Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2018, 12:09 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Thanks for the heads up. I dont have many photos on there. Usually i just add pictures so i can post on here.

11-01-2018, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frankly, now that I think about it, I can understand freezing free accounts that are over 1k photos from uploading new content. But to announce that they will actively delete photos from accounts, well, that's a little over the line...
11-01-2018, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I'm actually curious about their new-ish connection to Getty. Might want to try the licensing feature.
Flickr has partnered with Getty for years. I have been approached several times, but the license provisions did not look that good to me, so I passed on opening my account for general exposure to their clients.

Steve
11-01-2018, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I missed that part of the announcement

here it is:

*Free members with more than 1,000 photos or videos uploaded to Flickr have until Tuesday, January 8, 2019, to upgrade to Pro or download content over the limit. After January 8, 2019, members over the limit will no longer be able to upload new photos to Flickr. After February 5, 2019, free accounts that contain over 1,000 photos or videos will have content actively deleted -- starting from oldest to newest date uploaded -- to meet the new limit.

well, I've got over 8,000 photos on it now

decisions, decisions

11-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Flickr has partnered with Getty for years. I have been approached several times, but the license provisions did not look that good to me, so I passed on opening my account for general exposure to their clients.

Steve
Didn't know, I guess you need to be consistently Explored to get reached out to?
11-01-2018, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
But to announce that they will actively delete photos from accounts, well, that's a little over the line...
In the pre-infinite storage days, the pattern was first-in, last-out with the stale stuff simply disappearing from view but remaining in the database. This site is full of dead photo links dating back to those days. I would expect that this will likely adversely affect people who use Flickr as a form of backup or as an extensive personal photo album, but otherwise it is hard to know.

Steve
11-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Didn't know, I guess you need to be consistently Explored to get reached out to?
The reached out to me shortly after my first Explored image, so there might be a connection.

Steve

11-01-2018, 12:30 PM   #38
Veteran Member

The reached out to me shortly after my first Explored image, so there might be a connection.

Steve
Hmm, I had few photos explored (interestingly, from my early days with a mft body, and contrasty b&w street photos), but was never approached. My landscape work doesn't see a lot of success there, I get much more exposure on 500px these days.
11-01-2018, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I was intrigued at the promise of priority exposure on Explore. Amazing that a few dollars might make my photos more interesting! Now my hope is that the public transit and train folk all have free accounts.*
YouPic did the same thing when they introduced paid accounts. As far as I can tell the only way to get an "Inspiration" photo is to be a "Premium" member, and then you basically get one a month. And a "Premium" membership is more than twice as much as a Flickr "Pro" account. For $60/yr you are an "Enthusiast", you get access to courses, unlimited "Stories", and advanced search...
11-01-2018, 12:38 PM   #40
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been waiting for this to happen...

I have nearly 16k photos on flickr and have always thought that if they were to offer unlimited storage for a paid/pro account, I'd buy in...
11-01-2018, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm approaching the 1,000 mark so I took advantage of the discount offer for the first year. After what Photobucket did I thought the flickr approach was more reasonable. Also started on a new photobook using their discount offer for Blurb, but that software is so clunky - I feel I'm fighting it the whole time. Every time I find a fairly decent photobook provider it goes belly up and I have to look for something else.
11-01-2018, 01:38 PM - 1 Like   #42
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I've been waiting for this to happen...

I have nearly 16k photos on flickr and have always thought that if they were to offer unlimited storage for a paid/pro account, I'd buy in...
of course nothing is guaranteed to last:

" By purchasing Flickr Pro, you will be charged the then-current rate on a yearly auto-renew basis until you cancel. If the price changes, we’ll notify you beforehand. You agree to the Flickr Terms & Conditions of Use and acknowledge that this service is offered by Flickr, Inc. under US law in US dollars. "

but I will sign up and see what happens

[ be sure to use this link, it has the discounted price noted ]

https://www.flickr.com/lookingahead/
11-01-2018, 02:39 PM   #43
Pentaxian

5615. Damn.

I use it mostly to share photos with family and friends, and for uploads to PF. I guess I could just delete most of the old ones to get under 1000.
11-01-2018, 03:07 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's not as though they are asking an exorbitant amount for what is a really useful service, the "it's free" legacy from earlier days must be a pain to many internet businesses.
11-01-2018, 03:32 PM   #45
Pentaxian

11,989 photos.

Today I say goodbye to flickr. I'll buy a hard disk external. Thank you flickr.