Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2018, 12:22 PM   #1

Epson 3880 head striking paper

As I previously learned, changing the platen gap on the printer to wide has eliminated the head striking the paper on both plain and glossy paper for some time.

Since I had the matte black ink loaded, I printed a run of black text on plain paper before returning the gloss black. However, now the gap has to be set to widest for Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper to stop the noise. I made a call and found that the Epson repair center in my area charges a minimum of $100US for the first hour and every hour after that plus parts.

So I am wondering, Is there a chance that a DIY cleaning of the underside of the head could help? I am referring to putting a paper towel under the head and adding Windex, as I have done with my 1270.

Also, am I causing problems sending copy paper through it now and then? Since I don't make many prints, I thought that would be a good way to keep the heads from clogging, and at the same time make use of the matte cartridge.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. If there is a mechanical problem, I am willing to send it in for repair. But I am also okay with leaving the platen gap to widest as long as things don't get worse.

Dan

11-16-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not 100% following what the problem you are having is. Have you tried running a cleaning page through the printer - does it support this? My Canon does and it takes a specially folded piece of plain paper and cleans the gap. There are also special cleaning papers available.
11-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm not 100% following what the problem you are having is. Have you tried running a cleaning page through the printer - does it support this? My Canon does and it takes a specially folded piece of plain paper and cleans the gap. There are also special cleaning papers available.
Thanks for responding. Earlier this year for some unknown reason the printer was making loud noises while printing on glossy paper. After some research I tried setting the platen gap on the printer to "wide" and the noise ceased. The heat was hitting the paper and actually scratching it. Today I had to set it to the widest setting for glossy paper. Plain paper was fine. I have found nothing in the manual for using a cleaning page. It would be good to find that as an option to tinkering with paper towels and Windex cleaner.

Dan
11-16-2018, 05:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

---------- Post added 11-16-18 at 07:03 PM ----------

There are different options for different printers. This might help.

11-16-2018, 05:17 PM   #5

Original Poster
How to Professionally Clean Epson 3800 & 3880 Printers - YouTube

---------- Post added 11-16-18 at 07:03 PM ----------

There are different options for different printers. This might help.
Thanks. I did see that very video. I have done that before with an older printer that was clogged, but with Windex. I did the same thing today with the 3880 using Windex. It did need it except the heads were not clogged. There was no change, only this time I set the default menu in the software to use the wider setting. When I used the printers panel it would have to be reset every time it is turned back on. Prints come out fine with the setting on "wider." I just wonder if there is something mechanically wrong.
11-16-2018, 05:49 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is the paper curled?
11-16-2018, 07:15 PM   #7

Original Poster
Is the paper curled?
No. The paper is not curled. All the different papers I used before are now having the same problem, unless I set the platen gap to "wider." The sound is loud and it is like something is about to break! The scratches are 2-3 parallel rows running from the top to the bottom of the print

11-17-2018, 06:40 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSLRnovice Quote
No. The paper is not curled. All the different papers I used before are now having the same problem, unless I set the platen gap to "wider." The sound is loud and it is like something is about to break! The scratches are 2-3 parallel rows running from the top to the bottom of the print
That sucks. Sorry to hear.
11-17-2018, 04:07 PM   #9

Original Poster
It definitely is not the paper. When changing to letter size I forgot to check the platen gap, and now I can see the pizza wheel marks that are cutting through the paper as the front of the head assembly moves across the paper. For some reason the paper feeding mechanism is too close to the head unless I increase the platen gap to "wider." The lines are about 1 1/2" apart, from the top of the page to the bottom. I could not see the pattern before as I was testing on smaller paper.