Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2019, 04:04 AM   #91
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
And, to continue the conversation, I find I've developed a new "pet peeve": over-sharpening. I realize that those with ressolution-impairment (i.e., people with good color vision) see the world in terms of blobs of color, and oversharpening can compensate for that deficiency by making it appear that there is more detail in the picture than what they'd be able to see normally. But since I have high-resolution vision (being color-blind), overly-sharpened pictures come out looking like pictures of sand. There comes a point where sharpening in software turns into a form of distracting distortion. It takes "grainy" to a new level otherwise achieved only with very high ISO values.

06-25-2019, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #92
Pentaxian

Too much post-processing (whether really done afterwards or done in the setting of the in-camera jpegs) is the bane of digital photography, especially the boosting of saturation and contrast, and leads to unpleasant, garish pictures.

It's the same as with all other types of art - less is more, and the key is in having a good balance. If the only way you can make your images look good (to you) is to artificially boost saturation and contrast then it's a bad photo, or you lack the skill to change it into a good one. Boosting sat. & con. is not a skill, it's a lack of skill.