Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 84 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2018, 09:30 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
So basically hook us then you gotta PAY so some ahem can make his Billion bucks, usual nonsense, GREED
Exactly!

11-01-2018, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I currently have 1,164 photos online on a free account. Looks like I'm exactly their target demographic for "Pay up!"
What, Canadians?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-01-2018 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Edited quoted post
11-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #18
Pentaxian

884 photos and probably a very slow rate of accumulation. I'm sitting on what I've got.
11-01-2018, 10:21 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They used to limit free accounts to 200 photos which is why I originally got a pro account. I have a lot of photos there so I guess I'll keep paying. Not unreasonable and everyone needs to make a buck somehow.

11-01-2018, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
What, Canadians?
Heheh.

I think they figure people on free accounts with near or more than 1k photos are people who are actively engaged in the community and are the most likely to accept being pushed into paying. They may even be right but that doesn't make it any more fun. In fact, the moderators edited out a profane expression of displeasure from my previous post...
11-01-2018, 10:34 AM - 5 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
So basically hook us then you gotta PAY so some ahem can make his Billion bucks, usual nonsense, GREED
How do you propose they fund their operations? You're complaining about paying. If they show advertising, people complain about having to view ads. If they sell our data to other companies, people complain about privacy. If they run on a tiny budget, we get slow servers and unfixed bugs.

Flickr is a for-profit company rather than a charity financed by donations and staffed by unpaid volunteers. Even if the corporate owners make zero profit, they have to pay software developers and other staff. The server farm needs to be paid for, whether Flickr keeps their own hardware or rents cloud space. The local utility turns off the power if bills aren't paid. Property taxes. Etc.

Last edited by DeadJohn; 11-01-2018 at 10:46 AM.
11-01-2018, 10:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I currently have 1,164 photos online on a free account. Looks like I'm exactly their target demographic for "Pay up!"
I'm at 1190 lol, same boat.

Flickr is pretty trash anyway to be honest. I only upload there because their embedding function is nice for sharing. I'll just switch to 500px full time, better quality content anyway.

I might clean out some old content to keep it under 1k, or close the account altogether, not sure yet.

I keep thinking if joining 1x.com is worth it, has anyone tried? They advertise their feedback from pros system, is it comprehensive, and useful? The monthly premium is more expensive than 500px pro, but with feedback, and better (curated selection of photos) it might be a better platform.

11-01-2018, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have had a paid account on Flickr for a number of years (wish they wouldn't call it pro !). I am firmly of the opinion that nothing is free in this life, look at what Facebook does with your data to give you a "free" service.
11-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #24
Pentaxian

At $35 per year, it might make sense to/for me. But that's only for the first year. At $50, they had better offer me something much better. Now I also have to consider alternatives like 500px or even Smug Mug's own service offerings...
11-01-2018, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
How do you propose they fund their operations? You're complaining about paying. If they show advertising, people complain about having to view ads. If they sell our data to other companies, people complain about privacy. If they run on a tiny budget, we get slow servers and unfixed bugs.

Flickr is a for-profit company rather than a charity financed by donations and staffed by unpaid volunteers. Even if the corporate owners make zero profit, they have to pay software developers and other staff. The server farm needs to be paid for, whether Flickr keeps their own hardware or rents cloud space. The local utility turns off the power if bills aren't paid. Property taxes. Etc.
Or owned and operated by a government. Free Enterprise is the engine that drives innovation but it doesn't happen for free.
11-01-2018, 11:41 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

2363 photos... hummmm. I think I may need to upgrade. Sigh. I don't need it but I guess I will upgrade 'cause it is easy to use and useful.
11-01-2018, 11:50 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Unlike Photobucket who basically said "If we can get enough suckers to pay $40 a month, we can retire in couple of years."

You can tell who's trying to provide service, and who's just in it for the money.
Really? Photobucket never said they would delete or deleted content from free accounts. They never restricted uploads to free accounts either.

All they did was break the links for 3rd party hosting which was easily remedied with browser add-ons.

A change of management restored 3rd party hosting and reduced the prices by over 90%. All you had to do was sit tight and change nothing except install a browser ad on.

If you have a free flickr account with over 1000 images you have to either download your files or upgrade by the deadline or lose your files.
11-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I'm at 1190 lol, same boat.

Flickr is pretty trash anyway to be honest. I only upload there because their embedding function is nice for sharing. I'll just switch to 500px full time, better quality content anyway.

I might clean out some old content to keep it under 1k, or close the account altogether, not sure yet.

I keep thinking if joining 1x.com is worth it, has anyone tried? They advertise their feedback from pros system, is it comprehensive, and useful? The monthly premium is more expensive than 500px pro, but with feedback, and better (curated selection of photos) it might be a better platform.

You can keep 500Px. It would be the last of the photo sharing sites I would recommend. They just keep taking away functionality. I looked at them when SmugMug bought Flickr and they lost. There are a couple of accounts that keep liking the last photo I posted there every week.
11-01-2018, 11:56 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The notice came up full page for me. I am not happy with the price, but feel that the change was inevitable. After all, Yahoo was not making money with the existing business model and a change was needed.

I was intrigued at the promise of priority exposure on Explore. Amazing that a few dollars might make my photos more interesting! Now my hope is that the public transit and train folk all have free accounts.*

Steve

* There are several enthusiast subjects that are regularly included in explore, e.g. random photos of public transit and utility vehicles, trains, airliner take-off/landing, fashion dolls, game captures, and Legos. The train and buses seem to be particularly well networked and rise on basis of views alone. Encoded spy messages? Viewbots?

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-01-2018 at 12:08 PM.
11-01-2018, 12:01 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
You can keep 500Px. It would be the last of the photo sharing sites I would recommend. They just keep taking away functionality. I looked at them when SmugMug bought Flickr and they lost. There are a couple of accounts that keep liking the last photo I posted there every week.
Works for me, all I need is a big pool of good quality photos to look at, and a good platform to share images on. Their Discover engine already learned my preferences and suggests very nice new photographers to follow, the ones I already follow put out amazing and inspirational content.

Limited uploads (on a free account) might be a deal breaker for some, but I personally only upload photos that I really like there making it my personal portfolio of sorts, snapshots all went to flickr, and I guess in future they might just go to facebook.

I'm actually curious about their new-ish connection to Getty. Might want to try the licensing feature.

---------- Post added 11-01-18 at 12:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The notice came up full page for me. I am not happy with the price, but feel that the change was inevitable. After all, Yahoo was not making money with the existing business model and a change was needed.

I was intrigued at the promise of priority exposure on Explore. Amazing that a few dollars might make my photos more interesting! Now my hope is that the public transit and train folk all have free accounts.*

Steve

* There are several enthusiast subjects that are regularly included in explore, e.g. random photos of public transit and utility vehicles, trains, airliner take-off/landing, fashion dolls, game extracts, and Legos. The train and buses seem to be particularly well networked and rise on basis of views alone. Encoded spy messages? Viewbots?
Still not sure what gets picked on explore to be honest)