Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2018, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #16
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Did he say where he wants these requests? I have K1ii and C1 so would be happy to do my part.
I submit my questions and requests at phaseone.com -> click "Support" and scroll down to "Contact Support".

12-05-2018, 07:00 AM - 2 Likes   #17

Original Poster
K1ii

Guys from russian penta-club also opened a lot of cases to the support team about the profile K1II. Hope it will help.
12-08-2018, 07:02 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
It is a pity there still isn't support for K-1 MKII, otherwise I would have upgraded in a heartbeat...
If they ever add K-1 II support, it won't be any different to what you get now, except that you'll be able to process PEF files rather than DNG files.

They won't produce a dedicated K-1 II camera profile that differs in any way what you get when you open a DNG file from the K-1 II in Capture One.
The K-1 camera profile is just a copy of the embedded DNG profile, so I don't expect anything different if K-1 II support ever arrives.

Their claim that they meticulously engineer a custom profile for every camera they support is not true, at least in the case of Pentax. There have been a number of quite bad Pentax camera profiles for Capture One, so I wouldn't hold my breath for anything special. To Phase One's credit, after complaints (and many, many months), they addressed the faulty Pentax camera profiles.

To be clear: I really like Capture One. I much prefer it over LR (which I had used for ~3 years before). C1 (Capture One) is a great RAW editor with much more UI flexibility and better colour editing capabilities than LR.

Sadly, I don't see the value proposition for V12. I'm using two 24" 1920x1200 monitors, so I don't need the increased font size. On the contrary, it will mean that I can fit less on the screen. I don't understand the apparent assumption that everyone is running 4K displays. Actually, font size, font style (the new one is worse), background colour, having tick marks on sliders, etc. should all be configurable. C1 is so configurable in many ways, it just doesn't make sense to force some basic UI choices on users.

The new radial mask tool and the improved gradient mask tool are nice but I feel that they are not optimally integrated yet. The need to rasterise parametric masks sometimes is exposing under the hood limitations to the user, making the latter's life more complicated and inflexible than it should be.

The luma range masking option is OK, I guess, but I've never had the need to create a mask based on luminance values. Pretty much all demos show how you can tame highlights or push shadows, but one could do exactly that with the luma curve before, only in a more precise and controlled manner. Luma masks only bring additional value if your adjustment does not consist in a luminance change.

The new plugin architecture could prove useful to support publishing services (of the like LR has had for a long time) but apparently no access to pixel values is supported so we shouldn't expect anyone to be able and write a "PixelShift" plugin. Too bad.

Overall, this doesn't feel like a proper upgrade and the hefty increase in upgrade pricing is most unfortunate. I think I'll sit this one out.

Still loving V11, though!
12-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
If they ever add K-1 II support, it won't be any different to what you get now, except that you'll be able to process PEF files rather than DNG files.

They won't produce a dedicated K-1 II camera profile that differs in any way what you get when you open a DNG file from the K-1 II in Capture One.
The K-1 camera profile is just a copy of the embedded DNG profile, so I don't expect anything different if K-1 II support ever arrives.

Their claim that they meticulously engineer a custom profile for every camera they support is not true, at least in the case of Pentax. There have been a number of quite bad Pentax camera profiles for Capture One, so I wouldn't hold my breath for anything special. To Phase One's credit, after complaints (and many, many months), they addressed the faulty Pentax camera profiles.

To be clear: I really like Capture One. I much prefer it over LR (which I had used for ~3 years before). C1 (Capture One) is a great RAW editor with much more UI flexibility and better colour editing capabilities than LR.

Sadly, I don't see the value proposition for V12. I'm using two 24" 1920x1200 monitors, so I don't need the increased font size. On the contrary, it will mean that I can fit less on the screen. I don't understand the apparent assumption that everyone is running 4K displays. Actually, font size, font style (the new one is worse), background colour, having tick marks on sliders, etc. should all be configurable. C1 is so configurable in many ways, it just doesn't make sense to force some basic UI choices on users.

The new radial mask tool and the improved gradient mask tool are nice but I feel that they are not optimally integrated yet. The need to rasterise parametric masks sometimes is exposing under the hood limitations to the user, making the latter's life more complicated and inflexible than it should be.

The luma range masking option is OK, I guess, but I've never had the need to create a mask based on luminance values. Pretty much all demos show how you can tame highlights or push shadows, but one could do exactly that with the luma curve before, only in a more precise and controlled manner. Luma masks only bring additional value if your adjustment does not consist in a luminance change.

The new plugin architecture could prove useful to support publishing services (of the like LR has had for a long time) but apparently no access to pixel values is supported so we shouldn't expect anyone to be able and write a "PixelShift" plugin. Too bad.

Overall, this doesn't feel like a proper upgrade and the hefty increase in upgrade pricing is most unfortunate. I think I'll sit this one out.

Still loving V11, though!
I was on v3 in 2007 (I think) when I bought te K10D and C1 wouldn't support it (my mistake I guess - I should have checked before I bought the cam.) A friend of mine was using Lightroom, and I dowloaded a trial version. Took me months to get used to it. What I never got used to, however was the colors/contrast Lightroom gave me. So, to say that I was never entirely satisfied with Lightroom is an understatement.

Fast forward last year, I think I was on LR 6 and one morning when I opened it, I saw that the program had upgraded (to v7, I really can't remember) and began synching my photo's to the cloud. All this without my consent! I remembered I was always happy with C1 edits, so I dowloaded a trial of v10 and that was the end of it. No LR ever again for me, even if they offer it free to me...

However, to say C1 isn't without its flaws is taking it a bit easy. For catalogs and DAM LR crushes it. But there are ways to circumvent these problems.

I agree that V11 can do what V12 does, but I use a lot of masks, and to me the added luma mask would be very handy. I was under the impression that V12 would support the MkII, with which I would have upgraded in a heartbeat. Maybe new profiles wouldn't add anything very substantial (I wouldn't know), but for mindset it would be better. The added plugin support is a start (Phase One clearly stated they would add plugins in a near future.) I hope they follow it up...

Och well, doesn't do any harm to download the trial I guess...

12-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I've had C1 installed since about 2010, I think, but I only really use it for tweaking individual images as needed, not day-to-day. So I'm sticking with v10 unless a super-discount deal becomes available for upgraders.
12-09-2018, 03:31 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
I was under the impression that V12 would support the MkII, with which I would have upgraded in a heartbeat.
I'm sure it supports DNG files from the K-1 II so that's as good as it will ever get, unless you have a specific reason for wanting to produce PEF files.

I liked LR quite a bit, up to version 3.6. Starting with version 4.0 they implemented their adaptive editing cr*ap to which I said "thanks, but no thanks". Also, the writing was on the wall that even LR will become available through subscription only and to that I had to say "no" as well.

Glad I found Capture One as I like it much more now than I ever liked LR.
12-09-2018, 03:40 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I'm sure it supports DNG files from the K-1 II so that's as good as it will ever get, unless you have a specific reason for wanting to produce PEF files.

I liked LR quite a bit, up to version 3.6. Starting with version 4.0 they implemented their adaptive editing cr*ap to which I said "thanks, but no thanks". Also, the writing was on the wall that even LR will become available through subscription only and to that I had to say "no" as well.

Glad I found Capture One as I like it much more now than I ever liked LR.
Well, I don't like DNG too much (for various reasons), but my main intake is, that I ever set the camera to PEF (for whatever reason) I won't be able to read them in C1 unless I convert them to DNG.

Agree about your takes on LR and C1... C1 is so much better in every aspect that counts!