Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2019, 06:06 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The LightZone happy thread

Hello,

I tried yesterday LightZone from LightZone.org Open-source digital darkroom software for Windows/Mac/Linux

It seem to have better raw handling than DCU...

Just one (my first) question : where is the contrast slider ?

01-28-2019, 09:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The software is great and runs off a different philosophy than every other software out there.

I seem to recall that the contrast is primarily handled through the zone mapper and I suppose initially using its Raw Tone Curve. You essentially use the graduated zones in those curves to adjust their size and conversely the contrast. It is a bit like the curves tool you get in most typical software.

Other than that vague explanation, they do have some good info on their web page as it does require a little bit of work to wrap your head around what the program does. I've not used it in a while, so I'm not sure if they have improved on it at all. It was actually a great program, just not enough for me to go at full time. I should check it out again, however, it shined at converting for black and white.
01-28-2019, 11:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi, there, fs999!

I help run the LightZone Project, and I can help you with this, but I am at work right now and just finishing lunch break, so I can't explain right now----but let's exchange messages later on. I am on the east coast of the U.S., so we have a time zone difference.

Tex Andrews
01-28-2019, 05:33 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lightzone has a development philosophy that seems based in part on the old Ansel Adams zone philosophy. I used to use it years ago, and found it very good. But I have since moved on to other SW. I should give it a try again.

Here's an interesting take on the Zone System of Photography: Understanding & Using Ansel Adam's Zone System

01-29-2019, 03:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you all ! It's a nice piece of software !
01-29-2019, 01:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Sorry, still a bit busy...

My wife had out-patient ankle surgery today, but we've been busy going to, being at, and coming back from the hospital all day. Just got back and got her settled, but now have all the rest of my "chores" to do. Probably won't get to this until tomorrow morning. We do have some examples of how tools work on the website and on Youtube (links on the site...). More tomorrow. Sorry, but it's been a bit nutty since she broke her ankle last Wednesday while abroad on business.