Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Migrating ON1 to new computer

I am in the process of moving from an old MacBook Pro to a new MacBook Pro (running Mojave). I have ON1 Photo Raw 2019 installed on both. However, it is not clear how to migrate my existing catalog to the new machine. Has anyone worked out how to do this?

In fact, it is not even clear where the catalog is! Most software (Lightroom, Aperture, etc) keeps it in ~/Pictures, but ON1 seems to put it in

~/Library/Application Support/ON1/ON1 Photo RAW 2019/ExploreService,

in some very opaque form. It is not clear what to copy to the new machine. In fact, I tried copying the whole of

~/Library/Application Support/ON1/ON1 Photo RAW 2019

This at least copied over all my presets, but not my catalog, as far as I can see.

ON1 support was less than useful on this ("We do not have backup/migration ability in our software, which is being considered for a future release.")

Any insights?

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 12-12-2018 at 02:52 PM.
12-12-2018, 01:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you try using the Apple Migration Assistant in your Utilities folder?
12-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Did you try using the Apple Migration Assistant in your Utilities folder?
Migration Assistant "Not Permitted" on my Mac unfortunately. It's a work (university) machine, and they disable it intentionally. In any case, I would be impressed if it could navigate the labyrinthine ON1 setup.
12-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Migration Assistant "Not Permitted" on my Mac unfortunately. It's a work (university) machine, and they disable it intentionally. In any case, I would be impressed if it could navigate the labyrinthine ON1 setup.
In my experience Migration Assistant did a great job of migrating a user account from one machine to another. Apps, prefs, everything. On a machine with user restrictions migration might well be impossible...

12-12-2018, 04:17 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you mean 'catalog' as in 'LR catalog'...it doesn't have one to find. That's not how it works.

If you have 'save on1 sidecar files' checked in preferences, you should just be able to point the new install at your images folder and the edits will be there.
12-12-2018, 07:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
If you mean 'catalog' as in 'LR catalog'...it doesn't have one to find. That's not how it works.

If you have 'save on1 sidecar files' checked in preferences, you should just be able to point the new install at your images folder and the edits will be there.
Yes, I understand that. Perhaps I should tick the sidecar box. I haven't been doing so. However, when I open ON1 of my old laptop, it remembers the edits, without sidecars. So where is it storing those? That's what I mean by "catalog".
12-19-2018, 06:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
THE SOLUTION: just copy the whole directory ~/Library/Application Support/ON1 to the new computer (Mac; windows should be similar). Everything seems to be copied over.