Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2019, 02:04 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Fixing Adobe's problem with maps in LR 5 and LR 6

Since Adobe seems to try to grab a lot of money from users but not fix their self caused problems, some users have worked on the issue that LR 5 and 6 map functionality is still broken.

GitHub - astuder/lightroom-map-fix: Fixing the Map module in Lightroom Classic

This is not for noobs.

The better free map module replacements are GeoSetter (Description - GeoSetter), which can use OpenStreetmaps and darktable (darktable).

01-20-2019, 02:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

While annoying and frustrating for users of LR 4, 5, 6 and early CC versions that one part of a working application failed, perhaps Adobe stance is not totally unfair.

Support for all these products in the LR line up finished some time ago and was well published.

The issue has been caused by Google actually changing its API calls. Adobe is under no obligation to fix this type of problem caused by others making changes.

Good to see however there is a workaround for those users that wish to stay with older non supported applications
01-21-2019, 05:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I personally don't like the workaround... I don't want to modify an installation using a personal key, having to - I guess? - pair a credit card to your Google Account, set limits etc... it's not somethingI am comfortable with.
Giving the option to use OpenStreetMap like Geosetter does would have definitely been preferable, but I imagine this had to come from Adobe, because it might not be as simple as switching a key with another.

But thanks nonetheless to those who devised this method, and more power to those who will use it.
Me, I guess I'll continue using GeoSetter.
01-21-2019, 06:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just use Garmin Base Camp or Google Earth for maps.

01-23-2019, 05:22 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If one just wants to use GPX to encode, or copy from Google Earth, or to show an image location in Google Maps, Apple Maps, OpenStreetMap, etc, get Friedl's geolocation plugin. It can do all that and more, and works back to Lr 3.