Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2018, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Darktable 2.6 is out

Merry Christmas!

I'm currently playing around with the "Filmic" module. Seems quite promising since I don't really like their fill light module and I think this might be a workaround.

12-24-2018, 02:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Blog posting about new 2.6 features here:

blog | darktable
12-24-2018, 10:17 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like some really good improvements this time. I’ll have to update tomorrow to play with them a bit.
12-25-2018, 10:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Base support for KP/K-1ii/645z added.
Noise profile support for KP now available.

12-25-2018, 12:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I am very happy to see the addition of a noise profile for the Samsung NX1. Can't wait to try it out.

PS: having read the whole blog, I can now say that there are some very impressive new things in this release. Darktable has really grown up.

Last edited by Wasp; 12-25-2018 at 12:39 PM.
12-25-2018, 05:59 PM   #6

Original Poster
The blog post is insane. I'm still absorbing it all.

I really like the filmic module. Haven't really messed with the new retouch system yet.
12-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #7

Sadly, there's only EXE version this time. 2.4.4 had both EXE installer and ZIP portable/standalone Windows versions.

12-29-2018, 11:49 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I finally got my build to work yesterday. The filmic module is quite impressive and covers 99% of the editing I do.

Darktable has really blossomed into a professional raw converter.
12-30-2018, 01:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Indeed. I have started to entertain the idea of going through my old keepers and re-doing them in filmic. It is also amazing how you can rescue a formerly botched shot using the latitude slider, especially with the newer 14-bit sensors. I have changed my dt workflow because of filmic. First thing I do now is disable the base curve.
01-01-2019, 07:28 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I am running Ubuntu 18. Darktable 2.6 is not in the official repository yet. If you are impatient to try the new version (like me) here is what works:

sudo add-apt-repository ppamjdebruijn/darktable-release

The smiley should be a colon followed by a lower case P. Sigh...

You can then do the upgrade in the usual way:

sudo apt-get update

apt upgrade darktable

See here for more info:

Darktable Releases : Pascal de Bruijn
01-09-2019, 02:11 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I am running Ubuntu 18. Darktable 2.6 is not in the official repository yet. If you are impatient to try the new version (like me) here is what works:

sudo add-apt-repository ppamjdebruijn/darktable-release

The smiley should be a colon followed by a lower case P. Sigh...

You can then do the upgrade in the usual way:

sudo apt-get update
apt upgrade darktable

See here for more info:
Darktable Releases : Pascal de Bruijn
Hmmmm. I just upgraded Mint 17.3 to 18.3 (xenial based), and de Bruijn's PPA is only supplying at this writing DT version 2.4.4 for the xenial version of Ubuntu per his information. This is confirmed by DT 2.4.4 being installed as a result of adding the PPA. I'm unclear whether (a) the xenial compatible version will be upgraded to 2.6.0 in the fullness of time, (b) I should upgrade Mint further to 19.x to get DT 2.6.0, or (c) with great agony, use the tar.xz file to build a version with unknown compatibility for Mint 18.3.

In any case, it seems that 2.6.0 will not be the result of upgrading through the PPA if one is using Mint 18.X.
01-09-2019, 05:13 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just guessing here but this likely has to do with the liblensfun version shipped with 2.6.0. Lensfun likely got bumped a version and will not work properly with 2.4.4. Pascal has stated in the past that he will not necessarily support older versions of dt.
01-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My interest is in DT 2.6.0 supporting xenial, not 2.4.4 supporting the latest liblensfun. Comments on his site do not address xenial, only the earlier Ubuntus, so the future status of DT vs. xenial is unclear. Anyway, I'll probably upgrade mint further when I get the time.
01-10-2019, 01:31 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kaseki Quote
Hmmmm. I just upgraded Mint 17.3 to 18.3 (xenial based), and de Bruijn's PPA is only supplying at this writing DT version 2.4.4 for the xenial version of Ubuntu per his information. This is confirmed by DT 2.4.4 being installed as a result of adding the PPA. I'm unclear whether (a) the xenial compatible version will be upgraded to 2.6.0 in the fullness of time, (b) I should upgrade Mint further to 19.x to get DT 2.6.0, or (c) with great agony, use the tar.xz file to build a version with unknown compatibility for Mint 18.3.

In any case, it seems that 2.6.0 will not be the result of upgrading through the PPA if one is using Mint 18.X.
I’m also running Mint 18.3, have been since it was released. I did the tar.xz file build for DT 2.6.0. I have had no compatibility issues in the two weeks I’ve been using it.

But I was never able to get the upgrade from 2.4.4 by any other means.
01-10-2019, 08:32 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm running Darktable on Linux Mint - I'm currently on Mint 19.1. Several months ago when I went to Linux Mint 18.3 I installed the Flatpak (Flathub) version of Darktable from Mint's Software Manager.

One of the advantages of running Flatpaks is that all your installed Flatpak applications are automatically updated whenever you boot your system. And since the Flatpak application repository is kept up-to-date, that means I got Darktable 2.6 very soon after it became available.

I like the features that the Flatpak-based applications offer; not everyone does. However, if you're wanting to run the latest version of Darktable without having to jump through a lot of hoops it's a good way to go in my opinion.