Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Problems with Luminar 3 uninstall?

Yesterday I decided to download the trial version of Luminar 3, I'm sorry I did. The Luminar3.exe loaded fine and everything installed but when I tried to run Luminar 3 it gave me the error "could not find database". I tried a reinstall but same thing happened. I decided to uninstall the program and the only option was to install again. I searched the Skylum/Luminar3/ folders and there was no uninstall executable to be found. I went through all the Skylum support pages and they all recommend using the windows uninstall feature which won't work if there is no unintstall executable and then clearing the registry of all left over Luminar3 entries. This is a total joke.

Has anyone else had this problem as I want this crap off my system, I'm having to delete the Luminar files manually from the program files directory and then cleaning the registry.

01-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They are a Macintosh oriented software company, they used to be Macphun...

Get a real OS that doesn't have a registry...
01-10-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been using it on Windows for over a year now, with no problems.
01-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Really, when you want to uninstall something in Windows, I think it is best to start in the windows control panel rather than try to find an uninstall file somewhere. Selecting the program and selecting uninstall will be a bit more reliable and save the hassle of finding the uninstall file.

The problem is that when software is installed, some parts of it are placed in other locations besides in the "Program Files" (or wherever you choose to install the program). For instance, many files will be placed in an Program Data or App Data folders, which end up holding original install data or per-user data for the software (that may be where an uninstall.exe is). Uninstalling through the system will likely remove all files, including ones you may not find.

I've never had a software not be able to be uninstalled in Windows, so I would be surprised if this one couldn't. I believe even Windows has a routine to uninstall software that goes through a formal install, but I don't know. How thorough uninstalls are may be a different story. But it is what it is.

01-10-2019, 07:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
They are a Macintosh oriented software company, they used to be Macphun...

Get a real OS that doesn't have a registry...
Man that sure answered my question thanks! Actually if those DAs intended to write software for windows they should possibly hire a few programmers familiar with Windows uninstall proceedures.
01-10-2019, 07:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
Really, when you want to uninstall something in Windows, I think it is best to start in the windows control panel rather than try to find an uninstall file somewhere. Selecting the program and selecting uninstall will be a bit more reliable and save the hassle of finding the uninstall file.

The problem is that when software is installed, some parts of it are placed in other locations besides in the "Program Files" (or wherever you choose to install the program). For instance, many files will be placed in an Program Data or App Data folders, which end up holding original install data or per-user data for the software (that may be where an uninstall.exe is). Uninstalling through the system will likely remove all files, including ones you may not find.

I've never had a software not be able to be uninstalled in Windows, so I would be surprised if this one couldn't. I believe even Windows has a routine to uninstall software that goes through a formal install, but I don't know. How thorough uninstalls are may be a different story. But it is what it is.
Eric I used the Windows 10 uninstall routine through the control panel, I am very familiar with most windows features, I've been using Windows since the original windows program was released years ago. I downloaed a trial copy of Luminar 2018 and it installed correctly and uninstalled via the L2018 uninstall routine with no problem. So there was definitely a problem with the program. There are several complaints on the Skylum Community forum regarding this "small" problem. One of the suggested fixes from the Skylum folks was to do a manual uninstall which I had to do

I guess they won't get any of my money.

Last edited by Larrymc; 01-10-2019 at 08:12 PM.
01-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I've been using it on Windows for over a year now, with no problems.
Are you using Luminar3 or Luminar 2018? 2018 installs and uninstalls correctly. There are numerous complaints about not being able to uninstall Luminar3.

01-10-2019, 09:15 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try this one:

Revo Uninstaller Pro - Uninstall Software, Remove Programs easily, Forced Uninstall, Leftovers Uninstaller, Portable Uninstaller

I've used it to uninstall programs that won't uninstall in Windows for years.
01-10-2019, 09:31 PM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Are you using Luminar3 or Luminar 2018? 2018 installs and uninstalls correctly. There are numerous complaints about not being able to uninstall Luminar3.
Luminar 2018.
01-11-2019, 06:22 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Try this one:

Revo Uninstaller Pro - Uninstall Software, Remove Programs easily, Forced Uninstall, Leftovers Uninstaller, Portable Uninstaller

I've used it to uninstall programs that won't uninstall in Windows for years.
Thanks, even Revo could not uninstall it, I use Revo as my go to uninstaller and it really works well in advanced mode. I have found one other program that has no uninstall routine loaded with it and that's Avast Antivirus, you have to get their uninstaller from their website.
01-11-2019, 06:24 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Luminar 2018.
Luminar 2018 has an uninstaller executable installed with it, I found a trial copy and it installed and uninstalled fine.
01-11-2019, 07:01 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Thanks, even Revo could not uninstall it, I use Revo as my go to uninstaller and it really works well in advanced mode. I have found one other program that has no uninstall routine loaded with it and that's Avast Antivirus, you have to get their uninstaller from their website.
That's strange Revo couldn't uninstall it.

I stay away from Avast. So have no problem with it, not uninstalling.
01-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Not to digress, but most anti-virus software does not uninstall well.

The problem with manually uninstalling software is that remnants can be found in multiple areas. The Program Files and App Data folders tend to hold onto a lot of files (usually settings), but when you uninstall (and reinstall) it is often because of faulty settings that will remain in place for a reinstall. Doesn't matter if you don't ever reinstall, but it can be a hassle.

Anyway, sorry to the OP that you have to go through that hassle.
01-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
Not to digress, but most anti-virus software does not uninstall well.

The problem with manually uninstalling software is that remnants can be found in multiple areas. The Program Files and App Data folders tend to hold onto a lot of files (usually settings), but when you uninstall (and reinstall) it is often because of faulty settings that will remain in place for a reinstall. Doesn't matter if you don't ever reinstall, but it can be a hassle.

Anyway, sorry to the OP that you have to go through that hassle.
Thanks, we live and learn. I've learned that Skylum is using customers for Beta Testers, not me. I think I found all the orphaned files. I would think the reason AV software doesn't uninstall well is so that it can't be easily defeated by malware.
01-11-2019, 10:25 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
That's strange Revo couldn't uninstall it.

I stay away from Avast. So have no problem with it, not uninstalling.
Revo uses the uninstall executable as its uninstaller then looks for leftover files in several folders and offers you the option of deleting the leftovers. As far as I know the windows uninstall routine leaves these left over files in place and you have to use a program similar to Ccleaner to scrub the leftovers.

Several years ago Avast was a decent AV program that had a small footprint but not any more.