Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #1
Pentaxian

X-Rite Custom Camera Profiling for Capture One Pro

X-Rite has made a public beta software available that allows one to create a camera profile for Capture One Pro, using one of the X-rite colour targets, such as the "ColorChecker Passport".

Previously, one had to resort to the €100 Lumariver solution or go through a number of manual steps using DCamProf.

I'm looking forward to giving this a go.

Last edited by Class A; 01-09-2019 at 08:00 PM.
01-10-2019, 08:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would it be usable to make profiles for the K1MkII (given that the cam isn't officially supported?)
01-10-2019, 06:27 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
X-Rite has made a public beta software available that allows one to create a camera profile for Capture One Pro, using one of the X-rite colour targets, such as the "ColorChecker Passport".

Previously, one had to resort to the 100 Lumariver solution or go through a number of manual steps using DCamProf.

I'm looking forward to giving this a go.
Thanks for posting this. I look forward to trying it out when I get a chance.
01-10-2019, 10:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
Would it be usable to make profiles for the K1MkII (given that the cam isn't officially supported?)
I don't see why not.

Just set the K-1 II to produce DNG files and use those for calibration purposes (with a linear curve as per instructions).

Once you have restarted C1, the new K-1 II profile should be one of the available camera profiles.

I guess you'll have to continue shooting DNG files, as I presume C1 won't accept K-1 II .PEF files.

I don't see any downsides to using the DNG format, on the contrary.

01-10-2019, 11:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I tried it last night and it's looking good. One niggle would be that the profile's contrast is quite low. Seems C1 is doing something with the curve before applying the color profile. Will have to experiment a little further...
01-11-2019, 05:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
One niggle would be that the profile's contrast is quite low.
What curve (in "BASE CHARACTERISTICS") has C1 chosen when you look at images with the new profile?

A different curve choice may already improve the contrast.

You may also make some adjustments -- e.g., contrast, tone curve, levels, etc. -- and then save these adjustments together with the camera profile selection as a style to be applied during image import.
01-11-2019, 06:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Setting auto, I think it uses a flat curve.
If you set it to Film High contrast the results are already much better, but I need some more experimenting...
01-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #8
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Setting auto, I think it uses a flat curve.
If you set it to Film High contrast the results are already much better, but I need some more experimenting...
In C1 Auto => Film Standard, they are the same curves.
Linear Response is just that - flat line no curve at all.

As one of the people who has poked C1 to allow the use of Color Checker Passport this software is nice to have especially when shooting under lighting conditions that are not available in the Phase One labs. This product is good news for some of us who want to take the time to produce custom icc profiles for things we shoot.

Remember, icc profiles and curves are not the same thing.