Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 84 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2018, 06:52 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Flickr is going back to limited free accounts

QuoteQuote:
*Free members with more than 1,000 photos or videos uploaded to Flickr have until Tuesday, January 8, 2019, to upgrade to Pro or download content over the limit. After January 8, 2019, members over the limit will no longer be able to upload new photos to Flickr. After February 5, 2019, free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos or videos will have content actively deleted -- starting from oldest to newest date uploaded -- to meet the new limit.
Pro members will get a few new benefits.

QuoteQuote:
ncreased Exposure
All Pro members as of January 1, 2019 are eligible for priority exposure in the next iteration of Explore. Coming early 2019.
QuoteQuote:
New 5K Photo Display Option
Look your best. Your images are beautifully optimized for any screen, from smartphone to jumbotron. Pro images display at resolutions up to 5K. Coming early 2019.
QuoteQuote:
10 Minute Videos
More time to tell your story. Play back videos for up to 10 minutes, increased from 3. Coming early 2019.
QuoteQuote:
Premier Support
Skip the line. Flickr Pros now receive priority assistance from our new world-class support team. Available now.

More Partner Discounts
Save on photography essentials. Discounts on Creative Cloud from Adobe, 50% off a custom portfolio site on SmugMug, gear from Peak Design, and many more. Coming November.

Advanced Stats on Mobile
Stats in your pocket. All the photo stats you know and love, available in-app. Coming November.

11-01-2018, 07:00 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the heads up. A 501(c)3 that I volunteer for has 10s of thousands of photos up for the families and children and I honestly don't know if they have a free or paid account. I'm emailing the director today to make certain that those photos are not lost!

The director just upgraded to Pro due to the heads up - Thanks again!

Last edited by Docrwm; 11-01-2018 at 07:24 AM.
11-01-2018, 07:24 AM   #3

Meanwhile Photobucket is adding a "discreet" Proudly Hosted by Photobucket watermark to 3rd party hosting photos on free accounts.
11-01-2018, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Pro members will get a few new benefits.
When and where did they post this. I have received no notifications from Flickr.

11-01-2018, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
When and where did they post this. I have received no notifications from Flickr.
It's the banner headline when you go to their website. The entire 1st page is about the advantages of Pro and scrolling down how Free is no longer unlimited.

Also, if you click through from that page you can get 30% off for the first year.
"Ready for Pro? New Pros receive 30% off their first year. Discounted price available until Nov 30."
11-01-2018, 07:28 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Further explanation of why they are limiting free accounts again, and why they chose the 1000 number (they appear to have put some thought into this):

Why we?re changing Flickr free accounts | Flickr Blog
11-01-2018, 07:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Further explanation of why they are limiting free accounts again, and why they chose the 1000 number (they appear to have put some thought into this):

I will say that they are going about this FAR better than Photobucket did when they got rid of their free storage option. Their marketing speak explanation is interesting but I do hand it to them that they are learning from the extreme anger that Photobucket engendered by their ill-conceived decisions along the same lines.

11-01-2018, 07:34 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote

Unlike Photobucket who basically said "If we can get enough suckers to pay $40 a month, we can retire in couple of years."

You can tell who's trying to provide service, and who's just in it for the money.
11-01-2018, 07:36 AM   #9

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Seems like a smart move if you want it to be less of a social media site and more of a photographer centric site and keep up enough cash flow. Could be they were losing out too much with the "free" social media model to Facebook/Instagram.
11-01-2018, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
It's the banner headline when you go to their website. The entire 1st page is about the advantages of Pro and scrolling down how Free is no longer unlimited.

Also, if you click through from that page you can get 30% off for the first year.
"Ready for Pro? New Pros receive 30% off their first year. Discounted price available until Nov 30."
Thanks.

I am a former pro member. I dumped it because of lack of support. Had an issue with notifications not working and they pretty much refused to help me or explain the issue. That's when I said why am I paying for this. Around the same time SmugMug came into the picture. I had several discussions with their support and sales people about SmugMug's products and application and was very pleased with them. Now that it looks like they are going to provide support for Flickr I will probably reestablish my pro account.

For those thinking of dumping Flickr because of this. I would recommend that you reconsider as my dealings with SmugMug make the support alone worth the cost of a pro membership. As I stated above lack of support was why I dumped my pro account.
11-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

So basically hook us then you gotta PAY so some ahem can make his Billion bucks, usual nonsense, GREED
11-01-2018, 08:29 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnkrumm Quote
Could be they were losing out too much with the "free" social media model to Facebook/Instagram.
They lost that years ago. Flickr traffic is a tiny fraction of Instagram's traffic, but Instagram doesn't say exactly how much traffic they (or you) get...
11-01-2018, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
So basically hook us then you gotta PAY so some ahem can make his Billion bucks, usual nonsense, GREED
More like going from a loss leader for Yahoo to having to pay for itself and even make a profit.
11-01-2018, 08:37 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

nothing in life is truly free
11-01-2018, 09:26 AM - 2 Likes   #15
Pentaxian

I currently have 1,164 photos online on a free account. Looks like I'm exactly their target demographic for "Pay up!"

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-01-2018 at 09:55 AM.