I like one best 4884.21%
I like two best 610.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Raw or JPEG

Yesterday was a challenging day for light. Grey, but one strip just over the horizon that looked like a sunset hung around all day. It took a RAW+ jpeg exposure. I did my best to create the best image from both the raw and the jpeg. So did Tess. Here are the results. I wasn't concerned with what I did to eat image, I was concerned with what can I accomplish with a given file using my PP software. (Aperture). Hence, I'm not really discussing what I hd to do to each one. Only what could be accomplished with each one. This is a typical, expose for the sky , rescue the shadows type of image.

Last edited by normhead; 11-20-2018 at 10:47 AM.
11-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I cheated as to which is which and prefer #2 in regards to general appearance but will note that it was attained at the cost of a fair amount of artifact in the branches of the weeping willow (visible when viewing the uploaded original on Flickr). #1 is much cleaner overall.

Edit:
I changed my mind after looking at both with other than my laptop screen. #1 is now preferred.

Steve
11-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

#2 seems to have too much blue, especially in the lower-left snow.
11-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The best way to look at them is to click on one to open flicker, then toggle back and forth between the two.

11-20-2018, 12:54 PM   #5
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
#2 looks like an overly processed image and that's why I voted for it being the jpeg.
#2 looks too saturated and the details are muddled because of that.

#1 looks way better and more natural. The snow is white and not blue at least.
11-20-2018, 12:58 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I went for #1 as raw, #1 as preferred.

But, as we've often discussed on these forums many times, viewed at appropriate sizes and from sensible distances, both images look good and work just fine. It's only when you zoom into them that you start to see the results of JPEG artefacts and/or post-processing. And no-one except us photographers actually views photos that way (thank goodness)
11-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Difficult to say as both of course have to be JPEG renderings and it would be possible to manipulate (to a degree) any way you choose.

I am going to take a guess that No1 is actually from the raw capture and No2 is your JPEG SooC. My reasoning is that in the first image you have kept sky tones from yellow to red (unless you have manipulated on purpose :-)) and the trees look natural.

It seems to me possible that the colour information in No 2 in this area has been dropped by the JPEG in camera conversion (or been edited out?).

My preference would be for the first image as I do not like blue snow (although I have been warned against eating yellow snow!) and there is more of a 3d feeling to the subject with this particular rendering choice

11-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #8
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Prefer this one
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-20-2018, 02:10 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is an excellent demonstration of why I will never, ever go back to shooting jpg!

I feel sorry for the poor flattened tree and the poor blue shadows - being able to pp white balance and correct details of the exposure is really the key to good post processing, in my view.
11-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #10
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
This is an excellent demonstration of why I will never, ever go back to shooting jpg!

I feel sorry for the poor flattened tree and the poor blue shadows - being able to pp white balance and correct details of the exposure is really the key to good post processing, in my view.
I wouldn't count on it being that way round. The one with white snow has badly clipped reds in the sky which is very much an incamera jpg thing. And the jpg engines are very capable at applying colour temp and custom image so could do the white snow easily. All I know is I would far rather edit this type of image from the raw.
11-20-2018, 03:40 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have voted and not commented. I would love to find out which was which and what you did with them Norm.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-20-2018 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Removed deleted quoted post
11-20-2018, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #12
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The point is either could have been the in camera jpg. It all depends on the human input of parameters in either the camera settings or the editor settings. That is why we have tended to move towards opinions. The difficulty of the subject is I suspect a tension between the colour of the snow and keeping the tonal range of the sky. increasing the colour temperature or wb to neutralise the snow will tend to fry the sky. To get both may not be possible by adjusting the image globally. That is the strength of having it in raw and doing two renditions and merging the two. At least that would be the darktable / Gimp way. It is a great base shot Norm and i repeat I would much prefer to have it as a raw to work on if it was mine. But I won't tick the boxes above as it is a pointless guess.

Last edited by GUB; 11-20-2018 at 04:16 PM.
11-20-2018, 04:07 PM - 5 Likes   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Norm - further to my earlier response, and with all due respect, I think a fundamental difficulty with your poll may be this: We're not actually being asked to vote on raw vs JPEG as billed in the thread title, but on your personal processing of raw and JPEG files - which might be your best results based on your own post-processing tastes, software, PP skills, monitor(s) etc., but we all know how subjective post-processing can be, right? On that basis, it's more a case of which photo do we prefer and why, IMHO
11-20-2018, 04:13 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
#1 will be a lot easier to deal with in the post-process for me. Therefore I like it more, and I think it is a raw file.
11-20-2018, 04:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Norm - further to my earlier response, and with all due respect, I think a fundamental difficulty with your poll may be this: We're not actually being asked to vote on raw vs JPEG as billed in the thread title, but on your personal processing of raw and JPEG files - which might be your best results based on your own post-processing tastes, software, PP skills, monitor(s) etc., but we all know how subjective post-processing can be, right? On that basis, it's more a case of which photo do we prefer and why, IMHO
This.
RAW is only as good as the person who processes it, JPEG is only as good as the person who sets the camera*.

*I mean WRT in-camera jpeg-specific options, like highlight and shadow recovery, lens corrections, color profile, contrast, saturation, WB...