Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
01-28-2019, 02:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Try something?

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I agree. Yesterday I've played with some raw images to try things out. Different parts of an image relate to each other, including contrasts. It's hard to transform a badly exposed image into a good one with post processing. Correct exposure of different par of the image is essential to be able to take advantage of the post processing. Applied light can reveal so much and give the extra headroom for the post processing. Then the post processing is a set of trade-offs.

---------- Post added 28-01-19 at 19:49 ----------

I've tried that again yesterday and compared it to the unsharp method. Both methods do not give the same results but similar, the clarity / noise approach is more straightforward and allows to play with sharpness separately.

Guys,
I've played with something for a while. It is a Spatial Frequency by octave Photoshop script. You input you file and it outputs a file with the input, DC, and eight octaves as layers. You can then review to identify within each octave your weak or strong portions you wish to fix. I'm hoping that this extra separation makes the anomalies apparent for you.

Because these are normal looking layers, you can burn, dodge, whatever you wish to make stronger or weaker. Once you have id'd the areas and applied the cure, you can then run a companion script to put is all back together into a single layer. This Photoshop script is located at: __SST-Save.zip. Unzip it, and copy to the script folder in Photoshop. This should run on Win or Mac Photoshop CC. The file used as input should not be your original but a copy and probably should be flattened before calling this routine.

The companion script is broken right now but try to see if Spatial Frequency separation allows you to identify the anomalous areas.

Have a try please and I'll fix what I screwed up in the companion.

Cheers,
RONC

Last edited by rechmbrs; 01-28-2019 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Forgot mention that the script is Photoshop CC
01-28-2019, 05:50 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Have you taken a look at DxO Photolab 2? It has separate sliders for both contrast and microcontrast.
01-28-2019, 11:47 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Craigbob Quote
Have you taken a look at DxO Photolab 2? It has separate sliders for both contrast and microcontrast.
I've been looking at image processing software options. I like DXO but the company went bust, so I decided not to go that route. I found Lr rather expensive. And wasn't convinced by other software alternatives for raw conversion and supporting Pentax latest camera models. The only software that fully support Pentax K1 / K1 II and that doesn't cost much and that is faster to process than PDCU was Silkypix, but Silkypix has more limited functionality that others.
01-29-2019, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been looking at image processing software options. I like DXO but the company went bust, so I decided not to go that route. I found Lr rather expensive. And wasn't convinced by other software alternatives for raw conversion and supporting Pentax latest camera models. The only software that fully support Pentax K1 / K1 II and that doesn't cost much and that is faster to process than PDCU was Silkypix, but Silkypix has more limited functionality that others.
Does RawTherapee or Darktable not sufficiently support the K-1/K-1ii? I rented a K-1 a month ago and did all my processing, including pixel shift, with RT and it seemed to work well. Although it may not support hand-held pixel shift in the K-1ii.

01-29-2019, 09:41 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Does RawTherapee or Darktable not sufficiently support the K-1/K-1ii?
Color cast no at all aligned with native Pentax rendering. RAWtherapee can recognize K1 in the exif but the colors after demosaicing don't match the Pentax color baseline.
01-29-2019, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DxO is still in business and just released an update to Photolab2. I think it's worth the time and money. I get better post processed images from DxO than I do from LR, and I've been using LR since before it was LR (Raw Photoshooter Pro).
01-29-2019, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Craigbob Quote
DxO is still in business and just released an update to Photolab2. I think it's worth the time and money. I get better post processed images from DxO than I do from LR, and I've been using LR since before it was LR (Raw Photoshooter Pro).
I had compared raw conversions from trial version, and DXO was one of the best.

01-29-2019, 12:38 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Color cast no at all aligned with native Pentax rendering. RAWtherapee can recognize K1 in the exif but the colors after demosaicing don't match the Pentax color baseline.
Might be different with the K-1 but if you shoot dng and choose "Camera Standard" under "color > color management > input profile "my K-3 gets pretty close if you select "auto match tone curve" in the exposure module and tweak the exposure compensation.
01-29-2019, 12:48 PM   #24
Pentaxian

In aperture it's Definition, and you can brush it where you want it.
01-29-2019, 01:55 PM   #25
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Does RawTherapee or Darktable not sufficiently support the K-1/K-1ii? I rented a K-1 a month ago and did all my processing, including pixel shift, with RT and it seemed to work well. Although it may not support hand-held pixel shift in the K-1ii.
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Might be different with the K-1 but if you shoot dng and choose "Camera Standard" under "color > color management > input profile "my K-3 gets pretty close if you select "auto match tone curve" in the exposure module and tweak the exposure compensation.
Yes, assuming the dcraw profile for the K-1 / K-1II is correct (and I have no reason to be believe why it shouldn't be), RawTherapee's "Auto match tone curve" function should get very close indeed to how the in-camera JPEG engine would render. I've only just recently started using RawTherapee, not as a replacement for Darktable but rather and addition / alternative, and this is a very impressive feature that works extremely well.

As @house suggested, it works well with K-3 files...
01-29-2019, 03:20 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Love DXO.
01-29-2019, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yes, assuming the dcraw profile for the K-1 / K-1II is correct (and I have no reason to be believe why it shouldn't be), RawTherapee's "Auto match tone curve" function should get very close indeed to how the in-camera JPEG engine would render. I've only just recently started using RawTherapee, not as a replacement for Darktable but rather and addition / alternative, and this is a very impressive feature that works extremely well.

As @house suggested, it works well with K-3 files...
I've been using RawTherapee for four or five months now and am a little embarrassed to admit I didn't realize that's what Auto matched tone curves were doing.

01-29-2019, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #28
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been using RawTherapee for four or five months now and am a little embarrassed to admit I didn't realize that's what Auto matched tone curves were doing.
Don't be embarassed. I have lightbulb moments all the time in every aspect of photography and post-processing... often with something I've been doing for months or even years

So, assuming the dcraw profile for your camera exists and has been accurately produced, auto match tone curve will look at the embedded JPEG image within the raw file and adjust the tone curve to achieve a surprisingly accurate recreation. It's pretty awesome, actually, and something I wish Darktable had...
01-30-2019, 12:28 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
RawTherapee's "Auto match tone curve" function should get very close indeed to how the in-camera JPEG engine would render.
Yes, I understood that feature, comaring it to sames images processed with PDCU showed me that the auto match feature is skewed by a visible amount.
01-30-2019, 03:01 AM   #30
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I understood that feature, comaring it to sames images processed with PDCU showed me that the auto match feature is skewed by a visible amount.
Interesting. That may mean the dcraw profile for the camera isn't well produced, or it could be that the auto match tone curve feature is more approximate than I'd thought...

Out of interest, have you used any raw processor that was able to give you the same colours and tone curve as PDCU?