Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
05-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Do'h! I can't really think of anything else.

I really wish that Ricoh would do something about all the bugs in this software. The only reason I put up with it is that the output is quite impressive. If not, I wouldn't even bother with it.

05-06-2019, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, no dice.
I hope I don't offend, but did you shut down and restart your computer. I've found that when a program gets hinky, shut down/start helps. I've gone as far as uninstalling the program, shut down/start, reinstall, shut down/start.

In cases like this, simple restart is not often enough. I shut it down, wait a minute or more, then restart.
05-07-2019, 08:44 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No offense taken, rogerstg! I did that many times, and still no luck.

I've pretty much given up and have been working with RawTherapee instead.
05-21-2019, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well wouldn't you know, after a couple days of experimentation, the software crapped out on me. For no reason, when I try to start it up, the splash screen pops up then nothing more. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling to discover that the "update" needs the dead corpse of the previous version to install.

Now what?
I suddenly am getting a similar result. Seems to start normally, then switches to full sized photo view pane with no other panes or file menus visible. Tried many shortcut buttons (F1 help still works), uninstalling, deleting user pentax folder, temp files, installing older version, nothing works.

At least it still works on my desktop.

Last edited by rogerstg; 05-21-2019 at 01:04 PM.
05-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I suddenly am getting a similar result. Seems to start normally, then switches to full sized photo view pane with no other panes or file menus visible. Tried many shortcut buttons (F1 help still works), uninstalling, deleting user pentax folder, temp files, installing older version, nothing works.

At least is still works on my desktop.
I never got mine to work again, which ticks me off major since this is the only way I had to mess w/PS RAW files. Grrrr.
06-14-2019, 08:23 AM   #36
Pentaxian

I never got mine to work again, which ticks me off major since this is the only way I had to mess w/PS RAW files. Grrrr.
I'm sure that not a single person who will read this will care, yet I am compelled to update this statement. After Win10 updated a couple times, I decided to try and reinstall PDCU5 again, and lo/behold, it now works just fine.
06-14-2019, 09:29 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Sounds good.

06-16-2019, 11:54 PM - 1 Like   #38
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm sure that not a single person who will read this will care, yet I am compelled to update this statement. After Win10 updated a couple times, I decided to try and reinstall PDCU5 again, and lo/behold, it now works just fine.
A similar thing happened a few versions back on my mac. Launching DCU didn't get past the splash screen. Restarting the app again and again would sometimes get it to run. That issue only went away after a software update, but I don't remember whether it was the OS or the app version.
09-16-2020, 10:12 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
UPDATE!

I've attached some slightly revised parameters. The zip file has multiple settings for multiples cameras. Just get the one(s) you need & ignore the rest. If you're a K-1 owner, pay attention to which file you get. The K-1 & K-II parameter files have slightly different NR values & look funky when using K-1 parameters on K-1II & vice versa. Mind you that these settings are just for regular RAW files, not really for pixel shift. You can use them, but the pixel shift files seem to require far less Spurious color signal reduction (SCSR) than the regular files. You'll have to figure out how much SCSR your pixel shift RAW file needs on your own.

I've finally figured out how to avoid PDCU5 from clipping colors on purpose. I would always wonder why PDCU5 would clip bright colors & for the longest, couldn't figure it out. There's a section called Highlight Adjustment that handles that & I always had it turned off 'cause I thought that did something else. It basically has to be turned on & you have to move all the sliders to 0 to avoid PDCU5 clipping colors. If you need to clip some bright colors manually, then you start moving the sliders to the right until you feel that it's good to go. As for now, the Highlight Adjustment is turned on & all the sliders are set to 0. It's up to you to figure out how much you want to clip if you need to. So yeah. You'll now get 100% color from the get go.

OK! Have fun!
Attached Files
File Type: zip PDCU5 Simple Parameters - 2020-09-16.zip (46.1 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by The Squirrel Mafia; 09-16-2020 at 11:56 AM.
04-27-2021, 10:01 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
PDCU5 5.9.2 just came out for Windows & Mac OS.