Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2018, 03:00 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Capture One catalogue

I'm trying to find out if the catalogue feature in Capture One will match that in Lightroom. I know there is an import from Lightroom function, but what obout functionality and speed? I'm reluctant to download a trial version and spending time on evaluation without at least some advice. The most important functionality in an alternative to Lightroom is the catalogue and batch processing.

I have made a serious effort with ON1, but the catalogue function is no where near good enough and processing is slow (a lot slower than Lightroom). I've decided not to go any futher with ON1.

Capture One seems to be a well reputed program and I would like to know more (from actual users. I have read almost everything on the website).

Can anyone help?

12-01-2018, 05:36 AM   #2
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think C1 is a good alternative for Lightroom. Much more faster and better colorgrading abilitys
12-01-2018, 07:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I really prefer "sessions" on C1 rather than catalogue...

Just like:

- New Session
- (put name to new session)
- Import images

And the i use the session as a mini-catalogue, if i need to move to another session just change to the selected session and thats it...
12-01-2018, 10:41 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been using Capture One for a number of years and have been very happy with it, both for the catalog and for image processing/editing. The catalog provides projects, groups, albums and smart albums. Albums are primary picture container. A smart album contains copies of pictures selected based on the desired meta data values. You can apply metadata such as ranking and color coding. You can also edit the IPTC metadata fields. When I travel I set up a new catalog on my lap top for that trip, I usually do some preliminary sorting and editing while I am on the road. When I get back I simply import that catalog back into the main catalog I am using. You can store the images internally within the catalog (managed) or externally (referenced). I usually import directly into the catalog for initial editing, but once I am done with a set of images, I move them out into the file system on an external drive.

I have a number of catalogs, typically with 30,000 - 50,000 images each. I haven't noticesd any performance issues. I have found imports, typically 50-500 images for me, to be pretty speedy. (Sorry I don't have any timings) It does take longer to complete the generation of preview images, but this will go on in background while you edit. I am using a six year old Mac Mini. I have always found all the edit sliders to be responsive.

I have found raw conversion to be excellent with very good control of noise/sharpening. The control of color/contrast is likewise excellent. CO does recognize some (not all) Pentax lenses. For example it has built in profiles for the 15mm and 21mm DA Ltds for correction of barrel distortion. CO provides multiple edit layers that you blend by setting the opacity of each layer. Each layer can contain adjustments or cloning/repairs.CO has the usual masking tools.

Hope this helps,
Richard.

12-01-2018, 01:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bengan Quote
I'm trying to find out if the catalogue feature in Capture One will match that in Lightroom. I know there is an import from Lightroom function, but what obout functionality and speed? I'm reluctant to download a trial version and spending time on evaluation without at least some advice. The most important functionality in an alternative to Lightroom is the catalogue and batch processing.

I have made a serious effort with ON1, but the catalogue function is no where near good enough and processing is slow (a lot slower than Lightroom). I've decided not to go any futher with ON1.

Capture One seems to be a well reputed program and I would like to know more (from actual users. I have read almost everything on the website).

Can anyone help?
If you want to dig deeper I highly can recommend Sascha Erni‘s book „Capture One Pro xx“ - I own xx = 9 and 10 as eBook versions. You get it at Rocky Nook - Educational Photography Books. They often offer significant rebates. Last week I bought two other eBooks at 50% of the usual price.

Capture One Pro is a really great piece of software and IMO the catalog doesn’s suffer anymore. Phase One offers a lot of professional videos (Capture One Learning Hub - Free tutorials, webinars and blog posts) and a special blog (Capture One Blog).
12-02-2018, 01:42 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richard_b Quote
I have been using Capture One for a number of years and have been very happy with it, both for the catalog and for image processing/editing. The catalog provides projects, groups, albums and smart albums. Albums are primary picture container. A smart album contains copies of pictures selected based on the desired meta data values. You can apply metadata such as ranking and color coding. You can also edit the IPTC metadata fields. When I travel I set up a new catalog on my lap top for that trip, I usually do some preliminary sorting and editing while I am on the road. When I get back I simply import that catalog back into the main catalog I am using. You can store the images internally within the catalog (managed) or externally (referenced). I usually import directly into the catalog for initial editing, but once I am done with a set of images, I move them out into the file system on an external drive.

I have a number of catalogs, typically with 30,000 - 50,000 images each. I haven't noticesd any performance issues. I have found imports, typically 50-500 images for me, to be pretty speedy. (Sorry I don't have any timings) It does take longer to complete the generation of preview images, but this will go on in background while you edit. I am using a six year old Mac Mini. I have always found all the edit sliders to be responsive.

I have found raw conversion to be excellent with very good control of noise/sharpening. The control of color/contrast is likewise excellent. CO does recognize some (not all) Pentax lenses. For example it has built in profiles for the 15mm and 21mm DA Ltds for correction of barrel distortion. CO provides multiple edit layers that you blend by setting the opacity of each layer. Each layer can contain adjustments or cloning/repairs.CO has the usual masking tools.

Hope this helps,
Richard.
Thanks, just the kind of answer I was looking for.

---------- Post added 02-12-18 at 09:46 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
If you want to dig deeper I highly can recommend Sascha Erni‘s book „Capture One Pro xx“ - I own xx = 9 and 10 as eBook versions. You get it at Rocky Nook - Educational Photography Books. They often offer significant rebates. Last week I bought two other eBooks at 50% of the usual price.

Capture One Pro is a really great piece of software and IMO the catalog doesn’s suffer anymore. Phase One offers a lot of professional videos (Capture One Learning Hub - Free tutorials, webinars and blog posts) and a special blog (Capture One Blog).
Thanks, usefull links. I took time to watch some webinars. That gave me, among other things, a better understanding of sessions.

Last edited by Bengan; 12-02-2018 at 01:47 AM.
12-03-2018, 11:44 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote

Today's message from Rock Nook - 35% at checkout, Code "December2018" until December 15th ... maybe you're interested in eBooks about photography and more. There are two special offers - at 45%, code "PHOTOGRAPHS45" for one of those books about. Hope it's allowed to give such hints. Pease let me know if not. Thanks!