best free PP tools poll

Which one do you use and why?

Darktable

darktable

RawTherapee

RawTherapee Blog

Other?

---------- Post added 12-27-18 at 11:18 AM ----------

I use RawTherapee mostly because of Non-destructive editing.

Funny enough I try to do as minimal PP as possible, so just creating jpeg and publishing.

12-27-2018, 04:35 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I've voted Darktable, since that's what I primarily use for raw image development.

However, whilst I applaud your poll thread, I'm not sure the range of choices is wide enough. For instance, I also use GIMP 2.8 for image editing as the next stage of my workflow. Then again, sometimes I use a GIMP add-in to bring a raw file directly into GIMP (especially on my lower-power machines). Plus, I use digiKam for library management, and that too has quite a capable photo editor that handles raw files. Occasionally I use that facility...

But, for the purposes of your existing poll, I'll stick with Darktable
12-27-2018, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Rawtherapee is probably the best one for pentaxians because it has best pixel shift support.
Plus, its UI is less confusing than darktables
12-27-2018, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

RawTherapee is my main RAW converter, although I do use PDCU5 or DxO on occasion. You can easily create settings for each ISO in a pp3 file & apply them to a batch of photos & spit them out in no time. You can do similar batching in DxO as well. Batching requires a bit more "hands on manual labor" in PDCU5, since you can't sort by ISO.

12-27-2018, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not there yet in making a permanent switch. But I have looked at these and Darktable gets my vote based upon my preliminary research.

I am still in Lr4.4 and really want to try something else ... but I will NOT go with the current Lr offers. No way and I am quite hacked at Adobe in general ... plus flickr now, too. I have "invested" my time in both only to have the rug pulled out from underneath, so to speak. Enough said ...

Looking forward to others comments and experiences. Cheers, J
12-27-2018, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Lightzone
12-27-2018, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #7

I voted Darktable because I like it's workflow more and find the organization of it's modules more intuitive and easier to use. It's easier to organize my collections with darktable, whereas RawTherapee offers no such thing. But, as others already stated, I'd like to see some module for processing pixel shifted raws like RawTherapee does. Another benefit for me is that you can extend darktable quite easily via lua-scripts.

12-27-2018, 04:32 PM   #8

I've only used the DCU 3 through 5 and then mostly to try it out. Otherwise I use Photoshop. So I couldn't say what is best without user the other options.

Maybe a better poll would be what free PP tools are you using.
12-27-2018, 05:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Darktable for me unless I am shooting pixel shift. Then it is Rawtherapee -> darktable.
12-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #10
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DCU for excellent IQ out of the box. I tried raw therapy but I can't adjust to the ui structure. Haven't tried darktable yet.

Last edited by sbh; 12-27-2018 at 07:05 PM.
12-27-2018, 11:29 PM   #11
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with BigMacCam in that open source you use several apps specific for each job. IE in your open-source toolbox you have a screwdriver, a chisel and a pry bar. In the microsoft toolbox you have one large badly munted screwdriver!!
02-04-2019, 06:33 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I've voted Darktable, since that's what I primarily use for raw image development.

However, whilst I applaud your poll thread, I'm not sure the range of choices is wide enough. For instance, I also use GIMP 2.8 for image editing as the next stage of my workflow. Then again, sometimes I use a GIMP add-in to bring a raw file directly into GIMP (especially on my lower-power machines). Plus, I use digiKam for library management, and that too has quite a capable photo editor that handles raw files. Occasionally I use that facility...

But, for the purposes of your existing poll, I'll stick with Darktable
rullrich - I downloaded Darktable. Looks impressive but is there a tutorial somewhere in it that will help me get started? I can't figure out how to convert a RAW to JPG and save a new image, for starters.

Frank
02-04-2019, 08:38 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frank29 Quote
rullrich - I downloaded Darktable. Looks impressive but is there a tutorial somewhere in it that will help me get started? I can't figure out how to convert a RAW to JPG and save a new image, for starters.

Frank
I started a few weeks ago with Darktable and I was in the same boat. Where do I start. I watched a few of the intro videos on YouTube, to just get my feet wet.

I'd search individual items, like white balance, exposure...just to start the learning process.

Get through a couple pictures from raw to jpg and add a couple tutorials a day.
To me it was a bit overwhelming with all the sliders and options. I just had to focus on a little at a time.
02-04-2019, 09:43 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’m a lot like BigMackCam and tend to use several on a regular basis, all depending what I’m doing. Darktable and Rawtherapee are my go-to but I like Digicam especially for batch editing. I’ve set parameters on 200 images to include renaming them with Digicam and just walk away for a few moments. I also use Gimp, especially for printing ever since I found TurboPrint as a plug in for Gimp. It gives me Lightroom printing control with advanced color management.
02-05-2019, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Frank29 Quote

Frank
Hi Frank - @Riggomatic has suggested YouTube videos, and they're a great place to get tutorial information. But don't forget the extensive and quite helpful darktable manual, here:

https://www.darktable.org/usermanual/en/

Whilst it might not be as intuitive or fun as video tutorials, it covers a lot of ground and is well worth reading. At the very least, it's useful to dip into - though I'd recommend you try to read it. It's better than most manuals for commercial software, in my opinion