Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 84 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2018, 11:47 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
To be honest, I was not sure how many photos I have on Flickr or my total storage use, so I checked. I have been a member since 2008 and have 1,750 photos in my photostream occupying 2.45GB storage space. That is an average of 175 photos per year, obviously not a power user.

Steve
You obviously aren't retired.

I've been on since 2016, didn't really use it for the first year, and have 3,062 images. I've really only been using it for a little over a year. You need to get out and shoot more.

11-02-2018, 11:54 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
but that they're requiring deletion of photos - either voluntarily, or involuntarily - if you don't upgrade.

That's got the potential to wreak some havoc at sites like this one
Agree. That said, I'll go ahead and pony up. I have about 3500 photos, and I'm far too lazy to cull through them. I use Flickr only for hosting/sharing - I don't store originals there.
11-02-2018, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I use Flickr only for hosting/sharing - I don't store originals there.
They convert everything to JPEG, so it's not really possible to store originals unless you're a JPEG only shooter...
11-02-2018, 12:19 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
They convert everything to JPEG, so it's not really possible to store originals unless you're a JPEG only shooter...
I guess what I meant was that I only upload downscaled edits to Flickr, usually no more than 1250 px wide. The originals (RAW or jpeg) stay offline.

11-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Yahoo/Flickr's legal stance was that the account was non-transferrable and was terminated upon notification of the owner's death. If no one informed them of the death, then a paid account would revert to a free account when the subscription ran out. SmugMug seems to be a little hazier (...)
I hope they clear that up, and I wish that it were possible to "freeze" the account of a deceased, so that upon payment of a lump sum by the estate - maybe the equivalent of a few years of normal service? - the account would remain accessible in read-only format (ie without the possibility of uploading new content) and with someone from the estate being forwarded messages sent to the account.

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I use Flickr only for hosting/sharing - I don't store originals there.
Same here. I would definitely upgrade to Pro if I had the possibility to "attach" a file that would be downloadable only by me to each uploaded jpg. I would call this feature "Private Original". That way I could virtually store the original unedited file in the same place as the publicly accessible edited one and all of a sudden, it would become a lot more attractive to have a Pro account...
11-02-2018, 05:49 PM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
1300 photos for me. I'm not upgrading, anyone have any suggestions where should I go next? It's sad because just the other day I was talking about how awesome flickr was
11-02-2018, 06:34 PM   #82
Veteran Member

The 501(c)3 that I do events for has about 750 photos per event stored and has 35+ events on their Flickr account. Going Pro was a no brainer when I brought it to the attention of the director. Thanks again for the heads up!

11-02-2018, 09:27 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
1300 photos for me. I'm not upgrading, anyone have any suggestions where should I go next? It's sad because just the other day I was talking about how awesome flickr was
I'm looking into other options too. It's good in a way; it's making me think about what I really want, going forward.
11-02-2018, 11:49 PM - 1 Like   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
If you think it's awesome, why don't you pay for it?
11-03-2018, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #85
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
If you think it's awesome, why don't you pay for it?
I'm with you Jonathan, you're not being a sales rep for Flickr, you're pointing out that in a fair world, people and companies get remunerated for the work and investment they put in. My wife torrents like crazy through a VPN, but I'll pay on Google Movies or Netflix or whatever … it hurts us financially, but not paying the content creators because it's unlikely you'll get caught just doesn't sit with me.

Last edited by clackers; 11-03-2018 at 12:58 AM.
11-03-2018, 02:45 AM - 1 Like   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's a reason why there aren't many (any?) services out there offering free, high quality image hosting sites. The cost of running such an operation has to be fairly high and I doubt that the amount of money that is made from an advertisement or two on the page is enough to cover the cost.

I was glad to use Flickr for free while it lasted, but I won't grumble too much paying for it now, either.
11-03-2018, 06:06 AM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I upgraded. I thought about trimming down to the cap level but I like the service and want it to survive.
11-03-2018, 06:30 AM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by babywriter Quote
I'm looking into other options too. It's good in a way; it's making me think about what I really want, going forward.

I just did that year ago and ended up on flickr. But who knows, maybe you'll have different needs. Photobucket has free accounts again. They suck big time, but if you can't afford 4 bucks s month, they might be what you want.
11-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #89

Photobucket only downsizes the output of the file. You can still download the image unchanged from when it was uploaded. Most forums limit the size of images you can post or use a filter to downsize them to their limits.

I just need a photo host for posting on forums. I don't care about the social media or commercial aspects.

Use the tools and resources that you like and suit you best. That's why so many of us are Pentaxians,
11-03-2018, 10:41 AM   #90
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I wonder how they will handle people's deaths? Does my estate have to pay in perpetuity to keep my photos online? There are probably already many old accounts whose holders have passed and which will be more or less destroyed when they start actively deleting photos...
I have been thinking the same thing.

Our dear friend Rupert (James Williams) who passed away past year has just under 3,000 images in his account.

I suppose that Smug Mug will eviscerate his collection and reduce it to a shadow of its former self.

I really think that Smug Mug should grandfather existing members, rather than just cast them aside like they were never part of the community.