Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2018, 03:57 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flickr has announced that it will not delete images from its Creative Commons or Flickr Commons collections and is working hand-in-hand with institutions and non-profits to "keep these photos safe and available for the world to view and enjoy."

11-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can't say I like it, but on further thought I don't really need more than 1000 photos.
Its flattering to think that photo link on forums going back a few years gets looked at, but I really doubt it or that occasional traffic is not worth me paying for it.

Doing a backup of my Flickr photos and moving to somewhere else is too much work to be work it too.
11-08-2018, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #138
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Where am I going to shop for bell bottom pants and paisley shirts then. At least that's what they were selling last time I was there.
Try the local Good Will Store! I'm sure they have a Retro section! You might even find a nice old Pentax lens at the bottom of the box.
11-08-2018, 09:30 AM   #139
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Try the local Good Will Store! I'm sure they have a Retro section! You might even find a nice old Pentax lens at the bottom of the box.
I went though a very deep box at pawn shop once, hundreds of lenses, not one Pentax. But I guess if you're in the mood for a "I might be wasting my time" bargain hunt, it might be a good use of a half hour.

11-08-2018, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bit the bullet and turned PRO?

I feel so much better now that I'm not free loading off all the generous Pros who have subsidized my posting to Flickr all these years. The discount was pretty good and Flickr is in my opinion the best photo sharing site on the internet. I honestly don't see what I have gained other than not having to curate my account periodically which could get to be a total pain just like it was prior to the expanded free accounts.
11-08-2018, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #141
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I went though a very deep box at pawn shop once, hundreds of lenses, not one Pentax.
That’s because Pentax lenses are the best, and rarely get cast aside.
11-08-2018, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
That’s because Pentax lenses are the best, and rarely get cast aside.
And a lot of mirrorless shooters are finding that old Pentax glass is a) far better and b) far cheaper than the plastic stuff they can buy today. I can't tell you how many YouTube videos by mirrorless shooters are praising their Takumar glass.

11-22-2018, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Flickr has announced that it will not delete images from its Creative Commons or Flickr Commons collections and is working hand-in-hand with institutions and non-profits to "keep these photos safe and available for the world to view and enjoy."
They won't delete CC-licensed images that were uploaded before November 1st 2018. Still that's good news. It means that the vast majority of my photos were safe even if I hadn't upgraded, which I just did.

I toyed with the idea of opening a second free account once Flickr login is no longer tied to Yahoo addresses, but I'll give them one year to sort things out. I'm still worried about what happens to my images if my subscription lapses for whatever reason (including death).

I'm not thrilled about this whole episode, but we'll see how I feel in one year...
12-10-2018, 07:48 AM   #144
Veteran Member

I don't mind paying, eventually, but what I really don't like is that thousands of pictures will just vanish. There should be a granddad policy here.
12-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 1984 Quote
I don't mind paying, eventually, but what I really don't like is that thousands of pictures will just vanish. There should be a granddad policy here.
Flickr was never meant to be "free" cloud storage but was meant to display "some" of your images. You need to recover your images on Flickr before the deadline.
12-10-2018, 03:14 PM   #146
Veteran Member

Flickr was never meant to be "free" cloud storage but was meant to display "some" of your images. You need to recover your images on Flickr before the deadline.
There is a truckload of accounts on Flickr that belongs to deceased photographers (R.I.P), one of which I'm following and who passed away a few months ago : ( I've sent an inquiry about this to Flickr about a month ago.

Last edited by Helios 1984; 12-10-2018 at 04:15 PM.
12-10-2018, 04:59 PM   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 1984 Quote
There is a truckload of accounts on Flickr that belongs to deceased photographers (R.I.P), one of which I'm following and who passed away a few months ago : ( I've sent an inquiry about this to Flickr about a month ago.
And what did Flickr reply? The person's account will be trimmed to 1,000 images when ever the transition occurs and you will still be able to follow this person, the person is deceased and no further images will be posted. I don't understand your concern. What will probably happen is when the transition occurs the account holder will have to respond concerning a new password or will probably be deleted when there is no response.
12-11-2018, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #148
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As far as the deceased person goes, it probably isn't a big deal to them. It probably isn't huge to their relatives either, as they either have copies of images or they have the option of downloading them (assuming they know the account exists).

The only negative thing is places like this Forum where photos are displayed in lens clubs and a variety of threads. I can certainly foresee a lot more dead links to images when you open the beginning of a thread like "The DA 15 limited Controls My Mind."
12-11-2018, 08:56 AM   #149

Guess what happened when Flickr start with the one terabyte free accounts. Some credit this feature and the subsequent change of user base as Flickr's downfall.
12-11-2018, 11:30 AM   #150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Guess what happened when Flickr start with the one terabyte free accounts. Some credit this feature and the subsequent change of user base as Flickr's downfall.
"Some Credit" is this like the way news media use "Some Say" when they don't want to own the statement?

Downfall??? I haven't really noticed a downfall of Flickr, there have been changes yes but a noticeable downfall?