Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-14-2018, 11:58 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
What cataloguing software to use

Hello!

Maybe this question has been asked before, though I didn't find a suitable answer in my search. I'm looking for a program that allows me to manage and tag my RAW files. I've given digikam a try but found it somewhat unfriendly. In short, a program that does the following things would be great:

1. Detects my camera (a K-S2) from a USB connection.
2. Copies the files to a specified folder in the computer.
3. Creates tags and ratings that my editing program (darktable) can read.

If it's free it would be even better
If you know any program that does those things in a simple way please let me know.

ps: This could be a question for a different thread, but is there a way to edit the exif info embedded in the pictures? I shoot mostly with K and M glass and sometimes I forget with which lens I took a picture

12-15-2018, 01:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
with camera connected via usb and on, do lsusb

Is the camera found in the list? If so it may be possible to have it mounted when connected, what distro. do you use?

I think there is a lot to say with creating one's own file system of directories, that way the owner knows where they are. Then tagging is available in darktable.
Yes slightly different to what you are seeking, but there are many ways of doing things.
Hope you find what you are looking for.
Regards.
12-15-2018, 01:43 AM - 1 Like   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

For the Exif part, have a look at exif-tools. A very powerful tool, perfect for batch jobs and scripting.

ExifTool Command-Line Examples

I think there is a gui front-end out there as well, but have never looked at it.
12-15-2018, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #4

When asking for software recomendations, it's helpful to know whether for Mac or PC. The big developers, like Adobe, will offer both, but if you are looking at free / shareware those apps are often developed for only one or the other.

It is not at all free, but Lightroom provides excellent cataloging capabilities (and a whole lot more). Lightroom provides the capability to create Import presets and multiple kinds of tags - should easily be able to do what you want if you are willing to pay for it. Can't say Lightroom is really simple, but capable software always requires a certain amount of effort to learn how it works.

*Some* EXIF data can be edited in Lightroom, but not all. For example you could write free text in the Caption field "Shot with xyz lens" - but you can not edit the field for "Lens" from Lightroom.

12-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #5

I believe Digikam works exactly as you'd want it.

I use Rawtherapee rather than Digikam, so I can't actually see my Digikam ratings from Rawtherapee (they use different sidecar formats), but I'm pretty sure Digikam and Darktable are compatible when it comes to tags.
12-15-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by runswithsizzers Quote
*Some* EXIF data can be edited in Lightroom, but not all. For example you could write free text in the Caption field "Shot with xyz lens" - but you can not edit the field for "Lens" from Lightroom.
There is the LensTagger plug-in that provides a handy facade into ExifTool from Lightroom. I am not a user, but it has several fans on this site.

Steve
12-15-2018, 05:08 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I once used LensTagger a bunch, but stopped. In part that was because on some occasions it messed with applications' ability to detect lenses for corrections (not as straight forward as one would hope; this was in mostly DxO but also Lr at times). I switched to using keywords instead, as it was worked with most everything and was easier to apply, and went into IPTC rather than exif. Darktable would be able to see those keywords IIRC; been a while since I used it.

12-16-2018, 05:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check out Zoner ZPS-X nice program with catalog and tagging and ratings.
12-18-2018, 11:04 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

I forgot to mention I use Windows 10, my bad. I'll check the programs you mentioned, thanks again