Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2019, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Crop to split panorama into 3

Hey guys,

I'm turning a panorama into a split 3 piece (for printing on 3 16x20 metal frameless prints). Is it customary to modify the crops to account for the 2 gaps between the pieces, or is it better to just perfectly split the pano in 3?

Cheers,
Jeff

Last edited by jeffshaddix; 01-19-2019 at 06:42 PM.
01-19-2019, 07:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's called a tryptic. Google that or add photograph to the search and check images.
01-19-2019, 08:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suspect the answer is 'whichever best pleases the eye.' If you perfectly split them the diagonal curves will look like they have a step across them. If you remove the covering gap to give the appearance of looking through the frame the lines will flow but you'll lose the width of the two frames. If it was in my house, a prefect split would irritate me (for this particular image.)

Great image btw.
01-19-2019, 10:11 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Why not just print it as a one photo?

01-20-2019, 05:41 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I have ordered triptych's in the past, I have submitted the photo in its original edited form. Since all 3 pieces are going to be printed to the same exact size, the printing service should do the splitting for you. I've only had them done on canvas, but I would imagine that it would work the same, regardless of surface.
01-20-2019, 06:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Hey guys,

I'm turning a panorama into a split 3 piece (for printing on 3 16x20 metal frameless prints). Is it customary to modify the crops to account for the 2 gaps between the pieces, or is it better to just perfectly split the pano in 3?

Cheers,
Jeff
How large is the gap going to be? If small like an 1" or 2", I'd try to preserve the continuity. If large like 5" or more, doesn't matter. My son-in-law did one with frames and the gap is too large with frame and trisecting the wide photo. Why not try doing it in Photoshop and stand different distances from the various gaps. Make the background same as wall where images will hang.

RONC

Really interesting image!!
01-20-2019, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help guys!

I ended up cropping to account for the gap to maintain continuity. I did a side-by-side in photoshop with both options and it was clear that cropping properly to keep the continuous lines was important. I decided to go for a 1" gap between three pieces of 20"x24", to make 62"x24" as the final piece. I printed on metal, and it'll hang in my hobbit hole library above the fireplace.

Cheers!

01-21-2019, 12:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I ended up cropping to account for the gap to maintain continuity.
Good call. The appeal of your image lies in the flowing lines.
01-21-2019, 01:01 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for all the help guys!

I ended up cropping to account for the gap to maintain continuity. I did a side-by-side in photoshop with both options and it was clear that cropping properly to keep the continuous lines was important. I decided to go for a 1" gap between three pieces of 20"x24", to make 62"x24" as the final piece. I printed on metal, and it'll hang in my hobbit hole library above the fireplace.

Cheers!
Jeff,

Glad you found a solution. Is it possible that you could put a screen dump here so others can see what you did in the Photoshop comparison? I'm fascinated by the geology depicted in the image. Where was the image acquired? Near you hobbit hole?

Cheers,
RONC
01-21-2019, 11:28 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
Jeff,

Glad you found a solution. Is it possible that you could put a screen dump here so others can see what you did in the Photoshop comparison? I'm fascinated by the geology depicted in the image. Where was the image acquired? Near you hobbit hole?

Cheers,
RONC
Cheers! I'll upload the comparison later tonight. I've got a separate thread to discuss the actual photo here:

Haleakala Summit - PentaxForums.com
01-21-2019, 05:57 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cheers! I'll upload the comparison later tonight. I've got a separate thread to discuss the actual photo here:

Haleakala Summit - PentaxForums.com
Jeff,

Thanks. Love that image. Nowhere near Albuquerque.

RONC
01-21-2019, 10:19 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
@rechmbrs
Attached are the two side-by-sides. The top has crops to account for the 1" gap between images, the bottom one is three equal crops of the combined pano. I chose the top one. Cheers!
Attached Images

01-21-2019, 10:22 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The top feels better, natural, right.
01-22-2019, 07:02 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Larger gap and dark gap test

@rechmbrs
Attached are the two side-by-sides. The top has crops to account for the 1" gap between images, the bottom one is three equal crops of the combined pano. I chose the top one. Cheers!

I decided to show what happens with a larger gap as well as a black gap. Also I retained the full width when inserting the gap and worked the gaps from the center to the edges.

WHITE GAP
Top: Starting file
Mid: Overlay gaps on Top
Low: Insert gaps between trisected Top

Name:  JHSP5775-Edit-2-XL-RC-W.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  163.7 KB

BLACK GAP
Top: Starting file
Mid: Overlay gaps on Top
Low: Insert gaps between trisected Top

Name:  JHSP5775-Edit-2-XL-RC-B.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  161.9 KB

I prefer the gaps overlain on both but the dark background is better in my view. You could paint a dark rectangle on the wall around the images.

Interesting simulations.

RONC
01-23-2019, 06:44 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@jeffshaddix

Just for fun.

Name:  JHSP5775-Edit-2-XL-RC-Diag.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  170.3 KB Would be displayed as one image.

RONC