Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #1

creating my own workspace in dxo photolabs

Hi, I want to start shooting in monochrome. Software dxo photolabs camera Pentax K-7. How do I go about creating specific workspace? I'll be shooting raw with monochome picture control. New at this and wouldn't mind a few pointers. I've read/heard that even though the shot is monochrome all the colour data is there because it's a raw file. Can I batch process all the images to monochrome then edit them as monochrome from there. Or there is a roundabout?

thx,

12-23-2018, 05:25 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might want to check this out Sharing PhotoLab Workspace layouts ... with potential to learn from others - DxO PhotoLab - DxO Forums . I use the standard PhotoLab workspace and develop the raw color files then use either the free NIK collection Silver EFEX or DXO Film Pack 5 to process the JPEGs in monochrome. I've never found that batch processing the RAWs worked for me so each file is dealt with individually. Below is a color JPEG file processed in Film Pack 5 monochrome processing.

Raymondm MS Courthouse circa 1857-59 [Explored]
by Larry Mc, on Flickr
12-23-2018, 05:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
that is a nice monochome image thanks for the input/lead

---------- Post added 12-23-18 at 05:51 PM ----------

do you tweak the preset setting or do you just go with the ones you feel shows the image off best?
12-23-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by enyaw Quote
that is a nice monochome image thanks for the input/lead

---------- Post added 12-23-18 at 05:51 PM ----------

do you tweak the preset setting or do you just go with the ones you feel shows the image off best?
Thanks

I look at each photo individually and process them in PhotoLab to achieve the particular look I want, nothing is batch processed. I usually Leave certain selections as they are. Here is a list of presets that I use, you have to develop your own preferences and technique.

RAW White Balance:
As Shot
Exposure Compensation:
As needed
DXO Smart Lighting:
Always on-usually default
Selective Tone:
As needed
DXO Clearview Plus
As Needed adjusted to taste
Contrast:
Contrast as needed
Microcontrast 16-22
Noise Reduction:
Prime always
Tone Curve:
As needed
Color Accentuation:
Vibrancy as needed
Saturation as needed
Color Rendering:
Camera Body or DCP Profile
HSL:
As Needed
Chromatic Aberration:
Always on Default setting if there is a lens profile

I make Local Adjustments as needed.

Last edited by Larrymc; 01-02-2019 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Removed ICC Profile and added DCP Profile
12-24-2018, 04:44 AM   #5

Original Poster
holy crap, that is almost/could be a workspace right there. Thanks very much Santa. And I guess you/we have to treat each image individually

now I'm seeing the light
12-24-2018, 08:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

holy crap, that is almost/could be a workspace right there. Thanks very much Santa. And I guess you/we have to treat each image individually

now I'm seeing the light
Well it actually is the PhotoLab default workspace. When I first got started with PhotoLab I didn't want to change anything till I had worked through every slider and adjustment. I guess I could setup a custom workspace with all the tools I need but I'm a bit lazy.....LOL and the way I do it works for me.
12-24-2018, 09:23 AM   #7

Original Poster
yeah im the same way, but I think we can delve deeper into the features esp. with the time off from work and make a specific workspace for monochrome. If one was so inclined. and that's the way i'm leaning. ie all the raw/b + w images were instantly converted. Contrast heightened etc. then treat each image individually. But that sounds like a preset to me.

please let me know

12-24-2018, 10:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

yeah im the same way, but I think we can delve deeper into the features esp. with the time off from work and make a specific workspace for monochrome. If one was so inclined. and that's the way i'm leaning. ie all the raw/b + w images were instantly converted. Contrast heightened etc. then treat each image individually. But that sounds like a preset to me.

please let me know
Maybe for studio shots with controlled light you could use a preset, but outside of that light is so variable that each RAW needs individual processing in my opinion. I use DXO FilmPack5 for the monochrome preset treatment it frees me to keep my developed JPEG in case I want some other processing. you could set up a virtual copy of what ever RAW you will run the preset on and not on the original of course everthing can always be reset if the preset is not to your liking. Give FilmPack5 a look its available in trial for a30 day period. It runs standalone and has a bunch of nice analog B+W film emulations.

This morning being a little less lazy I changed my Workspace by moving the Histogram pallet to the left of the image area. It has always bothered me when making light related adjustments that I had to scroll back to the top of the right pallet area, now its easily viewed as I need it.
01-02-2019, 04:01 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some thoughts as a Photolab user myself:
  • This is to keep in mind, not first: If you have the Elite Version (I think that is what it's called), you can set presets for limited aspects of your process. I rely on this to set some aspects of detail, vibrance, noise reduction, etc. quickly, which I might use for every photo. You might use this to establish a preset that just sets up the FilmPack settings (FilmPack is an essential plugin if you want to really do black and white with DxO) when you are ready to switch over to Black and White (i.e. as a baseline). I actually have one like that. It essentially functions in a similar manner to how it would be if I exported my image over to Silver-Efex.
  • That being said, I do a lot of the editing of my images in color, even if I know I am going to be going to black and white. The difference in this case, is that I will focus my color edits where I know things may matter more in a black and white image. For instance, I'll use more contrast, more details, maybe less noise reduction, and use saturation;vibrance; even white balance to facilitate the final black and white. It's amazing how much impact white balance can have on a final black and white image.
  • The final image through the color phase will rarely be an image I would want to print in color. Again, this is just an intermediate step. I will usually end this phase with any touching up (dust removal, perspective, ca correction, etc) that is needed.
  • After I get through most of what I want to do in color, I will either (a) export to SilverEfex Pro or (b) Use Filmpack to get to DxO's black and white module. I am hopeful at some point SilverEfex will get integrated into Filmpack since DxO now owns the Nik software. In the meantime, I just rely on the Nik Collection I have. I use the .exe file for SilverEfex as a plugin and run a Tiff file into it.
  • Exporting to Filmpack usually means I just set a preset that only chooses the default Filmpack black and white module (as opposed to film specific) and then use the Filmpack workspace to work from there. For my process some of the contrast settings I most commonly use when dealing with black and white are part of the preset.
  • I do have a workspace that I go into that helps with this and is more worthwhile than presets. I don't batch process really, and when I do I am more likely to use temporary presets than generic ones I can always use. That's just my workflow.

I do tend to prefer using Silver Efex. I have a few presets in there that skew my black and whites into a style I like to use (e.g. color toning, grain, etc). I've not gone that far yet with Filmpack and DxO.

Good luck. I do like having a custom workspace / panel in DxO because I find the different panels get to be a bit messy now that I've used the software and know all the features I use. My custom panel is of similar features as posted previously in the long list. Mine doesn't seem so long, but it does cover pretty much all of that.
01-04-2019, 05:48 PM   #10

Original Poster
that is a good mouthful, lol but seriously. I'm thinking along the lines of editing all the specs out of the colour images which I know I have to do and then save some work. ie contrast sharpness white balance then save that as a workspace to then start fine tuning my monochromes.

ie I want to have a starting point, my bad. Not a preset for every image, but the best settings in dxolabs to get me started in fine tuning the final product. And yes I have elite and yes it comes with the filmpack

but I will treat each image individ.

thx