Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2018, 07:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Adobe Camera Raw

I have Photoshop Elements version 7.0 installed on my PC. I also have Adobe Camera Raw version 4.5. I know that this is an old version, but it suits my purposes.

I have had a Pentax K10d for years. Camera Raw 4.5 recognizes the PEF files from that camera.

I just got a used K5. Elements won't open the PEF file from the K5. According to Adobe's website, I need at least Camera Raw 6.3 to support the K5.

In the past, when I have downloaded things from Adobe, I found that they did not maintain backward compatibility with all their software. In other words, the newest versions of Camera Raw don't work with older versions of Photoshop or Elements.

The only downloads I can find for CR are for the latest version, which I believe is version 11. I am reluctant to download it because, if it does not work with Elements 7, it may overwrite CR 4.5 and I won't be able to read the K10d PEF's I have.

My question is: will the latest version of CR work with my old version of Elements? Is there anywhere that I can d/l CR version 6.3?

Or should I just shoot DNG files out of the camera?

11-10-2018, 07:25 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
Or should I just shoot DNG files out of the camera?
There's no reason not to shoot in DNG, IMO. Adobe also offers a free DNG converter which I believe you can use to convert your PEF's.

However, the simplest solution here would be for you to upgrade to the latest version of Elements (or get last year's version). It's not expensive and will let you benefit from the updated editing tools in addition to better RAW compatibility.

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
In the past, when I have downloaded things from Adobe, I found that they did not maintain backward compatibility with all their software.
This is intentional given Adobe's business model. They will not let you download a version of ACR that's newer than the cutoff for the product you currently own. They want you to keep upgrading to the latest versions. If you pay the $9/month for Photoshop CC, for example, you're guaranteed to always have the latest updates for everything. This also includes a much more powerful version of ACR than what is included with Elements.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #3

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows
Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Macintosh

Look up the minimum release of Camera Raw for your camera:
Cameras supported by Camera Raw

K-5 = 6.3 (as you noted above)

Look up the highest release of Camera Raw supported by your software. If the above Camera Raw version is lower or equal to this than you are in luck. If not update your software. Or use DNG converter.
Camera Raw plug-in and Adobe application compatibility

The highest release of Camera Raw supported by Photoshop Elements 7 is v5.6 so you are out of luck. You would need to upgrade to at lease PE 9 which supports up to Camera Raw 6.5.
11-11-2018, 10:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. It looks like Elements 7 is only compatible with CR 5.6, so I'm out of luck.

For the time being, I'll just shoot DNG out of the camera. I tried one shot in DNG and Elements opened it just fine.