Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2018, 06:01 AM   #1

Anyone tried On1 2019 (or upgraded) and likes to share their experience?

I guess the title says it all

I would just like to hear from those who are using it what your opinions are

P.S. I know a 30 day trial is available.

12-19-2018, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m learning the new version, after using the 2017 and 2018 versions. In order to make best use of it, I need to use a new workflow, which I’m In the middle of figuring out. That being said, the learning curve isn’t too bad. If you are a user of Adobe Lightroom, the ability to non-destructively bring in images from Lightroom with your edits available is worth the price of admission, IMHO. It will take a while to train myself to use the new features and capabilities, but this version seems to be well worth having. Now, if I could just get ON1 to get moving on incorporating pixel shift...

Last edited by subsea; 12-19-2018 at 09:15 AM.
12-19-2018, 08:12 AM   #3

yes, I am on1 photo raw user

As a newbie with 2018.5 version I was excited with all the options. Now, aftery getting into 2019 version, I am thinking more and more of coming back to 2018.5 version. The main reason is that my 2019 version is quite unstable. I will ask once more when they expect a correcting patch, I will try to work a little bit more in the next few days, but very likely I will get back before the end of this year.
12-19-2018, 11:38 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm curious about the OP's questions too. I purchased the 2017 and 2018 versions and used them in limited ways, but after finding instability at the start of each release cycle and what I felt were marginal improvements from 2017 to 2018, I am hesitant in updating again. While I like the idea of supporting these players in the battle against Adobe, I find that these companies all seem to promise a lot but deliver slowly.

One feature lacking that I am not sure they've corrected or not, is the ability to use 2 monitors. I find dual monitors indispensable for batch processing and workflow, and On1 did not cut it for that, and I suspect they have not improved on that.

12-19-2018, 12:35 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Those of you dealing with instabilities haven't said what computer/OS you're using and haven't stated how much RAM you've got. I'm using a Mac Pro (2010 version) with 36 GB of RAM and haven't noticed any ON1-related instabilities since I upgraded the RAM from 6 GB when I was using ON1 2017. I recently upgraded my video card to a Sapphire HD 7950 (Mac Edition) which has significantly improved processing speed, and which will allow me to upgrade the OS to Mojave as soon as I have the time (currently using High Sierra). I've found that earlier versions of ON1 had difficulty dealing with the overhead associated with newer OS versions while constrained by limited RAM. I would assume that ON1 2019 would be problematic under the same conditions.

All of that being said, I also run ON1 2018 on a 2008 MacBook Pro with only 4 GB of RAM, running OS El Capitan. While I find it slow, I don't find it unstable. I'm going to try upgrading to ON1 2019 on this machine and see how it goes. By the way, I have also heard from people who have multiple versions of ON1 installed (i.e. 2017, 2018, 2018.5) and a number of them had problems with multiple versions. The problems went away when they cut back to just the latest version. Personally, I've always kept the latest 2 versions of ON1 on my computers and I've never noticed a problem related to that.

Hope this helps.
12-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A notable and egregious omission in ON1 is lack of profiles for Pentax lenses (at least the 5 Pentax lenses I own). So, no automatic lens corrections. I prefer DxO PhotoLab, but I think ON1 is very good in many ways.
12-19-2018, 05:34 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

None of the photo editing tools have lens profiles for most of my Pentax lenses, which are FA zooms from my film days. ON1 has the profile for my HD DA 16-85mm, but doesn't (yet) have the profile for my HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE. I don't blame ON1 for that, since I don't know of any software company that actually develops their own lens profiles. Eventually, someone will generate a profile for that lens, but I don't expect anyone to ever develop profiles for the older Pentax lenses that Lightroom doesn't already have. As far as I can tell, the difference between ON1 and Adobe (for instance) in that regard is pretty small.
12-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by subsea Quote
None of the photo editing tools have lens profiles for most of my Pentax lenses, which are FA zooms from my film days. ON1 has the profile for my HD DA 16-85mm, but doesn't (yet) have the profile for my HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE. I don't blame ON1 for that, since I don't know of any software company that actually develops their own lens profiles. Eventually, someone will generate a profile for that lens, but I don't expect anyone to ever develop profiles for the older Pentax lenses that Lightroom doesn't already have. As far as I can tell, the difference between ON1 and Adobe (for instance) in that regard is pretty small.
All of my Pentax lenses were purchased new witnin the last 4 months, and are commonly used among Pentax users, so I would expect profiles. DxO makes their own profiles which they create from lens and body combinations. PhotoLab 2 has calibrations for all of my Pentax lenses on the K-1 II body.

12-19-2018, 06:54 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
One feature lacking that I am not sure they've corrected or not, is the ability to use 2 monitors. I find dual monitors indispensable for batch processing and workflow, and On1 did not cut it for that, and I suspect they have not improved on that.
According to its FAQ,

Q: Will ON1 Photo Raw 2019 have true dual monitor support?

A: Yes, but true dual monitor support may not be included in the initial release in November. This is a popular feature request that was scheduled to be added to ON1 Photo Raw 2019 in free updates after the initial November release.
12-19-2018, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

So far, I haven't had time to thoroughly explore the new version. I believe the integrated "Edit" module is an improvement over the previous separated modules.

There are still some things I prefer LR for: e.g., full screen view, ease of NR. However, ON1 is far more powerful in its presets, layers, etc.

Many Pentax lenses are not yet supported by lens profiles. Pentax lenses currently supported are:

Pentax 01 Standard Prime 8.5mm f/1.9 AL [IF]
Pentax HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED WR
Pentax HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR
Pentax HD Pentax-DA 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR
Pentax HD Pentax-DA 18-50mm f/4-5.6 DC WR RE
Pentax HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
Pentax HD Pentax-DA 21mm f/3.2 ED AL Limited
Pentax HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED WR
Pentax HD Pentax-DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited
Pentax Pentax Optio 230GS & compatibles (Standard)
Pentax Pentax Optio 430 & compatibles (Standard)
Pentax Pentax Optio 43WR & compatibles (Standard)
Pentax Pentax Optio 750Z & compatibles (Standard)
Pentax Pentax-F 28-80mm f/3.5-4.5
Pentax Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4
Pentax Super-Takumar 55mm f/1.8
Pentax Takumar 135mm f/2.5 Bayonet
Pentax smc Pentax K 30mm f/2.8
Pentax smc Pentax-A 28mm 1:2.8
Pentax smc Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7
Pentax smc Pentax-D FA Macro 100mm f/2.8 WR
Pentax smc Pentax-DA 12-24mm f/4 ED AL IF
Pentax smc Pentax-DA 15mm f/4 ED AL Limited
Pentax smc Pentax-DA 16-45mm f/4 ED AL
Pentax smc Pentax-DA 17-70mm f/4 AL [IF] SDM
Pentax smc Pentax-DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL IF DC WR
Pentax smc Pentax-DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF]
Pentax smc Pentax-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL
Pentax smc Pentax-DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL II L WR
Pentax smc Pentax-DA 21mm f/3.2 AL Limited
Pentax smc Pentax-DA 35mm f/2.4 AL
Pentax smc Pentax-DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited
Pentax smc Pentax-DA 40mm f/2.8 XS
Pentax smc Pentax-DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 DA ED
Pentax smc Pentax-DA 50mm f/1.8
Pentax smc Pentax-DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED
Pentax smc Pentax-DA 70mm f/2.4 Limited
Pentax smc Pentax-DA Fish-Eye 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 ED IF
Pentax smc Pentax-DA L 18-50mm f/4-5.6 DC WR RE
Pentax smc Pentax-DA L 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED WR
Pentax smc Pentax-DA L 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED
Pentax smc Pentax-DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 ED AL IF SDM
Pentax smc Pentax-DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 ED IF SDM
Pentax smc Pentax-FA 28mm f/2.8 AL
Pentax smc Pentax-FA 31mm f/1.8 AL Limited
Pentax smc Pentax-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited
Pentax smc Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4
Pentax smc Pentax-M 150mm f/3.5
Pentax smc Pentax-M 28mm 1:3.5
Pentax smc Pentax-M 35mm 1:2
Pentax smc Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7
Pentax smc Pentax-M 50mm f/2
Pentax smc Pentax-M Macro 1:4 100mm
Pentax smc Pentax-M Macro 1:4 50mm
Pentax smc Takumar 50mm f/1.4

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 12-19-2018 at 07:36 PM.
12-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
So far, I haven't had time to thoroughly explore the new version. I believe the integrated "Edit" module is an improvement over the previous separated modules.

There are still some things I prefer LR for: e.g., full screen view, ease of NR. However, ON1 is far more powerful in its presets, layers, etc.

Many Pentax lenses are not yet supported by lens profiles. Pentax lenses currently supported are:...

Thanks for posting that list, Paul. While working with James at ON1 support on a seemingly unrelated issue, my missing lens profile issue was fixed as well. Only 2 of my Pentax lenses are on that list, but it's good to know that they have profiles, anyway.
12-21-2018, 05:00 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barthovis Quote
All of my Pentax lenses were purchased new witnin the last 4 months, and are commonly used among Pentax users, so I would expect profiles. DxO makes their own profiles which they create from lens and body combinations. PhotoLab 2 has calibrations for all of my Pentax lenses on the K-1 II body.
Yes, DxO has profiles for all my lenses (except the M series lenses). LR had been good in the past too, but it struggled with 3rd party lenses. DxO doesn't even struggle there.

Not sure about On1. I never had problems with any of my lenses too, but I don't have a huge selection, and many I have are the more common Pentax ones. For instance, I shoot about 75% of the time with my 31/1.8. On1 had that profile for me, and I probably shoot most the remaining 25% with 4 to 6 other lenses (2 zooms and 2 to 4 primes). Haven't tried On1 2019 yet, though.
12-23-2018, 03:47 PM   #13
Pentaxian

ON1 2019.1 has just been released. The new features are:
  • Enhanced Focus Stacking — The Focus Stacking algorithms have been enhanced and improved. This update makes the alignment of each photo more accurate, and the blending of the photos produces less speckling in the bokeh regions and water. You can also output the results as layers with layer masks so you can tune the results manually. You can also zoom and pan the preview in the Focus Stacking dialog.
  • Portrait Enhancements — Improved the accuracy in auto-detection of faces. The ability to delete the selection of faces has also been added.
  • Masking Enhancements — Inverting, copying and pasting masks gives better results.
  • File Saving – Saving layered ONPhoto files is faster, and the resulting file size has been reduced.
  • AdobeŽ LightroomŽ Plug-in Improvements — The Open as layers option now saves the results as a layered PSD or flattened TIF/JPG based on your preferences and round-trip with Lightroom. The migration assistant now migrates the pick flag from Lightroom to the Like hearts in ON1 Photo RAW 2019.1.
  • Import/Export Keyword List — You can now import and export the keyword list.
  • User Suggested Enhancements — The Crop tool preset is now remembered across photos, You can reset the layer properties, cursors are more precise for plus/minus modes, scroll position is maintained when culling with a filter enabled. The ability to Zoom & Pan the preview in the HDR window.
  • New Camera Support — Nikon Z 6, Nikon D3500, Sony XH99, Pentax K-1 II, Fujfillm GFX 50R, Leica C-Lux.
  • Other bug fixes and performance improvements.
12-24-2018, 12:56 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FYI, for those complaining about lack of support for Pentax lens profiles in ON1, they apparently do not generate their own profiles for lenses. They specifically state: "ON1 Photo RAW 2019 uses the open source LensFun database. This is a crowd-sourced, creative-commons database of lens profiles." Thus, it would appear that if a lens profile doesn't show up in ON1 Photo RAW, it's because the profile doesn't exist in LensFun. In addition, they also state "Lens correction will not be detected or applied to .DNG, TIFFs, JPEGs or PNGs." The implication of this is that lens correction will be applied to Pentax-generated image files saved as PEF files, but not those saved as DNG files. This seems a little strange to me, but this is what they explicitly state. So, if it looks like your lenses aren't having corrections applied, it may be because you are saving the images in DNG format.

Edit: I just checked some images that I saved as .DNG files, using my HD DA 16-85mm, which is listed as being included among the lenses for which a profile exists in ON1 and, even though they are .DNG files, a correction IS applied. This can be verified by turning off the lens correction for an appropriate .DNG image in ON1 and observing that the image does, indeed, change. So the statement that Lens Corrections will not be detected or applied to .DNG files seems to be incorrect.

Last edited by subsea; 12-24-2018 at 01:01 PM.
01-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #15

Original Poster
I've been playing with the stacking and hdr for a couple of days. I've got affinity photos for comparison and also Siril (Open software linux software).

So far I am not overly impressed. Focus stacking does seem to produce an image made by pieces of puzzle of the various images you select, so as you start editing the different photos in develop you start to see which part of the image was used for the stacked images, the stacked image starts to display blotches of lighter or darker areas as you move the exposure values.

I am not well versed with focus stacking. I have mostly been using "stacking" to average exposures where you have to "paint" with light.

The HDR mode does not seem to try to align the different frames so it doesn't at first glance seem to be useful for scenarios where you might want to average exposure and different focal lengths.

I'd love some input from the veterans here if you notice that I'm just completely in the wrong with my workflow or expectations.

You can see the blotches/puzzles on the picture attached.
Attached Images