Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #1
Forum Member

Humble Software Bundle: Professional Photography. Is any of this software good?

Hi all,

I don't want to pay $10/mo for Lightroom/Photoshop, so I've been on the search for a more permanent replacement. Humble Bundle is having a Photography software bundle where everything can be had for $25. Can you all take a look at the list and let me know if you have any experience with any of this software?

I don't typically use Photoshop, so really I just want a program that can edit the .dng photos from my K-50 and do batch processing for color, contrast, lighting, etc.

Here's the link:
Humble Software Bundle: Professional Photography (pay what you want and help charity)

Let me know if you have used any of this software!

Thanks in advance.

12-26-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mac or Window$? Because half the bundle is Windows only...
12-26-2018, 04:50 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Mac or Window$? Because half the bundle is Windows only...
Windows! I should have mentioned that, thanks for pointing it out.
12-26-2018, 04:51 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't comment on the software you mention. However...

Having been a committed user of Lightroom 6 stand-alone - and occasionally Photoshop Essentials (14, I think - though it may have been 15) for a few years, about a year ago I switched to Darktable and GIMP for raw processing and image editing respectively. After many months of use, I can report with some confidence that they're just as capable as Adobe's commercial products, albeit with some learning curve involved in switching. Both products are open source and, hence, free of any cost unless you should wish to donate. They're actively developed and updated, and there's a great user support network for them. They're available for both Windows and Linux. If you haven't tried them, I'd urge you to do so

12-27-2018, 12:54 AM - 1 Like   #5
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Both products are open source and, hence, free of any cost unless you should wish to donate. They're actively developed and updated, and there's a great user support network for them.
Yep - given the enthusiasm put into them it is rude to not use them!!
12-27-2018, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Yay to BigMackCam and GUB for supporting open source developments.

It is not uncommon for open source projects to be ahead of commercial offerings. For instance, GIMP had content-aware fill before Photoshop. Darktable supports an advanced form of frequency-separation for retouching. You won't find this in Lightroom or Capture One, for instance. RawTherapee has excellent support for PixelShift, again something you won't find in either Lightroom or Capture One.

The UI may take some getting used to, but I'm sure you'll find it worth it in the end.

N.B., I briefly looked at the humble bundle and found it surprising that there is no explanation of what the products are meant for. I certainly don't know what they are good for in all cases. I'd very carefully research the contents in the bundle and also check whether versions of them are not obtainable for free anyhow.
12-27-2018, 03:52 AM   #7
Pentaxian

My advice (and continuing the trend…): Darktable.

Powerful, sophisticated, free and had a delicious upgrade just 3 days ago.

Best regards,

12-27-2018, 12:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think this bundle absolutely worth the 25 usd, I will buy it. The main program is the ACDSee ultimate.
12-27-2018, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
I think this bundle absolutely worth the 25 usd, I will buy it. The main program is the ACDSee ultimate.
Right... but to be clear, it's a one year subscription to ACDSee Ultimate 2018 - not an outright purchase.
12-28-2018, 04:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know Darktable has a lot of capability, but I found it much less intuitive than RawTherapee. I'm becoming more and more of a fan of RT. I think I'm to the point where I'm getting equal or better results compared to Lightroom 6. Very pleased with the noise reduction capabilities.

12-29-2018, 07:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I bought the bundle.

-The PhotoMirage is fun to use.
-Photolamur is much better then what I expected
-ACDSee 1 year subscription is useful if you don't have Lightroom. It eats a lot of CPU, but less memory and it has the same sliders as Lightroom (approximetly). I wasn't found auto masking with the brush, but it must be there according to the release notes. I've also installed Darktable and RawTherapee. Darktable crashed at the first import on windows 10, RawTherapee had too much sliders, and it was slow.

(I tried only these softwares until now.)
12-29-2018, 08:50 AM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Darktable crashed at the first import on windows 10
Which version of Darktable?

I run both the Linux and Windows versions, and have rarely had any problems with crashing (no more so than with Lightroom)...
12-29-2018, 09:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Which version of Darktable?
The current stable 2.6.0 was it.
12-29-2018, 11:36 AM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The current stable 2.6.0 was it.
OK... I'm still on v2.4.4 and have very few problems (in fact, I can't remember when I last had one... a year ago, maybe?). It has been extremely reliable.

v2.6.0 may be considered stable, but so far as I'm aware it was only released a few days ago. I tend not to use leading edge releases of most software...
12-29-2018, 01:30 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Darktable 2.6 for windows runs perfectly stable on my machine.