Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2018, 06:00 AM   #1
Forum Member

Issue exporting from Darktable with KP?

Recently I upgraded to the KP from the K50. I'm now noticing that my images are quite a bit darker when I export to JPG vs the RAW preview. Sometimes a fair bit of detail is even clipped out. I am using the sRGB export setting and am shooting to DNG. Anyone know why this might be happening?

12-02-2018, 06:51 AM   #2
Forum Member

Same issue with the TIFF export? Do other image viewers show the same darker result?
12-02-2018, 06:59 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah I should have said, I've tried with TIFFs and PNGs, same issue.

Here's what it looks like in the RAW preview (cropping a tiny portion of the image to demonstrate):

And then here's what it looks like after export:

Attached Images

12-02-2018, 07:15 AM   #4
Forum Member

"Settings > Core Options > Do high quality resampling during export" is enabled?

---------- Post added 2018-12-02 at 07:21 ----------

The reverse could also be the issue, the export is "correct" but the display on screen is too bright due to display profile settings. Might wanna check that too.

12-02-2018, 08:37 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I did not have high quality resampling enabled. After doing that I see a difference, but only a very small one.

My display profile in Windows 10 is for my monitor, but I admit I don't know a great deal about display profiles.
12-02-2018, 12:04 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by selfnoise Quote
Recently I upgraded to the KP from the K50. I'm now noticing that my images are quite a bit darker when I export to JPG vs the RAW preview. Sometimes a fair bit of detail is even clipped out. I am using the sRGB export setting and am shooting to DNG. Anyone know why this might be happening?
My guess would have to be the monitor settings. I've used Darktable with my K5, K3, K-1 and now KP and have not noticed a difference, I also shoot DNG and export as JPG. Although I am using a Linux machine now.

I have calibrated my monitor to my printer, because I want to see as close to the print as I can on my screen. There are several tutorials about calibrating a monitor without using a calibration tool, and several of them are quite good.
12-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #7
Forum Member

3.2.10.*Color management | usermanual | darktable

Running Darktable cmstest should be a good starting point.
12-02-2018, 02:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Are the colour management settings the same across your viewer app and darktable? That would be my first guess with these sorts of problems.

12-02-2018, 05:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The release notes for the upcoming darktable 2.6 were just published today. Full support for the KP, 645Z and K1 Mark II is listed. Before now, these were only available in a development build. - Jack
12-02-2018, 05:58 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
The release notes for the upcoming darktable 2.6 were just published today. Full support for the KP, 645Z and K1 Mark II is listed. Before now, these were only available in a development build. - Jack
This is interesting to know. Iíve been using a development build, even before getting the KP. The OP may be having an issue I never saw.
12-10-2018, 08:01 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
I've had no luck mitigating this so I've been forced to stop using Darktable. Quite disheartening. I'm currently using a trial of DxO to see how I like it and hoping that perhaps the 2.6 release of Darktable will fix the problem.

It's definitely a color management issue having somehow to do with Flickr particularly... the image doesn't get badly mangled until it ends up on Flickr. But DxO has zero issues.