Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2018, 01:13 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Luminar 3 with Libraries is out

You can still get if for $59 until December 19th. The SKY Enhancer is worth that price alone...

Luminar - The Best Photo Editing Software for Mac & PC | Skylum

Those of us who paid Luminar 2018 last year get it free, and free updates till Luminar 4...

12-18-2018, 05:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can get a demo here: Luminar 2018 Free Trial - Download Luminar for Free | Skylum (ex-Macphun)

I don't think it's worth buying (or even upgrading in my case). But YMMV.
12-18-2018, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
I don't think it's worth buying (or even upgrading in my case). But YMMV.
I decided to stop paying the Adobe Tax. So yes, MMVed.
12-18-2018, 06:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

So did I. I bet I am going to miss the Lightroom and Photoshop combo, but I got the luminar for now. Looking forward to trying it. I think it might actually work well for me. I don't do serious tinkering that often and when I do I bet I'll miss Photoshop, but serious tinkering happens mostly in the summer with landscapes. Most of the year I don't need all that horsepower...

12-18-2018, 08:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve been using Luminar for a year or more now and really like it. I also have On1 and Affinity, but I find I reach for Luminar first. For me it is the interface - I find it very intuitive. Yes, I also use the others for certain things but Luminar is my go-to.

They generally have a free trial period, and I think it is at least worth a look-see.

Don
12-18-2018, 08:56 PM   #6

I tried it out... I actually like the layout and the library function. But man, the more I try other development apps, the more I love Darktable.
12-18-2018, 09:28 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
So did I. I bet I am going to miss the Lightroom and Photoshop combo, but I got the luminar for now. Looking forward to trying it. I think it might actually work well for me. I don't do serious tinkering that often and when I do I bet I'll miss Photoshop, but serious tinkering happens mostly in the summer with landscapes. Most of the year I don't need all that horsepower...
Affinity Photo is a great PS replacement and is on sale for $40 right now. Combine that with Luminar and you will not miss Adobe.

12-19-2018, 01:27 AM   #8

Personnaly, i found that the problem with Affinity is the too long time it takes to charge a RAW picture.
For me, it's much much too long even if i use a Icore 7 processor with 32GB of RAM or a HP_Z620 with 2x ZEON processors (32 cores) + 64 GB RAM ....

I have already tested ON1, LUMINAR 2018, AFFINITY .... and i continue to use PHOTOSHOP (old CS5 version). But, i will not buy further version or photoshop (i dislike to have to pay each month).
12-19-2018, 04:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barthovis Quote
Affinity Photo is a great PS replacement and is on sale for $40 right now. Combine that with Luminar and you will not miss Adobe.
I've been looking at it as well. Read good things about it. Might give it a try...
12-19-2018, 08:55 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BSULMON Quote
Personnaly, i found that the problem with Affinity is the too long time it takes to charge a RAW picture.
For me, it's much much too long even if i use a Icore 7 processor with 32GB of RAM or a HP_Z620 with 2x ZEON processors (32 cores) + 64 GB RAM ....

I have already tested ON1, LUMINAR 2018, AFFINITY .... and i continue to use PHOTOSHOP (old CS5 version). But, i will not buy further version or photoshop (i dislike to have to pay each month).
I agree with you regarding RAW processing with Affinity Photo, however, they have a beta v.1.7 out now which has improved that significantly. They claim to have re-written the RAW processor, as well as a lot of the adjustment algorithms. I don't see a difference in the U.I., but I can tell it is different under the hood, and I think 1.7 is a really solid program now. Affinity's biggest gaffe IMO is lack of any semblance of a file/asset manager. They have something in the works, but aren't saying when it will see the light of day. But if you use Luminar (or ON1, or DXO, etc.) for file management and RAW editing and still want to have a Photoshop-type program available (without paying Adobe), I think AP fills that role very well.
12-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I decided to stop paying the Adobe Tax. So yes, MMVed.
Yeah, I dropped out of paying the Macphun/Skylum tax. I've had their stuff since they started as Macphun. Gave Luminar a shot, but even at a yearly upgrade fee of $40-50 I didn't feel I was getting enough, especially since I still needed other software along with it. I still use the Creative Kit plugins on occasion, but I don't know how long they'll continue to work and Skylum has stopped updating them.
12-19-2018, 11:33 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I need to update my copy. I bought the 2018 version when they finally went to Windows and was a bit disappointed at the lack of certain features once I got working with it. I love the interface though. I was happy the 2019 upgrade did not require a new fee.

We all do need to recognize that most these companies are operating somewhat on a subscription/tax basis, although at least with most of them if you choose not to pay you get to keep the version you are at. My biggest beef with Adobe is that once you stop paying you can't really use it.

As for Affinity, I've been using it to replace Photoshop (I have CS6, so I still use that too), but I use it on Tiff files after running it through a raw processor.
12-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barthovis Quote
I agree with you regarding RAW processing with Affinity Photo, however, they have a beta v.1.7 out now which has improved that significantly. They claim to have re-written the RAW processor, as well as a lot of the adjustment algorithms. I don't see a difference in the U.I., but I can tell it is different under the hood, and I think 1.7 is a really solid program now. Affinity's biggest gaffe IMO is lack of any semblance of a file/asset manager. They have something in the works, but aren't saying when it will see the light of day. But if you use Luminar (or ON1, or DXO, etc.) for file management and RAW editing and still want to have a Photoshop-type program available (without paying Adobe), I think AP fills that role very well.
My biggest gripe of Affinity is that it seems to work on a on a single photo at a time.

One of the things I love about LR, On1, and Dxo Photolab 2 is that I can work on a folder's woth of images at the same time. I don't have to close and open a photo. they are all there available to me to jump between. If Affinity has this, I've not been able to find it.
12-19-2018, 01:56 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Craigbob Quote
If Affinity has this, I've not been able to find it.
Affinity does not have that, it is equivalent to Photoshop, not Lightroom...Now that Luminar has DAM it is trying to be Lightroom with better editing features...
12-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Luminar 3 with Libraries is out
Out in what sense, though? I see a lot of people on other forums complaining about new bugs including freezing on trying to open a file. I've advised my readers to wait with upgrading.