory, highlight all the photos, select one of those parameters (usually the natural one), & then I batch them all to a folder for viewing. That simple parameter works on all ISOs at the same time, saving me a ton of time. Yes. There will be more grain & color noise as the ISO starts to climb, but the image still looks far better than what the camera puts out & usually still looks better than what I get out of DxO or RawTherapee at the same ISO. If PDCU5 wasn't so slow or buggy, I'd probably use it exclusively.
04-26-2019, 08:23 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I just discovered this thread as I've started including PDCU as a first step in my work flow to leverage the strength of in Pentax core processing. Thank you for taking the time to develop these parameters. It will save lots of time for me.
Would you mind sharing your average workflow?

---------- Post added 26th Apr 2019 at 10:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
... If PDCU5 wasn't so slow or buggy, I'd probably use it exclusively.
I'd add that it needs keywording ability, but yeah, I agree... as a processor the output is quite good.
04-26-2019, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Would you mind sharing your average workflow?
It's changing as I learn about new tools to make it easier. When I first converted to digital from film with the K10D, I only processed from RAW since I was rarely happy with camera JPEGs. Now with the KP, I find that the JPEGs are often good enough, but not always. I like to have the option to process an uncompressed file if needed.

For now, my process is:
download files to my computer - I generally shoot RAW
delete crap and duplicates using Windows view of extra large icons
use PDCU to tweak remaining files using Pentax camera/PDCU related settings and now, Squirrel M's parameters. Also cull further during this step.
Save as JPEGs for files that are completed.
Save as tiffs for files needing further processing (ACDSee for me); dodging, burning, cloning, color manipulation, etc. Save as JPEG when done
Tag processed files using Windows details pane
Archive RAW files

FWIW, I no longer crop until needed for a specific use.
05-05-2019, 10:28 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Well wouldn't you know, after a couple days of experimentation, the software crapped out on me. For no reason, when I try to start it up, the splash screen pops up then nothing more. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling to discover that the "update" needs the dead corpse of the previous version to install.

Now what?
05-06-2019, 05:08 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Well wouldn't you know, after a couple days of experimentation, the software crapped out on me. For no reason, when I try to start it up, the splash screen pops up then nothing more. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling to discover that the "update" needs the dead corpse of the previous version to install.

Now what?
As long as there is a drive on the computer named S-SW140 you can download and install the new software. The media can be a thumb drive, sd card, cd, etc. You won't do anything else with the drive, it's not part of the download process. It just has to be there. Apparently it tricks the installation process into thinking you have a previously installed version.

FWIW, other names for the dummy drive work too, but I last used S-SW140 and it worked.
05-06-2019, 07:17 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
..., other names for the dummy drive work too, but I last used S-SW140 and it worked.
I did manage to uninstall the previous version and reinstall thanks to this suggestion, however the new installation shows the same behavior... splash screen comes up, then vanishes, then nothing else. I'm open to suggestions!
05-06-2019, 07:26 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Try going to:

C:\Users\whateveryourusernameis\AppData\Local

It's a hidden system folder. Delete the Pentax folder. Next, go to the Temp folder & delete all the items inside of that folder. There might be thousand of flies there that will take a few minutes & some "admin confirmations" and/or some "files to skip" to delete.

See if it'll run after that. This program is very buggy, but the results are quite impressive.
05-06-2019, 10:30 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Try going to:

C:\Users\whateveryourusernameis\AppData\Local

It's a hidden system folder. Delete the Pentax folder. Next, go to the Temp folder & delete all the items inside of that folder. There might be thousand of flies there that will take a few minutes & some "admin confirmations" and/or some "files to skip" to delete.

See if it'll run after that. This program is very buggy, but the results are quite impressive.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, no dice.